Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freecycling and Online Selling Horror Stories

Options
  • 06-03-2021 10:24am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We have a wardrobe we need rid of so advertised it on a freecycle site. A guy says he will take it so we manhandle it out the front of the house so he can collect it. The twat turns up in a normal car expecting to fit a wardrobe in it. When it doesn't fit he just shrugs and drives off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We have a wardrobe we need rid of so advertised it on a freecycle site. A guy says he will take it so we manhandle it out the front of the house so he can collect it. The twat turns up in a normal car expecting to fit a wardrobe in it. When it doesn't fit he just shrugs and drives off.

Had the same recently, advertised a queen size bed, came to collect in a hatchback, went off to "get a van". Still waiting!
    Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Sorry Pawwed but this made me laugh :) The fact he just shrugged and drove off!

My sister lives in Germany and recently had a sofa delivered. The guy rings her buzzer to say he's there and when she comes down he's gone and there's a huge sofa in the courtyard. She lives on the top floor of an old building with no lift. She calls him and he says i delivered it didn't it...i never said id carry it inside.
    The sofa now lives in the courtyard. Be nice in the summertime:)
    TA lazy incompetent people who half ass a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Had the same recently, advertised a queen size bed, came to collect in a hatchback, went off to "get a van". Still waiting!
    Ridiculous

One of my favourite things about IKEA is watching all the people in the car park realise they're never going to get an entire flat pack kitchen into their Volkswagen Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Porklife wrote: »
    Sorry Pawwed but this made me laugh :) The fact he just shrugged and drove off!

My sister lives in Germany and recently had a sofa delivered. The guy rings her buzzer to say he's there and when she comes down he's gone and there's a huge sofa in the courtyard. She lives on the top floor of an old building with no lift. She calls him and he says i delivered it didn't it...i never said id carry it inside.
    The sofa now lives in the courtyard. Be nice in the summertime:)
    TA lazy incompetent people who half ass a job.

I sent some queries to my guru, his responses were;
    1. Did you read the instructions? (duh, of freaking course)
    2. You've been using it well enough up to now(yes but I need to do something else with it now)
    3. Did you ask your supervisor? (see the response to 1, but also, supervisor speaks gibberish)

They are on three times my money for this crap!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Ridiculous

Had the opposite happen last year.

Bookshelf advertised as being a certain size. We've a big 7 seater, and have fitted sofas and big bookcases into it in the past, so we checked, and it would just fit into the back with the seats folded down. Wife double checks the measurements with the seller. All good, so she travels across the country to pick it up.

When she gets there, it turns out it's actually a good foot wider than the guy said it was, and it wouldn't fit in the car. To make matters worse she (rather foolishly) had already paid him before going to pick it up (she claimed it was a great price, and wanted to make sure she he didn't sell it to someone else before she had the chance to get to Dublin). The guy wouldn't refund her - claimed that she'd agreed to the purchase (even though it was on the basis of being a size that it ended up not being).

In the end, she had to leave it with the guy. She was going to arrange a courier to pick it up, but ended up selling it on herself to someone else (even though she didn't have it in her possession). I though this was going to be a disaster, but it actually worked out fine, and she ended up selling it for more than she bought it for (and with the correct dimensions) to someone with a van who could pick it up no problem.

Couple of lessons learned that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Reminds me of the time I put a couch up on Adverts.ie.
    Couch was never really used but as I would have needed a van to shift it I put it up for free but stated taker must have their own way of transporting it.

First person to respond to ad says they'll definitely take it.
    Then asks will I drop it off at their house 45 miles away. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I'm laughing at these posts about people selling stuff online. Could easily be a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

blade1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time I put a couch up on Adverts.ie.
    Couch was never really used but as I would have needed a van to shift it I put it up for free but stated taker must have their own way of transporting it.

