Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New external socket for plug in hybrid car.

Options
  • 20-05-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question.
    We have an old house with some old wiring still in place.
    I thinking of buying a plug in hybrid car - it takes 9 kwh to fill battery.
    I heard some say that older wiring wont be a runner for installing ev charve point. These ev wallboxes generally provide for much higher charge rates.
    Now the car im looking at can be charged via household plug also. I believe it takes circa 3 to 4 hours on the standard socket.
    My thinking is that i get an electrician to install a new circuit from consumer unit direct to new outside/shed socket to ensure it would be up to the job.
    Would this get around any worries re the existing wiring within the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

mickdw wrote: »
    Quick question.
    We have an old house with some old wiring still in place.
    I thinking of buying a plug in hybrid car - it takes 9 kwh to fill battery.
    I heard some say that older wiring wont be a runner for installing ev charve point. These ev wallboxes generally provide for much higher charge rates.
    Now the car im looking at can be charged via household plug also. I believe it takes circa 3 to 4 hours on the standard socket.
    My thinking is that i get an electrician to install a new circuit from consumer unit direct to new outside/shed socket to ensure it would be up to the job.
    Would this get around any worries re the existing wiring within the house.

Afraid not , the whole installation would need to be some safe / up to regs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JL spark wrote: »
    Afraid not , the whole installation would need to be some safe / up to regs

Ok - this is worrying.
    So you are saying, a new standard socket taken from the consumer unit on its own circuit is not a runner without upgrade of the house or is it simply a matter of checking the current install.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

Ok - this is worrying.
    So you are saying, a new standard socket taken from the consumer unit on its own circuit is not a runner without upgrade of the house or is it simply a matter of checking the current install.

If a new circuit is installed then the installation has to be capable of taking that circuit. I.e adequate sized main cables,distribution board and earthing. A rec shouldn’t proceed if it’s not capable of taking the circuit safely. A notice of potential hazard may also be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

What car is it?

What rate does the granny charger charge at?

We are in an old house too, had to upgrade the meter tails and the earth cable in the house. Get a sparks out for a look first, the new socket on its own circuit is a good idea anyway as you'll need to do that down the line when you get an actual charger

Alkers wrote: »
    What car is it?

What rate does the granny charger charge at?

We are in an old house too, had to upgrade the meter tails and the earth cable in the house. Get a sparks out for a look first, the new socket on its own circuit is a good idea anyway as you'll need to do that down the line when you get an actual charger

Bmw 530e - 9kwh battery and on the granny cable, 3 to 4 hours so 3 kw draw max id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prev.

Earthing conductor
    Main equipotential bonding
    Main protective conductor
    Main overcurrent protective device
    Main isolation
    Tails and Metering

Realistically all of the above should be in order when working on an installation

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Bmw 530e - 9kwh battery and on the granny cable, 3 to 4 hours so 3 kw draw max id imagine.

I don’t get it , spend a small fortune on a car , then won’t rewire /upgrade house electrics for charger ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chavez.

I don’t get it , spend a small fortune on a car , then won’t rewire /upgrade house electrics for charger ,

That's the way people think

I seen it in my earlier days as a Rec

People will literally live in an unsafe installation to save money

Thats why im asking the questions now - i have not bought the car yet.
    The house is generally fine - we have had electricians in to do bits and pieces and no issue but im just enquiring as obviously a full ev charge point would be a serious draw.
    Car budget is 35k or so. It doesnt have to be a plug in at all - if for example the plug in car meant another 15k spend on house electrics, it wont be happening.
    Some extension works proposed in next few years also so i dont see the point in rewiring right now.

Advertisement