Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone wants to do a painting of my photo

Options
  • 24-04-2021 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

What do you do when someone contacts you to do a painting of your photo, will make money from the painting but only grant you the credit for the photo?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

You could ask for a royalty of 25%. They'd probably tell you where to go like but nothing's stopping you asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

What do you do when someone contacts you to do a painting of your photo, will make money from the painting but only grant you the credit for the photo?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

As a commercial photographer I would advise that you will need to say no unless they pay you (fair and reasonable) royalties from each sale of said painting.
    If they like your photo enough to turn it into a painting and know they will make money from it, so should you. You created the original image.

That or they buy the copyright for the image off you. Which they probably won't as it will be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

They need to offer you something - it was your eye that spotted the photo opportunity!

They have a right to benefit from their work - painting - and you have a right to benefit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

Lesalare wrote: »
    As a commercial photographer I would advise that you will need to say no unless they pay you (fair and reasonable) royalties from each sale of said painting.
    If they like your photo enough to turn it into a painting and know they will make money from it, so should you. You created the original image.

That or they buy the copyright for the image off you. Which they probably won't as it will be too much.

Thank you, what do you recommend I charge for the copyright or how would the royalty sales work? Thanks, it's just I've no business sense when it comes to this. I was thinking the same I was like, "When you can't make money from photography and someone else comes along, does a painting and makes money from your photography. . . what rubbish that is haha". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Thank you, what do you recommend I charge for the copyright or how would the royalty sales work? Thanks, it's just I've no business sense when it comes to this. I was thinking the same I was like, "When you can't make money from photography and someone else comes along, does a painting and makes money from your photography. . . what rubbish that is haha". :pac:

If you want to DM me I can chat to you about it. I'd need to know subject matter etc of the pic etc. Happy to help. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

This 'to me' is an unusual one!

What is the subject of the photograph if that is ok to ask?

Is it a portrait or landscape?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

This 'to me' is an unusual one!

What is the subject of the photograph if that is ok to ask?

Is it a portrait or landscape?

Seascape from beach looking at the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I'm intrigued!

Couldn't they just go the the same place and paint the scene?

If they're that good as an artist couldn't they or shouldn't they use

their own artistic style or gift to capture the scene in 'their' own way?

They would hardly be in breach of copyright in that case or would they?

I'ld love to see the image at some time if you don't mind!

Advertisement