Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half inch threaded pipe

Options
  • 23-05-2021 10:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

have some bar clamps i need to get half inch treaded pipe for, can anyone recommend anywhere i can pick some up?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cheers, have a delivery coming from them in the next couple of days already, pity i never thought of checking when i was ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Presume it needs to be half inch (12.5mm) and not 12mm which is easy enough got ?

good question, let me check the clamps. they're listed as half inch, come in either 1/2 or 3/4"

actually, having looked further, it looks like the clamps only need one end threaded. Will see if my local hardware has half inch water pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So you did mean American style Pipe Cramps?

Like this sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Domeilleur-4inch-Gluing-Woodworking-Carpenter/dp/B07H2YMYNY/

Wake me up when it's all over.

no cramps involved :)

not sure i'd call them american style, see lots of them on this side of the atlantic too, but i bought the 1/2" clamps from sauter in germany , these ones here

https://www.sautershop.com/bessey-clamps/pipe-screw-clamps/

i knew they needed threaded on one end, but the other end is non threaded and is grip fit

Cheapest way is to buy the 1/2inch galvanised pipe and a pipe threading tool. If you are careful with it and have a good vice to hold the tube then this will do the job https://www.amazon.co.uk/318504-Manual-Threading-Plumbing-Threader/dp/B00JRD0FSI Lidl used to sell the same one.

cheers. had been hoping to find a path without buying tools i'd use once but never again. might be the only option though

mossym wrote: »
    cheers. had been hoping to find a path without buying tools i'd use once but never again. might be the only option though

If you can find a plumber you ask them to give you a call when they have their pipe cutting gear out. Its not used so often now and a pipe vice is a big heavy thing to get out.

If you do get those cheap threaders go very slowly no more than one turn at a time then back off a turn oil then take another bite. They do snap if you go hard at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Assuming we're defo talking about 1/2" BSP gun-barrel here, the way I'd do it is : -

Source the 1/2" GB pipe. (BSS Dublin would have it)

Get a 1/2" barrel nipple (small bit of 1/2 pipe threaded on both ends with a plain bit in the middle)

Cut off one end of the thread - weld what's left of the barrel nip onto the pipe.

You could also try a scrapyard and ask for 1/2" gun-barrel. They might even have a piece that has been threaded on one end (that would have come out of a 50/60's house refit)

Advertisement