Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water leak in brand new car

• 26-01-2021 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I collected my new 211 car this month and noticed a water issue straight away. the boot is collecting water, the underlay under the seats from front to back is wet and the back seats themselves were soaked. it's currently back with the dealer who's had it a few days and hasn't discovered the source. As far as i can ascertain, a good portion of the car is basically going to be stripped down in the search for the leak and the interior of the car is soaked and will have to be stripped out too. They haven't found the source of the leak so i have no estimate on repairs. My brand new car is basically in pieces and I haven't had it 2 weeks.

I just want to know what my options are if anyone could help me out. It's my first new car and I'm very upset. Will it ever be the same after being stripped down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Dirty Nails

I collected my new 211 car this month and noticed a water issue straight away. the boot is collecting water, the underlay under the seats from front to back is wet and the back seats themselves were soaked. it's currently back with the dealer who's had it a few days and hasn't discovered the source. As far as i can ascertain, a good portion of the car is basically going to be stripped down in the search for the leak and the interior of the car is soaked and will have to be stripped out too. They haven't found the source of the leak so i have no estimate on repairs. My brand new car is basically in pieces and I haven't had it 2 weeks.

I just want to know what my options are if anyone could help me out. It's my first new car and I'm very upset. Will it ever be the same after being stripped down?

I wouldn't stress over the car being stripped,it's a straightforward thing.Finding a water leak isn't difficult either,it only takes a lad with a garden hose & another with a torch.Pity it happened but it's not uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Had that happen with a new car as well some years ago, they had to get a fog machine to pinpoint where the leak was, turned out to be a minimal pice of seam sealant missing and water dripped in there. Anyhow, they stripped out the seats, carpets, under carpet sound proofing material, dash etc.
    I insisted on they fitting a brand new underlay as it was soaked with water and would definitely smell later on.
    Everything was perfect after that. Even though I only got 9 months out of that car. But it never leaked again. ( while I had it )
    Just curious, what car is it?

You seem to be plagued with water leaks Leaking KA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]They haven't found the source of the leak so i have no estimate on repairs. My brand new car is basically in pieces and I haven't had it 2 weeks.

There should be no cost to you whatsoever, it's a brand new car under warranty.
    Tell them that you want them to replace at their expense all and any upholstery, carpets etc that got wet with new as the old ones could harbour damp and mould and start to smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Nightmare OP. In an ideal world you would get it back the way it was built, but we do not live in an ideal world.

The sound deadening under the carpet will be saturated and must be replaced, a new carpet is a massive job so odds are they will just try and dry that. Wiring could be soaked and cause problems down the line. Trim may not be replaced properly.

I know people will say three chances to fix and so on, but if as bad as you say I'd be seriously looking at rejecting the car, this is not so different from flood damage. On a used car you would let them at it, but brand new car I'd be escalating to the importer and fighting tooth and nail.

Also try and get photos of it in bits, go to the dealer if they won't send them to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

I would move to reject the car - the new car has obviously been sold to you with a defect. Ask the dealer to replace it. Good advice from Stallingrad above - ask to see the car stripped down and get photographs.

If you allow them an attempt at fixing it - you want EVERYTHING that is wet replaced - not dried out. It must be returned to you as a new car. I don't believe the 3 strikes rule will apply here - this is a major defect. Even if the cause of the leak is minor, little bit of sealer missing on a rear lamp or something like that, the consequential damage is much bigger.

It would worry me that you say the dealer can't find it... water leaks are generally easily identified. If it's not obvious then it could be a seam or structural joint leaking which is a factory fault and also more difficult to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sumo12 wrote: »
    I would move to reject the car - the new car has obviously been sold to you with a defect. Ask the dealer to replace it.

OP does not have the absolute right to demand a replacement at this stage.

By all means be assertive and let them know that you won't accept a solution that doesn't 100% fix the problem but there's no point in asserting a right that you don't have, especially when the motor trade will only replace a new car as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

coylemj wrote: »
    OP does not have the absolute right to demand a replacement at this stage.

By all means be assertive and let them know that you won't accept a solution that doesn't 100% fix the problem but there's no point in asserting a right that you don't have, especially when the motor trade will only replace a new car as a last resort.

Whats the warranty on the car?, water damage could take a long time to affect cabling issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Water leaks happen, its an easy fix stop the hysterics ,leave it to be fixed ,get a courtesy car for a few days ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

sumo12 wrote: »
    It would worry me that you say the dealer can't find it... water leaks are generally easily identified.

Ah stop, water leaks are generally very tedious to find.

I suppose on the one hand OP, I wouldn't be too worried. Any good dealer is more than capable of rectifying a water leak. They can be time consuming to find but are generally simple fixes when they are found. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the car after reassembly, warranty claims still give dealers a parts margin so generally anything that even might have seen a drip of water is replaced, all trim fastners replaced etc.

On the other hand if it's brand, brand new. I would say there is an argument for asking for a replacement, but whether or not that happens would be case by case.

I suppose on the one hand OP, I wouldn't be too worried. Any good dealer is more than capable of rectifying a water leak. They can be time consuming to find but are generally simple fixes when they are found. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the car after reassembly, warranty claims still give dealers a parts margin so generally anything that even might have seen a drip of water is replaced, all trim fastners replaced etc.

On the other hand if it's brand, brand new. I would say there is an argument for asking for a replacement, but whether or not that happens would be case by case.

Think you'll have to go down the legal route for that Dealer first ,then distributor, lot of money to be spending with limited chance of success, good luck getting it serviced afterwards

• Advertisement

good luck getting it serviced afterwards

Absolute nonsense.

Absolute nonsense.

