Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Holland Advice

Options
  • 17-01-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Basically looking at getting a second hand tractor with loader,
    Jobs would be feeding and drawing bales, feeding pit silage, slurry, filling fertilizer spreader, taking cattle to mart etc.
    options are:
    New Holland T5070 115hp
    New Holland T6030 120hp
    New Holland TS115A 115hp
    Would a T5070 handle a 1600 gallon tanker easily due to its small size? Land is a little hilly.
    All 3 would easily lift a double handler with fusion bales I assume, bales would be 800kg, any common issues to watch out for in them and what would be the main areas to watch out for wear (besides the obvious, front axle, bushings in loader)
    Would prefer the electrocommand gearbox in the T6030 and TS115A to the dual command gearboxes as its the guaranteed 114lt/m pump

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

The T5070 will be more than capable of doing all of the jobs you've listed. I've a TL90 here, which the T5070 would be based on, for about 15 years now and have done all of them jobs and more with it. To be honest that TL90 has more work done than a lot of 150hp tractors in this country have done.

But in saying that it is always nice to have more weight and more power. In the second hand market at the moment the prices of the 3 tractors you've listed would be very similar so provided you're not restricted by yard size or shed door heights I'd be going for one of the bigger tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

DBK1 wrote: »
    The T5070 will be more than capable of doing all of the jobs you've listed. I've a TL90 here, which the T5070 would be based on, for about 15 years now and have done all of them jobs and more with it. To be honest that TL90 has more work done than a lot of 150hp tractors in this country have done.

But in saying that it is always nice to have more weight and more power. In the second hand market at the moment the prices of the 3 tractors you've listed would be very similar so provided you're not restricted by yard size or shed door heights I'd be going for one of the bigger tractors.

Other consideration is its a lot easier to find T5070s with around 4000 hours, most TSA series and T6000 series would have above 8000 hours, what would you say about the reliability of all the above, any electrics that give trouble or manual things that can be troublesome
    TL90 were a great yoke in fairness and she'll still be going when these new john deeres are broken down

T5070s are generally 40,000 4000 hours and a loader on them
    TS115As tend to be around 25-30,000, around 8000 hours usually and some have loaders
    T6030s tend to get 30-35,000 around 6000-8000 hours and most have loaders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Ford4life wrote: »
    Other consideration is its a lot easier to find T5070s with around 4000 hours, most TSA series and T6000 series would have above 8000 hours, what would you say about the reliability of all the above, any electrics that give trouble or manual things that can be troublesome
    TL90 were a great yoke in fairness and she'll still be going when these new john deeres are broken down.

T5070s are generally 40,000 4000 hours and a loader on them
    TS115As tend to be around 25-30,000, around 8000 hours usually and some have loaders
    T6030s tend to get 30-35,000 around 6000-8000 hours and most have loaders

You might find a Case for handier money, if you weren't colour conscious.

You might find a Case for handier money, if you weren't colour conscious.

I wouldnt be colour conscious at all,just reliability and price are the factors i care about, i find the case tend to be more expensive second hand as they tend to be higher spec and not to mention much rarer than the NH equivalents
    If memory serves me right Case equivalents would be MXU for the TSA series, maxxum would be equivalent to T6000 series and JXU would be equivalent to T5000 series, am i right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

I wouldnt be colour conscious at all,just reliability and price are the factors i care about, i find the case tend to be more expensive second hand as they tend to be higher spec and not to mention much rarer than the NH equivalents
    If memory serves me right Case equivalents would be MXU for the TSA series, maxxum would be equivalent to T6000 series and JXU would be equivalent to T5000 series, am i right or wrong?

Yes fairly right at that. TL series with Iveco 8045 engine were JXU followed by hp number. TL-A series with NEF 4.5litre then went to JX1xxxU numbering and then red T5000 went back to hp number on end of the decal with JXU in small lettering near the cab.
    Tier 2 TS-A was MXU in red, T6000 Delta, Plus and Elite were the Tier 3 versions based on 40 series platform and were Maxxum and Maxxum X-Line in red. The were also Pro and Pro Multicontroller models depending on year and spec. Where the confusion starts on the blue side is the T6000 with Range and Power command boxes, these were Puma ShortwheelBase On the red side.