First person to respond to ad says they'll definitely take it.
    Then asks will I drop it off at their house 45 miles away. :rolleyes:

Same. Put a lovely corner sofa up for free before, just had to be collected. The amount of chancers who asked would we deliver it, would we meet them halfway, etc. One guy even asked would we pay for the diesel he'd use coming to collect it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

After discussion with the AH Mod team, I'm splitting these posts off from the TA thread as we think it could be a fun thread in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

After discussion with the AH Mod team, I'm splitting these posts off from the TA thread as we think it could be a fun thread in its own right.

where’s it gone so!!!??
    Link??? (please!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You just posted in it :D

Had a premium brand pram/buggy up on Done Deal a few years ago. Prefect condition, all the bits and bobs, and priced to sell. A woman from the county beside us phoned my wife asking about it, my wife agreed to knock a few quid off it, and the woman said she’d come out the next day.

Next day she arrives, very heavily pregnant, with her husband and a toddler in tow. My wife shows her the buggy in the house while my kids played with the toddler in the front garden, and I chatted with the husband outside. 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour pass. I head in to check what’s going on. Pregnant woman is examining every single centimetre of the buggy in fine detail. She calls in the husband, who she asked to turn it over. She spins all the wheels and listens closely to them. They’re all fine, but one wheel makes a slightly different pitch sound to the others. Not a squeak or a grinding sound or anything - just a bare different tone.

So this was it. The buggy clearly was not in the state it was described, and she clearly deserved a hefty discount for the trouble of having to drive a whole county away and discovering this hidden defect herself. My wife just burst out laughing. I looked at the husband, and he stared back at me with a look that said “Help me! I’m trapped! She’s insane!”.

After the laughter subsided, my wife said “Right, you’ve taken up enough of my time. Price we agreed or get out.” The woman literally threw the money at my wife, barked at her husband to gather up the buggy, and stormed out of our house raging. Husband sheepishly followed with the buggy and the toddler, apologising quietly.

After they went, we discovered that in the drama of it all, they had forgotten to take a bag of attachments they’d need to fit a car seat on it. Wife tried to phone her to tell her, and offer to post it to her free of charge, but she wouldn’t answer the phone.

Edit: Actually, an odd follow up to this story that I just remembered. A few weeks later my wife did get on to the woman, and got her address. Whatever happened then, there was a delay of a couple of months in sending the bits. The woman never got back in to us about it. Anyway, one day my wife posts it off, in a padded bag she’d got a Brown Thomas makeup delivery in. She had peeled off the old address label, and stuck a new one on with the woman’s address.

A few weeks later, she gets an unexpected delivery from BT. Opens it up, and it’s the buggy bits with a letter on BT headed paper. Turns out, during the delay in posting, the woman had moved house. New residents got the package, but didn’t have a forwarding address. My wife had no return address on the package. So they sent it to Brown Thomas, with a note. BT get it and don’t know what to do with it. But when my wife peeled off the original label, she left behind a barcode that represented her BT account. BT scanned it, got her address and sent it back to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Necro wrote: »
    You just posted in it :D

:”)

Hilarious! Thanks!!!

Was helping a friend who has more than a bit of a clutter and recycling problem. Took a lode of freeware junk off her (never used in years) that others had (allegedly) dumped on her. Advertised for it foc to take away. Guess who turned up to collect it!!!!

We had an old baby toy - a star shaped projector that shone a rotating scene of cartoon bears, and played a lullaby. It broke - it didn’t rotate any more. I popped it in the local WEEE recycling in the Council depot.

A few months later, my wife returns all excited from dropping some stuff of at a charity shop, with a star shaped projector. “This is just like the one that broke on us! It was only €2!”

I pointed out that it had the exact same stickers on it that one of our kids had decorated ours with. Turned it on, and sure enough, it doesn’t rotate.

€2 to buy our own broken recycling back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Dial Hard wrote: »
    One of my favourite things about IKEA is watching all the people in the car park realise they're never going to get an entire flat pack kitchen into their Volkswagen Golf.

