Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live & eircom netopia modem

Options
  • 04-06-2005 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

i've recently signed up for broadband with eircom and received my modem during the week. the broadband works fine on the PC but i cannot connect to xbox live.
    has anyone got a solution to this.
    i've tried eircom tech support with the usual response, bull****.
    different calls resulted in a range of feeble excuses...

1. my Ethernet cable is too cheep
    2. my xbox is too new
    3. it works in our lab ( i got this lovely quote. me "what about the real world scenario" Tech support "i don't care about the real world")
    4. my cordless phone is giving interference
    5. no one else has reported this (i know of two others)
    6. we don't guarantee our service works past the point of entry to the house.
    7. xbox live service is down at the moment.

the eircom web site suggests specifying xbox live games under NAT services and updating the netopia software. i've tried both of these and still nothing.
    can anyone help, if i have to call eircom again i'll got nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

mogwaifearsatan,

When your xbox fails to connect to get into xbox live do you then run the network troubleshooter ?/

If so make sure that your xbox is acctually getting an ip address, by default it should be a 192.168.0.xx number and the gateway should be 192.168.0.254

If however your xbox tells you that its ip address is 168.xx.xx.xx (a private ip address) or if it is simply 0.0.0.0 it would sugest a cabling problem.

However if the network troubleshooter finds no faults and you are still unable to get into xbox live try setting up a PPPoE connection using the username eircom and broadband1

At the moment this is the only thing that comes to mind, as i dont have bb (i run xbox live over isdn) i am unable to give you any further clues as to what it maybe that is causing your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

You'd be better off calling xbox live support. http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/support
    there's a good FAQ and there's a freephone 1-800 number to call.

(interesting that Eircom told you "xbox live service is down at the moment" seeing as they wouldn't have that information. you might want to mention that to xbox when you call... that'll give them a laugh I'm sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Notintheface

I've got the exact same problem, actually came to the boards to see if anyone had a solution. I can get around it, but not without leaving my network wide open. If you click on Firewall in the Netopia admin page, and set the security level to Low, xbox live suddenly starts to work (you will probably have to restart the router and the xbox). Your PC will also start to get hammered with trojans, viruses, port scans and just about anything else you can think of within minutes though.

Like you said, the Netopia modem has pre-defined settings for opening the ports required by xbox live, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I'm still trying to find out what else I need to do without having to set the security level to Low. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

I wouldn't bother rining eircom again, you'll just run up your blood pressure and your phone bill. Going to try Microsoft myself if I can't get it working. They might be out for world domination but at least they have fairly solid tech support to back up the attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MogwaiFearSatan

i'd allready checked the isp/ dns settings and they where correct but the pppoe settings worked.
    THANKS A MILLION.
    back on line at last.

your a star, my gamertag is rasher, feel free to add me.

also on contacting xbox tech support and ratting out eircom, i did. :)

Blitz wrote:
    mogwaifearsatan,

When your xbox fails to connect to get into xbox live do you then run the network troubleshooter ?/

If so make sure that your xbox is acctually getting an ip address, by default it should be a 192.168.0.xx number and the gateway should be 192.168.0.254

If however your xbox tells you that its ip address is 168.xx.xx.xx (a private ip address) or if it is simply 0.0.0.0 it would sugest a cabling problem.

However if the network troubleshooter finds no faults and you are still unable to get into xbox live try setting up a PPPoE connection using the username eircom and broadband1

At the moment this is the only thing that comes to mind, as i dont have bb (i run xbox live over isdn) i am unable to give you any further clues as to what it maybe that is causing your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smitty7234

Hi guys
    I know this is an old thread but i'm having the exact same problem as this :rolleyes:. I tried putting the username as eircom & the password as broadband1 but it couldn't find the IP address then. I didn't put anything in the last box & have probably done something stupid & straight forward but can't figure out what? Could someone please give me a step by step guide for dummys (me :o). I can get on with the firewall on low but don't want to do this.
    Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

smitty7234 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I know this is an old thread but i'm having the exact same problem as this :rolleyes:. I tried putting the username as eircom & the password as broadband1 but it couldn't find the IP address then. I didn't put anything in the last box & have probably done something stupid & straight forward but can't figure out what? Could someone please give me a step by step guide for dummys (me :o). I can get on with the firewall on low but don't want to do this.
    Thanks guys

Sorry but it has to be set to low. Dont worry about it though, iv had broadband for about a year now with the firewall on low and never had a problem. Just make sure you have a firewall on your computer (you can get a free one off the internet, think avg have one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Your PC will also start to get hammered with trojans, viruses, port scans

are you for real? ive had my netopia set to low for 3 years now and i havent had a trojan or virus. the netopia routers firewall has to be set to low in order to connect to xbox live or get maximum speed from torrents.

my advice is stay away from dirty sites and watch what you download.

also go here for decent free anti-virus software www.avast.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rkeano16

Iv had my xbox live working fine for the last year and all of a sudden it disconnects me from xbox live for nothing.I try to connect again and it gives me them soutions which i try and they dont work so theres nothing i can do.Anybody have any ideas i badly need this fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kangagarrett

rkeano16 wrote: »
    Iv had my xbox live working fine for the last year and all of a sudden it disconnects me from xbox live for nothing.I try to connect again and it gives me them soutions which i try and they dont work so theres nothing i can do.Anybody have any ideas i badly need this fixed.