For comfort with the tank in particular, the 6 cylinder would be a better bet for stability so you’d be better with the TS115A or T6030. Delta models were usually bog spec with 63 or optional 80 litre FD pump but you could also get the standard model with low roof too. 24x24’s can be got with 113CCLS pump but like you say not that common and 115A’s were common enough with EC box also. Either box would be ok for your needs really. Gear linkage cables have a habit of stretching or feeling spongy on the DC models. There’s not a huge amount that goes wrong on them, good solid workhorses and punch well above their weight. If they have front loaders, check axles for wear etc but nearly goes without saying that for any make or model. Keep them serviced regularly and keep on top of gearbox calibration from time to time, especially if you notice any deterioration, usually sorts them out for a while but at 115/120hp, it will never be under any major strain.

• Advertisement

Yes fairly right at that. TL series with Iveco 8045 engine were JXU followed by hp number. TL-A series with NEF 4.5litre then went to JX1xxxU numbering and then red T5000 went back to hp number on end of the decal with JXU in small lettering near the cab.
    Tier 2 TS-A was MXU in red, T6000 Delta, Plus and Elite were the Tier 3 versions based on 40 series platform and were Maxxum and Maxxum X-Line in red. The were also Pro and Pro Multicontroller models depending on year and spec. Where the confusion starts on the blue side is the T6000 with Range and Power command boxes, these were Puma ShortwheelBase On the red side.

For comfort with the tank in particular, the 6 cylinder would be a better bet for stability so you’d be better with the TS115A or T6030. Delta models were usually bog spec with 63 or optional 80 litre FD pump but you could also get the standard model with low roof too. 24x24’s can be got with 113CCLS pump but like you say not that common and 115A’s were common enough with EC box also. Either box would be ok for your needs really. Gear linkage cables have a habit of stretching or feeling spongy on the DC models. There’s not a huge amount that goes wrong on them, good solid workhorses and punch well above their weight. If they have front loaders, check axles for wear etc but nearly goes without saying that for any make or model. Keep them serviced regularly and keep on top of gearbox calibration from time to time, especially if you notice any deterioration, usually sorts them out for a while but at 115/120hp, it will never be under any major strain.

With the gearbox calibration its you stop her when she's warm then you start her up while holding down both the gear buttons on the gearstick, is there more to it or is that pretty much all to it?
    With the electrocommand i hear they can be difficult to get into the lower range of gears as fellas rarely use the 1-8 gears but thats just a case of replacing a stiff cable correct?
    They would never be towing over 10 ton, they should handle that no bother
    The later years of production for all of them should be favoured i assume
    600hrs service interval but i assume it would be safer to do at 500 hours anyway, oil and filters are a lot cheaper than new parts for an engine or backend

Some new hollands can get confusing with spec options, especially 6070,6080&6090 rest tend to stay basic enough

With the gearbox calibration its you stop her when she's warm then you start her up while holding down both the gear buttons on the gearstick, is there more to it or is that pretty much all to it?
    With the electrocommand i hear they can be difficult to get into the lower range of gears as fellas rarely use the 1-8 gears but thats just a case of replacing a stiff cable correct?
    They would never be towing over 10 ton, they should handle that no bother
    The later years of production for all of them should be favoured i assume
    600hrs service interval but i assume it would be safer to do at 500 hours anyway, oil and filters are a lot cheaper than new parts for an engine or backend

Some new hollands can get confusing with spec options, especially 6070,6080&6090 rest tend to stay basic enough