I did

We had an old baby toy - a star shaped projector that shone a rotating scene of cartoon bears, and played a lullaby. It broke - it didn’t rotate any more. I popped it in the local WEEE recycling in the Council depot.

A few months later, my wife returns all excited from dropping some stuff of at a charity shop, with a star shaped projector. “This is just like the one that broke on us! It was only €2!”

I pointed out that it had the exact same stickers on it that one of our kids had decorated ours with. Turned it on, and sure enough, it doesn’t rotate.

€2 to buy our own broken recycling back.

:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Edit: Actually, an odd follow up to this story that I just remembered. A few weeks later my wife did get on to the woman, and got her address. Whatever happened then, there was a delay of a couple of months in sending the bits. The woman never got back in to us about it. Anyway, one day my wife posts it off, in a padded bag she’d got a Brown Thomas makeup delivery in. She had peeled off the old address label, and stuck a new one on with the woman’s address.

A few weeks later, she gets an unexpected delivery from BT. Opens it up, and it’s the buggy bits with a letter on BT headed paper. Turns out, during the delay in posting, the woman had moved house. New residents got the package, but didn’t have a forwarding address. My wife had no return address on the package. So they sent it to Brown Thomas, with a note. BT get it and don’t know what to do with it. But when my wife peeled off the original label, she left behind a barcode that represented her BT account. BT scanned it, got her address and sent it back to her.

That is mind blowing! You couldn't make it up, but if you did, fair play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I grew up in a house and you'd tie stuff to the roof or leave the boot open and item hanging out and tie it onto the car some how and sometimes with I'd be crouched in the back holding it down.

New Home wrote: »
    That is mind blowing! You couldn't make it up, but if you did, fair play. :)

Ah jaysus, I’ve better things to be doing on a Saturday afternoon than making up complicated postal anecdotes for random strangers! Not much better, mind, given that I did take the time to post a few times on the thread, but it’s not that much effort to recall an actual occurrence from memory.

Another time, my wife decided to plant an oak tree in a pot. My Dad had done it years before. So I said I knew where there was a big oak tree in a neighbouring village, and I’d look for some acorns on my way home from work. “No need”, my wife says, and shows me a listing on our local “free to a good home” website (this was before they were popular on FB) for a guy very specifically giving away eight acorns.

She phones him and within an hour, he’s knocking at the door with an envelope with eight acorns in it - like some kind of nut dealer doing a “the first hit is free” deal.

We planted a few of the acorns, one of them took, and we still have a miniature oak tree in a pot in the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah jaysus, I’ve better things to be doing on a Saturday afternoon than making up complicated postal anecdotes for random strangers! Not much better, mind, given that I did take the time to post a few times on the thread, but it’s not that much effort to recall an actual occurrence from memory.

I wasn't doubting you, I did find it genuinely amusing and it reminded me of John Cusak in Serendipity trying to get the contact details of the girl from the store card application forms kept in boxes in a storage unit somewhere. :) That's why I said "fair play if you did make it up". It's the proof that fact is stranger than fiction, and that some people (i.e. that woman) are the pits.
    Another time, my wife decided to plant an oak tree in a pot. My Dad had done it years before. So I said I knew where there was a big oak tree in a neighbouring village, and I’d look for some acorns on my way home from work. “No need”, my wife says, and shows me a listing on our local “free to a good home” website (this was before they were popular on FB) for a guy very specifically giving away eight acorns.

She phones him and within an hour, he’s knocking at the door with an envelope with eight acorns in it - like some kind of nut dealer doing a “the first hit is free” deal.

We planted a few of the acorns, one of them took, and we still have a miniature oak tree in a pot in the back garden.

Another good one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was giving away 2 x 2 seater sofas before on Adverts, I wanted both of them gone together and stated that in the ad and that a van would be needed to fit them both. Up turns a couple in an old battered red van and they said they only wanted one of them. Wasnt having it at all and the wife is complaining that they came from 20 miles away. Had to run the pair of messers in the end.