Well i was in the same boat. Netopia router, bloody eircom connection, couldn't get xbox live at all. So listened to these guys on a forum saying 'oh turn your firewall to low'. DONT DO THAT!!!!!!! My computer was busted because of that, full of trojans and stuff now. So what i did was, and strangely enough it works now(with fifa and halo 3 anyway), i put my ethernet cable into my laptop 'Dell inspiron 1525' (which has Windows vista). And without fiddling around with the firewall, xbox live was working!!!!!!!! I have a wireless connection from the laptop to the Netopia router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

also go here for decent free anti-virus software www.avast.com[/quote]

dont go near advast its **** just buy norton its the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i can get the IP address and all that but the media connection fails to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

are you for real? ive had my netopia set to low for 3 years now and i havent had a trojan or virus. the netopia routers firewall has to be set to low in order to connect to xbox live or get maximum speed from torrents.

my advice is stay away from dirty sites and watch what you download.

is that true if i set it to low my download speed of torrents will increase?? my speed is shockin takes me forever to downlaod stuff with utorrent... and wahts this using different ports business?
    got a link were i can look up how to maximise my utorrent download speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i can get the IP address and all that but the media connection fails to connect.
    anybody?any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gazza087

i have tried to connect to xbox live and it wont let me unless i download an update first but everytime i try to download it fails, i have run the connection test in the settings of the xbox 360 and it registers the xbox 360 the connection and internet are all working.

my PC is connected wireless through the netopia eircom router i dont think thats the problem as i connect the xbox 360 directly to the netopia box with a broadband cable, ive changed the ip and everthing else on the xbox settings, turned the router and box off and on, followed all the FAQ on xbox support but notting seems to help.
    really fustrated that ive and xbox 360 and cant work online with it got fifa10 and cant access any live information on the teams.:confused:

can anyone help? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 harlequins_lute

Make sure you have all your settings taken down and any info backed up

But thsi worked for me when having Live/Fifa 10 issues
    Go to the Xbox 360 dashboard, system settings, console settings, system info
    Reset the Xbox 360 to factory settings by doing the following

Press the following key combination

Left Trigger, Right Trigger, X, Y, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, Up, Left Bumper, Left Bumper, X

You then re run the Xbox 360 set up

I did try the initial setup at the start but it did not make a difference, this method seems to work for me.

I can no get into game lobbies and into the Fifa 10 store.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

How exactly do i change the pppoe,is it on the router settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

dont go near advast its **** just buy norton its the best[/QUOTE]

don't buy norton - it's terrible and slows everything down to a standstill and is a pain in the arse to remove - pure rip off - don't touch it with a barge pole

get AVG or Avast and get Malwarebytes and you'll be flying -

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rossd

You might face some issues with Xbox Live connection when your internet service provider is Eircom and your router or modem is a Netopia one.
    Actually this might happen to you because your router needs configuration.
    So let's go through the steps to do this router's configuration and you'll find your Xbox Live connection fine after this.

First we'll need to go on the PC.
    And open the internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. Now you've accessed Netopia's settings page.
    On the menu to the left you'll find Firewall, click on it and select Low then save the changes.
    On the menu to the left you'll find Expert Mode, click on it then Yes to enter Expert Mode.
    On the menu to the left click on Configure, then Advanced then NAT.
    Now you'll find Service Name so scroll down the menu until you find Xbox Live Games. Now click Enable then Enable again.
    On the menu to the left click on Configure then Connection.
    Then on the main page scroll down until you find UPnP and check that box.
    Then Save.
    And finally turn off the Netopia router then turn it back on again.
    Now you'll go on Xbox Live and everything would be working fine.

I hope this helps you.

Read more: http://xbox360help.blogspot.com/2007/09/xbox-live-eircom-router-netopia.html#ixzz1DwIA9klL

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Dude this thread is six years old;) Who ya talking too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 jaonphoto

clived2 wrote: »
    Dude this thread is six years old;) Who ya talking too

Just because a thread is old does not mean that some else might not be interested. Old threads with good information are always useful for people trying to troubleshoot tech problems. For example ME and NOW :)

Advertisement