Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feral cat removal ASAP

• 12-02-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

I have a feral black Tom cat under my shed and I need it gone ASAP. I have a ferret out the back and few years ago I had feral cats and my ferret caught distemper off them and died.
    Can someone give me a number to call I need it gone ASAP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Try <snip> if you can, they may be able to help if you are local enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I have a feral black Tom cat under my shed and I need it gone ASAP. I have a ferret out the back and few years ago I had feral cats and my ferret caught distemper off them and died.
    Can someone give me a number to call I need it gone ASAP

A ton of john west and a bit if brakefluid game over for him

Mod note: This post has resulted in a permanent forum ban for the poster (see below).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

lab man wrote: »

What a horrible thing to even suggest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

lab man wrote: »

Banned from the forum permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

hurikane wrote: »
    What a horrible thing to even suggest.

Please dont reply but report the post instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What part of the country are you in?

Tallaght South Dublin

Fieldog wrote: »
    Try <snip> if you can, they may be able to help if you are local enough...

I'm in tallaght South County Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Maybe get your Ferret vaccinated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I'm in tallaght South County Dublin

Maybe give <snip> a call and if they can't help they'll be able to put you in touch with someone who can. Also are you sure it's a feral, maybe have a look on Facebook to see if anyone from the area is missing a cat

• Advertisement

Maybe give <snip> a call and if they can't help they'll be able to put you in touch with someone who can. Also are you sure it's a feral, maybe have a look on Facebook to see if anyone from the area is missing a cat

100% feral mate. I've dealt with enough of them to know how they react to human encounters.

Knine wrote: »
    Maybe get your Ferret vaccinated?

Not many vets near me do ferrets mate. And I shouldn't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just a reminder to all posters that recommendations of animal rescues must only be made via PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Does someone, some group remove ferals, have loads of them around me, neighbours started feeding them, and they had at least 2 and likely 3 litters of kittens in the last year, my dog has always been quiet and wouldnt bark but they are driving her mad and she will bark when the cats are outside fighting or mating, can be a nighttime, daytime.
    I've found a few dead kittens and my neighbours attitude was they are doing a nice thing, which I disagree they are.
    If they were doing a nice thing, they'd take one in when young or even a few, feed them, get them nuetered and get them injections, instead, it seems like the Toms may be killing some of the kittens to mate with the mothers or they are dying from something else. There were always a few ferals about but the numbers seemed stable, now there are around 20 cats about the place and that number can only increase, I see no reason now to feed them now as it is only encouraging them to breed excessively,
    One way or the other, there are loads of them about, I enquired before covid about capture and release, but I didnt make headway, couldnt get through to places or got no reply from voicemail.

If you decide to keep an animal, it deserves the very best of care. Not vaccinating when there is a vaccine available & then blaming other animals is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Most pet owners have to vaccinate their pets. It's part and parcel of the responsibility that goes with owning one.

1874 wrote: »
    Does someone, some group remove ferals, have loads of them around me, neighbours started feeding them, and they had at least 2 and likely 3 litters of kittens in the last year, my dog has always been quiet and wouldnt bark but they are driving her mad and she will bark when the cats are outside fighting or mating, can be a nighttime, daytime.
    I've found a few dead kittens and my neighbours attitude was they are doing a nice thing, which I disagree they are.
    If they were doing a nice thing, they'd take one in when young or even a few, feed them, get them nuetered and get them injections, instead, it seems like the Toms may be killing some of the kittens to mate with the mothers or they are dying from something else. There were always a few ferals about but the numbers seemed stable, now there are around 20 cats about the place and that number can only increase, I see no reason now to feed them now as it is only encouraging them to breed excessively,
    One way or the other, there are loads of them about, I enquired before covid about capture and release, but I didnt make headway, couldnt get through to places or got no reply from voicemail.

Yes there are places that do TNR and can rehome too. Where are you based? I can pm you details of charities that I know carry out this work because I support them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yeah, we shouldn't have to, but diseases exist. Myxomatosis in rabbits? We vaccinate against it. Parvovirus in dogs? We vaccinate against it. Polio in children? We vaccinate against it.