Thats the last time Ive ever put anything up for free. Even now if I had a sofa or similar to get rid of Id be putting it up for a tenner rather than for free. Once things are free you're a lot more likely to meet some idiot who will mess you about, these people only scan the free ads so by putting a nominal amount you get to avoid them.

I bought a buggy online after looking specifically for one to use running. The brand I bought was called Baby Jogger and I got the top of the range one that would take a fairly young baby to a robust toddler. I waited weeks for the delivery and when it came and the driver was unloading it off the van, I noticed the side of the box had "NOT SUITABLE FOR USE WHILE JOGGING" printed on it.

So the Baby Jogger stroller that isn't suitable for use while jogging was loaded back on the van. I'm just glad I noticed the epic misnomer in time.

This story is about something bought in a shop but I feel it's worth sharing.

Long long ago when my brother was around 7 or 8 my mother would taking him with her shopping.
    It was leading up to Christmas and every day they would walk past the toy shop.
    In the window there was a box with a picture of a train on it and each day my brother would point at it and beg my mother could he please get that for Christmas.

So Christmas day arrives and my brother runs to the Christmas tree and rips the paper off the parcel with his name on it.
    A train! he yells as the box from the shop window is revealed.
    Pulls the top off the box and next his jaw nearly hits the ground.
    No train.
    All it was was a junction box thingy for switching the tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was selling a bike on adverts. Had a few people interested.
    The first fella said he wanted to call and look at it - grand.

He turns up with his entire family.
    They all had a go on the bike.
    He then rings his father-in-law to ask him his opinion of the bike. He was trying to describe the bike over the phone.
    He starts into a spiel about how he wants the bike but wants a tenner off and then tried to make the other interested buyers seem dodgy. I told him I wasn't interested.
    Off back up the road went the traveling family circus.
    Nice enough people but jaysus.

I sold the bike the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I had some fcuking ape on adverts asking me about a free item

Wouldnt bother coming out to collect it. Suggest I drop it to his house in a nearby town "when Im passing". I ignored him, obviously didn't want it badly enough

About 20 years ago, I had a spare ticket to a sold out gig which I was selling for twice market value (80e). A guy tang me up and asked me if I would take 60, for handiness sake I said sure. Then he said I would have to travel to meet him, the other side of Dublin from me. I refused so he said he would meet in the city centre, but he could only pay me 40 and he has to go out if his way. I decided to play along with this as I was pretty annoyed by now. He then asked if I could make it later that day and would accept 30? (Below face value now). I said "Sure since you're doing me a massive favour how about I meet you in the city centre and give you the ticket for free?" And he actually seemed to believe me, still making a fuss about how much he was being put out by having to travel to meet me.
    Obviously I wasn't having any problems selling the ticket, I sold it for 70 to a young lad who came out to meet me, because I liked him.
    I don't know what happened to the free ticket guy. I didn't answer any of his subsequent calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BalboBiggins

About 20 years ago, I had a spare ticket to a sold out gig which I was selling for twice market value (80e).

In fairness, there are two d1ckheads in that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Dial Hard wrote: »

This used to be one of my favourite things when I used to collect my sister from Ikea, she works there and would be on lates at times.
    So sitting waiting, shop is officially closed, of course people ignore this to the last minute.

Car pulls up beside me, out gets husband, wife, granny and 2 small kids wheel trolleys up to car.

Husband proceeds to remove the 2 car seats, push all the seats down and load up. Very pleased with himself, everything fits and doors all close, til he turns around and realises on he will fit in the car, Wife, kids and granny have to get a taxi :D:D

Loads of them do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

In fairness, there are two d1ckheads in that story.

No there's not. You can sell almost anything for what ever you want and it's up to the buyer to buy it or not.

Advertisement