Slightly different procedures for 24x24 vs 16x16. Accessed by pressing upshift and downshift and starting engine. Ideally done after a days work so everything good and warm. With 24x24, clutch pack has to be selected using combination of buttons on the dash and the buttons on the gear lever, 2 packs to be done and youre adjusting he value on the dash upwards or downwards so drive is take up around 35% of upwards travel of the clutch pedal.
    On 16x16, synchronisers are calibrated first, then C1, C2 clutch packs with range lever in one position, C3 and C4 packs with range lever in another position and in case of 50k models the C5 or overdrive clutch done in another lever position. If the driveline has torque sensors for auto shifting, there’s another part of calibration for those.
    That’s sort of it in a nutshell but it’s a process that takes 15 mins or so to do.
    600hours on engine and 1200 on rear axle, always no harm pulling in a bit early if needed. Range cable can seize from lack of use but can often be spongy too on ones that do work, never worried too much about them anyway.
    All depends on budget as to how far up in years you can go but a TS115A 2005 would be every bit as good as an 08/09 T6030, for me it would all depend on your budget and how far you can stretch it.

Slightly different procedures for 24x24 vs 16x16. Accessed by pressing upshift and downshift and starting engine. Ideally done after a days work so everything good and warm. With 24x24, clutch pack has to be selected using combination of buttons on the dash and the buttons on the gear lever, 2 packs to be done and youre adjusting he value on the dash upwards or downwards so drive is take up around 35% of upwards travel of the clutch pedal.
    On 16x16, synchronisers are calibrated first, then C1, C2 clutch packs with range lever in one position, C3 and C4 packs with range lever in another position and in case of 50k models the C5 or overdrive clutch done in another lever position. If the driveline has torque sensors for auto shifting, there’s another part of calibration for those.
    That’s sort of it in a nutshell but it’s a process that takes 15 mins or so to do.
    600hours on engine and 1200 on rear axle, always no harm pulling in a bit early if needed. Range cable can seize from lack of use but can often be spongy too on ones that do work, never worried too much about them anyway.
    All depends on budget as to how far up in years you can go but a TS115A 2005 would be every bit as good as an 08/09 T6030, for me it would all depend on your budget and how far you can stretch it.

Could stretch to 30 maybe 35 for a lowish houred example from a dealer with warranty maybe, GF Coyle deals with a decent few of them and could probably source one easily enough, I plan on going doing work for other fellas with her too, drawing bales and slurry etc Theres no major torque difference between the TS115A and the T6030 is there? FPT engine in T6030 and NEF engine in TS115A

Theres no major torque difference between the TS115A and the T6030 is there? FPT engine in T6030 and NEF engine in TS115A

520Nm in the 115A and 555Nm in the T6030. Barely noticeable. Difference is Tier 2 and Tier 3, the latter has internal EGR by means of additional lobe on camshaft, would have been only major difference but youd never see or notice it in daily use, only if you ever tried to measure and compare emissions at the exhaust stack on both.
    NEF was a nomenclature for the JV between Cummins and Iveco when the engine was designed back in the early 00's. Stood for New Engine Family. You'd also see on some EEA in raised letters in places on the blocks, which stood for European Engine Alliance. Iveco Motors now fall under umbrella of FPT or Fiat Powertrain Technologies, who manufacture the engine. It's essentially the same motor, just slight difference in internals to accomodate emission regulations.

520Nm in the 115A and 555Nm in the T6030. Barely noticeable. Difference is Tier 2 and Tier 3, the latter has internal EGR by means of additional lobe on camshaft, would have been only major difference but youd never see or notice it in daily use, only if you ever tried to measure and compare emissions at the exhaust stack on both.
    NEF was a nomenclature for the JV between Cummins and Iveco when the engine was designed back in the early 00's. Stood for New Engine Family. You'd also see on some EEA in raised letters in places on the blocks, which stood for European Engine Alliance. Iveco Motors now fall under umbrella of FPT or Fiat Powertrain Technologies, who manufacture the engine. It's essentially the same motor, just slight difference in internals to accomodate emission regulations.

Either would pull a 2000 gal tanker easily enough so, how long would it take them to burn a full tank of diesel if say they were flat out on the agitator? 8-12 hours?
    That makes sense that the newer engines would just be an updated version of the older ones
    Emissions regulations have probably ruined a decent few tractors, Fiat F1-- series comes to mind, they seemed dead to fellas as when they were being made they were derated a small bit to reduce emissions, still a powerful yoke though

• Advertisement
Advertisement