It's our responsibility.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Yeah, we shouldn't have to, but diseases exist. Myxomatosis in rabbits? We vaccinate against it. Parvovirus in dogs? We vaccinate against it. Polio in children? We vaccinate against it.

It's our responsibility.

Mixamatosis in rabbit doesn't effect the animal or person eating it

Antares35 wrote: »
    Most pet owners have to vaccinate their pets. It's part and parcel of the responsibility that goes with owning one.

Those of us who hunt with our ferrets don't vaccinate them as those that are vaccinated have been proven to lose their hunting ability

• Advertisement

Those of us who hunt with our ferrets don't vaccinate them as those that are vaccinated have been proven to lose their hunting ability

Lol. I've heard it all now.

Does vaccinating terriers have the same effect?

Oh god, thankfully hearing rubbish statements doesn't displace actual useful information from our heads :D

Mine didn't get that memo :D

Have you ever hunted with ferrets I know from experience

Oh god, thankfully hearing rubbish statements doesn't displace actual useful information from our heads :D

Well I know from experience
    Either help me with the feral cat problem or take a hike

Can a mod lock up this thread please
    Getting a trap so I'll deal with the cat myself!!
    Thank you to the actual advice folks and not the idiotic responses over vaccines of those gullible enough to think they work
    Thanks mods lock it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I don't particularly like the sound of your "I'll deal with it myself"- advise has been given to you regarding contacting Animal Rescues and Charities- would you not at least attempt that before you trap the poor bewildered animal and dump it miles away from its home? And that's using a best case scenario given the few posts from yourself on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

Can a mod lock up this thread please
    Getting a trap so I'll deal with the cat myself!!
    Thank you to the actual advice folks and not the idiotic responses over vaccines of those gullible enough to think they work
    Thanks mods lock it up

It's a discussion forum, you don't get to pick the advice you receive.

The right vaccines do work, unfortunately there's no ferret specific CDV vaccine available in Ireland, only multi valent canine vaccines which aren't designed for use in ferrets which is why they're less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I don't particularly like the sound of your "I'll deal with it myself"- advise has been given to you regarding contacting Animal Rescues and Charities- would you not at least attempt that before you trap the poor bewildered animal and dump it miles away from its home? And that's using a best case scenario given the few posts from yourself on this thread.

Especially since I’d be dubious of the claims that this cat is feral in Tallaght. It might very well be someone’s pet

• Advertisement

not the idiotic responses over vaccines of those gullible enough to think they work.

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

omicron wrote: »
    The right vaccines do work, unfortunately there's no ferret specific CDV vaccine available in Ireland, only multi valent canine vaccines which aren't designed for use in ferrets which is why they're less effective.

Probably a waste of time discussing science with the OP:
    I have a ferret out the back and few years ago I had feral cats and my ferret caught distemper off them and died.

Ferret distemper cannot be caught from cats. End of problem.

Maybe the OP should be looking for foxes under his shed instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Probably a waste of time discussing science with the OP:

Ferret distemper cannot be caught from cats. End of problem.

Maybe the OP should be looking for foxes under his shed instead?

The OP regularly posts his hatred of cats on the hunting and fishing forum. If I remember correctly he was calling for a cull of feral cats a few months back, actually inciting people to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Yes there are places that do TNR and can rehome too. Where are you based? I can pm you details of charities that I know carry out this work because I support them myself.

I live in West Dublin, by all means PM, I'd be ok to feed them myself if they were neutered. I have in the past when there were kittens for the mother to feed, but as it is only increasing their ability to breed I stopped, 3 litters this year alone, from two females, who seemed to share minding them. I dont think feeding them now, which seems nice is actually as humane as it sounds.

