Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR want to offer me a satellite landline phone

Options
  • 21-01-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

further to my earlier battle here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058091284

I got off the phone this evening from EIR and OpenEir are refusing to acknowledge their landline service to my property and are so far refusing to reconnect me back to the copper network. They are offering me a satellite phone service, there is no consistent 3G/4G mobile coverage as I am 13km as the crow flies from the mast with two mountains in between. This precludes their usual offering of a mobile landline offering or Fixed mobile service.

ComReg maintains that they must reconnect me to network as I have a pre-existing connection and no way am I going to settle for 2-way satellite comms, absolute thrash, the ping would be about 800ms and you would need to say "over" on your calls like 2-way radio.

https://www.comreg.ie/media/dlm_uploads/2016/07/ComReg-1665.pdf

Any advice here on to make them reconnect my house to the copper network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Have you considered trying a few tests with a 20 foot high pole (eg telescopic handle, painters pole etc) with a phone at the top and do a few speed tests over WiFi from another phone at ground level?

The 4G signal at some of the houses nearby suggests that there might be some signal available but it needs height to access whatever might be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Have you considered trying a few tests with a 20 foot high pole (eg telescopic handle, painters pole etc) with a phone at the top and do a few speed tests over WiFi from another phone at ground level?

The 4G signal at some of the houses nearby suggests that there might be some signal available but it needs height to access whatever might be there.

I have done something similar last summer, I can 2-3mb on 1 bar of 4G whilst balanced on the chimney, it varies alot and often drops out entirely, it lacks the consistency I need to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

theguzman wrote: »
    further to my earlier battle here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058091284

I got off the phone this evening from EIR and OpenEir are refusing to acknowledge their landline service to my property and are so far refusing to reconnect me back to the copper network. They are offering me a satellite phone service, there is no consistent 3G/4G mobile coverage as I am 13km as the crow flies from the mast with two mountains in between. This precludes their usual offering of a mobile landline offering or Fixed mobile service.

ComReg maintains that they must reconnect me to network as I have a pre-existing connection and no way am I going to settle for 2-way satellite comms, absolute thrash, the ping would be about 800ms and you would need to say "over" on your calls like 2-way radio.

https://www.comreg.ie/media/dlm_uploads/2016/07/ComReg-1665.pdf

You only require 2G for voice calls. If you are getting 4G some of the time without a high-gain antenna, you will most likely get 2G all of the time with a high-gain antenna. (assuming you don't have additional trees blocking in Summer). Put a high-gain antenna on your chimney and connect a fixed cellular terminal to it. Then you can use DECT to distribute around the house.

Alternatively, you are probably a perfect candidate for Starlink low-latency satellite. It overcomes the latency issues with geo-stationary satellites. Not cheap - but neither are all the poles required to serve you! NBI have allowed for hardest cases to be done on wireless/satellite - and you look like one of the hardest cases. It would make sense for them to subsidize Starlink for you rather than run fibre that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

You only require 2G for voice calls. If you are getting 4G some of the time without a high-gain antenna, you will most likely get 2G all of the time with a high-gain antenna. (assuming you don't have additional trees blocking in Summer). Put a high-gain antenna on your chimney and connect a fixed cellular terminal to it. Then you can use DECT to distribute around the house.

Alternatively, you are probably a perfect candidate for Starlink low-latency satellite. It overcomes the latency issues with geo-stationary satellites. Not cheap - but neither are all the poles required to serve you! NBI have allowed for hardest cases to be done on wireless/satellite - and you look like one of the hardest cases. It would make sense for them to subsidize Starlink for you rather than run fibre that distance.

Agree with everything you say really, as I don't have safe or functional electricity on my property now it will be interesting to see Eir offer me anything but a landline powered by its own 54v DC over copper. I feel very annoyed about their refusal to reinstate my copper landline when their minimal work and cost involved. Imagine someone bought an old house with the power switched off and the ESB were acting like this during an attempt to reconnect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ESB would be recharging the excess costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ESB costs are huge and are still heavily heavily subsidised. If rural dwellers paid the true Opex of the network they require there would be none.

1) Why is this a second thread
    2) You're still on cloud 9
    3) Document you quote has a 16 code meaning it has probably been superseded.

just-stop.jpg

I get that you inherited a little shack in the middle of nowhere but if you want to live in it accept the tradeoffs of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They've refused to install a new copper line and all the work that goes with it as you are too far away and that is totally within their remit as long as they offer you an alternative voice solution which they have

That you are not happy with it is not their problem

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    3) Document you quote has a 16 code meaning it has probably been superseded.

Still current, but due to expire at the end of June. Comreg is to consult on this within the next 2-3 months.

Advertisement