Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Brexit online lens purchase - my first experience...

Options
  • 10-02-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Thought you'd all like to hear a bit of a good news story....

I've wanted to purchase a Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for a while. I've bought lenses from the UK on eBay before, and always had a good experience.

As expected, import charges meant that buying from the UK this time would add considerably to the cost of any lens I would buy.

I did a European Union search in the Item Location section, which excluded UK lenses. I ended up buying one that was located in Berlin. It looked great and was priced at €180 plus €17.99 for postage.

It arrived yesterday, 6 days later. The lens is as new, in the original box with all the relevant documentation. And the UV lens filter is a genuine Tamron one.

I'm delighted with how it all worked out......... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thought you'd all like to hear a bit of a good news story....

I've wanted to purchase a Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for a while. I've bought lenses from the UK on eBay before, and always had a good experience.

As expected, import charges meant that buying from the UK this time would add considerably to the cost of any lens I would buy.

I did a European Union search in the Item Location section, which excluded UK lenses. I ended up buying one that was located in Berlin. It looked great and was priced at €180 plus €17.99 for postage.

It arrived yesterday, 6 days later. The lens is as new, in the original box with all the relevant documentation. And the UV lens filter is a genuine Tamron one.

I'm delighted with how it all worked out......... :)

I've been sussing out a German site that buys and sells 2nd hand camera gear and I'm planning on using them soon to both sell and buy. They have excellent reviews and I see that lens you purchased is cheaper than what OP paid.

Site is called MPB, their site is very efficient they promptly quote gear you wish to sell and organise couriers

https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/search/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I've been sussing out a German site that buys and sells 2nd hand camera gear and I'm planning on using them soon to both sell and buy. They have excellent reviews and I see that lens you purchased is cheaper than what OP paid.

Site is called MPB, their site is very efficient they promptly quote gear you wish to sell and organise couriers

https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/search/

MPB were UK and US based up until a few weeks before Brexit when they set up an EU hub in Berlin. Looks like they are one of the few UK retailers that were proactive with finding a solution to shipping to non-UK customers. Their prices are great alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Chavways wrote: »
    MPB were UK and US based up until a few weeks before Brexit when they set up an EU hub in Berlin. Looks like they are one of the few UK retailers that were proactive with finding a solution to shipping to non-UK customers. Their prices are great alright.

I purchased a mint Canon 6d ii last week on eBay for €550 and MPB are offering me €800 for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Ordered some stuff from MPB on Feb 24th and arrived today. Exactly as described and got a Manfrotto tripod and monopod for 150 delivered. Really happy with the ordering the delivery process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Chavways wrote: »

For some reason I'd never heard of MPB until I read this comment at the weekend.

Yesterday, after a very easy online process and finding a box and some bubblewrap, a DHL courier arrived at my house to pick up 6 A-Mount lenses I've no need for any more. Got an email to say they'd arrived in Berlin this morning. Assuming they're happy with the condition I said they were in, I'll be getting a good price for them, without any of the hassle of selling on Adverts or Done Deal.

So thanks!

• Advertisement

Yeah MPB are really the only diamond in the rough I've found when dealing with used gear whether it be buying or selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

I know this thread was specifically designed for non IE purchases, but to give a bit of recognition where it's due. Twice now I have ordered from Conns cameras in Dublin late on a Friday and both items arrived on the Saturday with DPD. Superb service from them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Never thought of buying on line in Germany, thanks for the heads up. Been only using an iphone lately, but want to get back to using my DSLR, and decided to treat myself to a longer lens. Would anyone take a chance on a damaged lens like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114858753816?hash=item1abe1d7f18:g:kdQAAOSw8HRgzy61

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

blue5000 wrote: »
    Would anyone take a chance on a damaged lens like this?

I don't know. The crack and buckling on the lens hood mount wouldn't bother me too much on its own, but there's a crack on the main barrel right where the front element would be. This lens must have got a nasty knock or drop. I know the price reflects the condition, but when they say the lens is in "fully working order", that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't element alignment issues.

556471.png

blue5000 wrote: »
    Never thought of buying on line in Germany, thanks for the heads up. Been only using an iphone lately, but want to get back to using my DSLR, and decided to treat myself to a longer lens. Would anyone take a chance on a damaged lens like this?

Nope, wouldn't touch it. If that's the damage on the outside, who knows what state the glass elements are in. Things could very easily have shifted internally and affect image quality. It would have taken a decent thump to crack the lens casing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

sold to them but wasn't happy with the prices I got.

Advertisement