Aside from that the cat population is increasing rapidly, some of them dont look healthy, the Toms in particular, some of them look a right state, I'd be happy for them to be TNR, they wont reproduce, wont be a disturbance and will likely keep other cats away. I'm not inclined to think there is any advantage to feral cats generally, I dont believe they keep rats down or kill them, they may keep mice down, but I think there are other means to limit those, ie being careful with food waste, putting food out for ferals does not help with rats as Ive found piles of rat droppings under the food locations and a large increase in those in my drains.
    The biggest problem I noticed is that a few years back, likely when one person started feeding ferals (excessively imo), it encouraged lots of cats/breeding, now we have no small birds, used to get lots and a variety of small birds, now none at all, I'm convinced the cats have decimated them and the food put out for them has actually encouraged rats too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well I know from experience
    Either help me with the feral cat problem or take a hike

Dodderangler,
    You don't get to dictate who can post, and who can't. If you have a problem with a post, report it. You know that.
    I can't help but feel, given that you're around a long time, and given your own posts documenting your dislike of cats, that you posted here in the full knowledge you'd stir up a row.
    It seems to me that every time you post here, it's to stir up trouble, whether that's to post emotively about animals in the Pets forum, or to throw your weight around and try to dictate how threads should go... I think you know exactly what you're doing when you come here to post.
    So, I see little option but to issue you with a final warning. If we see any further posts or threads from you here that seem to be an attempt to stir up trouble, it'll result in a permanent ban from the forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Edit: thread staying open so that poster 1874 can continue to receive advice

DBB wrote: »
    Dodderangler,
    You don't get to dictate who can post, and who can't. If you have a problem with a post, report it. You know that.
    I can't help but feel, given that you're around a long time, and given your own posts documenting your dislike of cats, that you posted here in the full knowledge you'd stir up a row.
    It seems to me that every time you post here, it's to stir up trouble, whether that's to post emotively about animals in the Pets forum, or to throw your weight around and try to dictate how threads should go... I think you know exactly what you're doing when you come here to post.
    So, I see little option but to issue you with a final warning. If we see any further posts or threads from you here that seem to be an attempt to stir up trouble, it'll result in a permanent ban from the forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Edit: thread staying open so that poster 1874 can continue to receive advice

Stir up trouble? I asked a simple question. Does anyone know a place that removes feral cats. Simple question.
    As I said. I'll deal with the cat myself
    Thanks

• Advertisement

The OP regularly posts his hatred of cats on the hunting and fishing forum. If I remember correctly he was calling for a cull of feral cats a few months back, actually inciting people to do it.

Yeah I hate cats but I'm asking for someone to point me towards a place that'll remove it! It's feral theyre aggressive and I have young children that don't know the difference between a feral or a house cat!
    And no I don't regularly post my hatred of cats so don't be talking ****e behind the screen of your phone

L'prof wrote: »
    Especially since I’d be dubious of the claims that this cat is feral in Tallaght. It might very well be someone’s pet

It's feral. I've dealt with enough of them over the years in my back garden!

Stir up trouble? I asked a simple question. Does anyone know a place that removes feral cats. Simple question.
    As I said. I'll deal with the cat myself
    Thanks

Hang on now Dodderangler.
    You wanted rid of a cat ASAP.
    You posted this on the Pets forum, in the full knowledge that you'd get people's backs up... you've discussed the same topic (re cats) enough in other forums that allow that sort of discussion... you know the crack.
    You got some good advice.
    You then said you'd "take care of the cat yourself" when things didn't go your way, and you never bothered to explain what you meant by this, despite concerns being raised by what you meant. It's a loaded term, and you know it.
    You have repeated the same line above in your reply to me.
    You have tried to stop others from posting in the thread when they said something you didn't like.
    And critically, Dodderangler, you were the one and only poster to thank the post where you were advised to poison the cat.

Do not try to play the innocent now. You knew exactly what you were doing, and hiding behind the "asked a simple question" line does not cut it, given your history and longevity on Boards.

Now. To add to the list of things you've handled badly, and another rule you've also knowingly broken, is that you're arguing with a mod on thread, and pulling your own thread off topic.
    I find myself in the strange position that I must now stop you from posting in your own thread. I hope this illustrates the position we find ourselves in with you Dodderangler, when you post here.

To make it clear. Do not post in this thread again.

Thread remains open so that the poster who seems to want to genuinely help feral cats in an ethical way, can continue to get support.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Whilst I was typing my reply, I see that you've added more to the thread. Given the rude, disrespectful style of your posting, despite what I have already said to you, you are now banned from this forum Dodderangler.
    I don'tthink it'sa good match for you.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Edited to add sorry, I replied before I realised they were banned

• Advertisement
Advertisement