Be a complete Karen over a minor issue that is totally repairable with minimum fuss, nobody will want to see you coming ,why would you service something if you know the customer is guaranteed to complain , people want to avoid that crap so losing a pain in the hole customer is better for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the car should be replaced end of story , people accept lower standards over time and this is how we end up .

Be a complete Karen over a minor issue that is totally repairable with minimum fuss, nobody will want to see you coming ,why would you service something if you know the customer is guaranteed to complain , people want to avoid that crap so losing a pain in the hole customer is better for everyone

I would have to say, there are definitely a few customers that we are booked out for the next 6 weeks for.

Usually though, you'd bend over backwards to facilitate someone who's worked with you when they've had a ****ty issue with a new car they got from you. The alternate of that though is some customers, drama just seems to follow them.

The actual leak fix may be easy, or it may not, they can be nightmare to locate, but the damage done to the car is far from easy to fix. And long term damage to electrics are also a possibility.

There is no correlation between a major warranty issue and routine servicing. If the dealer in question does not want to work on the car subsequently there are plenty more who will.

As I said, nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Whats the warranty on the car?, water damage could take a long time to affect cabling issues?

Warranties on virtually all consumer products says that, in the first instance, manufacturing faults will be repaired at no cost to the buyer.

Consumer legislation says that the retailer has the option to repair, refund or replace. Only when it appears that (potentially multiple) repairs cannot fix the problem can you start insisting on a refund or replacement.

OP picked up the car less than a month ago, the dealer is on solid ground in attempting a repair to fix the problem and at this stage is within his rights if he declines to offer a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I hear such conflicting reports on water leaks that is has me worried. Some people say it's an easy fix, others say the car will never be right. I bought brand new to avoid problems in the first place! I didn't expect to see the inside of a garage until it's first service.

Re photos, I can't even get the mechanic to return my calls so I really doubt they'll send me photos. They've had it since last week so I thought that they'd have at least found the problem by now. I'm just so stressed out over it. there's also another issue with it, possibly minor, possibly electrical. I don't want to go into too much detail.

also, i really really don't believe that I'm being a Karen by not wanting to have a swim while actually in my car. it was bought brand new and I've had not one day of trouble free driving with it. I haven't been screaming at the dealer but I did expect them to keep me up to date, and not to have to chase them for any type of answer. I have no timeframe for when I'll have it back. I bought new for reliability and to have the enjoyment of not having the car in a mechanic's garage every second month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I hear such conflicting reports on water leaks that is has me worried. Some people say it's an easy fix, others say the car will never be right. I bought brand new to avoid problems in the first place! I didn't expect to see the inside of a garage until it's first service.

Re photos, I can't even get the mechanic to return my calls so I really doubt they'll send me photos. They've had it since last week so I thought that they'd have at least found the problem by now. I'm just so stressed out over it. there's also another issue with it, possibly minor, possibly electrical. I don't want to go into too much detail.

also, i really really don't believe that I'm being a Karen by not wanting to have a swim while actually in my car. it was bought brand new and I've had not one day of trouble free driving with it. I haven't been screaming at the dealer but I did expect them to keep me up to date, and not to have to chase them for any type of answer. I have no timeframe for when I'll have it back. I bought new for reliability and to have the enjoyment of not having the car in a mechanic's garage every second month.

Is the car a VW/Audi/Skoda? Does it have a sunroof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what's the brand just out of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Ford. no sunroof. no aftermarket additions.

The actual leak fix may be easy, or it may not, they can be nightmare to locate, but the damage done to the car is far from easy to fix. And long term damage to electrics are also a possibility.

There is no correlation between a major warranty issue and routine servicing. If the dealer in question does not want to work on the car subsequently there are plenty more who will.

As I said, nonsense.

Its not the warranty issue its making a mountain out of it, this stuff happens every day, let them fix it, electrical damage highly unlikely,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Its not the warranty issue its making a mountain out of it, this stuff happens every day, let them fix it, electrical damage highly unlikely,

If I just bought a brand new car that was soaking inside, I would be making a huge deal out of it.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    If I just bought a brand new car that was soaking inside, I would be making a huge deal out of it.

Your username would suggest you have already! :pac:

this stuff happens every day

It really does not. Buying a new car is not an every day event, add a failure of this magnitude and it is a very big deal to the OP, none of this is what they signed up for when buying the car.

Let the dealer try and fix it of course, hopefully it will be like new, but I wouldn't be hopeful given the nature of the strip down required to sort the water damage, never mind the fix.

Wetbench4 wrote: »

It happens, if you bought a house with a drippy tap would you be demanding another house?

What he's saying is, the repair is routine. Dealing with water ingress is bread and butter stuff to most main dealer workshops.

Stripping and reassembling an interior is tedious but not rocket science and very easy to successfully repair a car that has suffered water ingress.

Strip interior, find the leak, fix the leak, order anything that is wet or that might have been wet, order a mountain of trim clips and clip everything back together.

No reason why it can't be a complete success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It happens, if you bought a house with a drippy tap would you be demanding another house?
    Yes, that would be a similar situation wouldn't it?. Suspect someone might be trolling here.

It really does not. Buying a new car is not an every day event, add a failure of this magnitude and it is a very big deal to the OP, none of this is what they signed up for when buying the car.

Let the dealer try and fix it of course, hopefully it will be like new, but I wouldn't be hopeful given the nature of the strip down required to sort the water damage, never mind the fix.

I worked in a main dealers in the 90s, half the warranty claims were water leaks, either bulkhead or boot, not enough sealer on joints or damaged rubber seals, as someone else said Hose or power washer and guy with a torch, probably easier now with slow motion camera on your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

How on earth is that a fair comparison? You're just talking ****e now..

Advertisement