Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH with upcoming Electricity Outage

Options
  • 17-06-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have been moved to WFH from initially working at the office since the start of the pandemic.

Recently received a letter from ESB that there will be an electricity outage for a full day next week due to network upgrades.

Informed employer and they have advised that I will have to take a day out of annual leave to cover this. I feel that this is unjustified as this is out of my hands and I did not enter the job as a WFH employee.

Has anybody dealt with this before or have any ideas how to approach this? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

the other option would be go to a friends house and maybe stay outside with an extension lead, or use your car to power your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there space in the office perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭djan

the other option would be go to a friends house and maybe stay outside with an extension lead, or use your car to power your laptop

Not sure if serious but work requires a multi screen desktop set up in a closed off area so that wouldn't work.

listermint wrote: »
    Is there space in the office perhaps ?

Happy to go into the office and asked but it remains closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

djan wrote: »

Informed employer and they have advised that I will have to take a day out of annual leave to cover this. I feel that this is unjustified as this is out of my hands and I did not enter the job as a WFH employee.

Contact the Facilities Manager of your home and explain you need a generator for the outage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The notice most likely gives details of the hours when the electricity may be off. In most cases its only off for an hour or two.

Not the employer's fault and they are simply following government guidelines.

and why not take it as a day's leave and enjoy yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭SteM

I would be telling my employer that I'd be happy to travel into the office for the day. If they can't provide you a place to work then that's on them.

You don't have an SLA in place with your electricity supplier for 24/7 uptime to your home.

silver2020 wrote: »
    The notice most likely gives details of the hours when the electricity may be off. In most cases its only off for an hour or two.

But at the same time it's not the employees fault either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

djan wrote: »
    Happy to go into the office and asked but it remains closed.

I would say that puts the onus back on your employer your current 'workplace' is non operational and they can not yet provide an alternative facility. They should then consider making alternative arrangements for you - some other location.

I really don't think you should have to take a day leave when you are available for work, but your employer has no suitable facility for you to work from.

If you were in the office and there was a power cut, they would not deduct the time from you or force you to take it as holidays.

Thanks for the responses. The interruption to services is from 9.30am to 4.30pm so covers the whole shift. Happy to work whenever it is on but due to nature of work dealing with clients its not really feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

silver2020 wrote: »

The employer is still responsible for providing a safe and effective working environment... even if it is in your own home. That is an aspect of the working from home drive that has yet to be fully appreciated. I can see working contracts having to be extensively re-drafted if WFH becomes more prominent for more people in different circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Current guidelines are WFH if possible, I think, so I'd push back on the employer to make the office available as WFH is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

State that you are happy to go to the office or some other hub within reasonable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Is there any of those co working hubs near you? You rent a desk for the day as needed like in the south east mainly for Dublin commuters https://newworkjunction.com/

This situation is farcical, the response from any decent employer should be -

Hi djan,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you scan in a copy of the letter and forward it to HR for their records please? Also, please contact your line manager to ensure that cover is in place for you on that day.

Regards,
    etc.

What is it about certain companies in this country, don't they realise that if you treat your staff with a bit of respect they would have a more productive workforce?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Maybe check also with esb as those letters are generac. Usually they say a full day but in most cases only 2 or 3 hours...then you could take an extended lunch break

Not looking for a free day off here, unfortunately due to the nature of work the continuous risk of power going in the middle of dealing with a client is not an option. Could do something not in real-time such as emails etc. from laptop that can charge whenever possible but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Now they are getting back with 4 hours off and rest of day annual leave. Hopefully get this sorted amicably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Rent a generator with a decent sine wave output and bill the company.

Long extension lead to your office.

Wonder what the response would be if the power died because some JCB got too deep or a tipper truck got too high

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

If there is an ESB fault and you have an unplanned outage would you have to take annual leave?
    If there was no WFH and your office was without power and everyone was sent home, would you have to take leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

SteM wrote: »
    This situation is farcical, the response from any decent employer should be -

Hi djan,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you scan in a copy of the letter and forward it to HR for their records please? Also, please contact your line manager to ensure that cover is in place for you on that day.

Regards,
    etc.

What is it about certain companies in this country, don't they realise that if you treat your staff with a bit of respect they would have a more productive workforce?

It happened to me in lockdown 1, got a letter saying electricity would be out for a few hours. I told my boss I'd be unavailable for the time but would work off-line while I had battery power and use my lunch hour during the outage and then make up any lost time later in the week.

She said fine, no other questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have they made a change to your employment contract, to say that providing secure space with room for two monitors and guaranteed electricity supply is one of your conditions of employment?

I'd be looking for quite a pay boost to provide that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

how about a little flexibility here ... either take an days AL or find somewhere you can set up for the day. A family member's or mate's house.

Its not normal times and unless you expect your boss to come out and generate electricity for you ... look at another option.

whippet wrote: »
    how about a little flexibility here ... either take an days AL or find somewhere you can set up for the day. A family member's or mate's house.

Its not normal times and unless you expect your boss to come out and generate electricity for you ... look at another option.

The OP is being flexible. they are willing to travel into the office. Their place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many mates would have a secure space to lend you, that's big enough for dual monitors. Not to mention the hassle of moving the monitors there and back.

This is not just a case of working anywhere with Internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

SteM wrote: »
    The OP is being flexible. they are willing to travel into the office. Their place of work.

It’s not being flexible if the company are adhering to government advise

As I said - take an days leave

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

And in the same way the company are not being flexible and the OP is adhering to government advice.

Also OP, I’ve had this twice in the last year, to replace electricity poles in the street. It was off from 9am until gone 18:00 both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The company isn't adhering to government advice though.
    .they aren't providing him with an adequate place to work.

It's not his responsibility to rectify that .tbf.

It is being flexible. It's not being as flexible as you want the OP to be but that's more your issue than the OPs.

The OP said
    Have been moved to WFH from initially working at the office since the start of the pandemic.

so at the start of the pandemic they were in the office and the employer wasn't too worried about government advice then. Amazing how they're concerned about government advice when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The reality is that the employer can dictate when the employee can take time off.

• Advertisement

Don't see how much more flexible one can be:

Offered change of shift, come into office and switch to offline work as much as possible.

The generator ideas and finding someone who will have a spare unused office and do the whole set up isn't realistic.

Seems like they are willing to do part time off and do half of a later shift which would coincide with the resumption of electricity service.

Interesting to see how stance changes with a bit of pushback. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Advertisement