Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures

• 31-10-2020 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure I'll live to regret this, but f**k it this is the best time of year for watching films in the evenings, so why not.

How It Works:

Movie Walrus works similar to Music Walrus, where the host decides the categories and the players submit their choices via PM based on the same.

Then when the host has watched and scored the categories, there will be a grand reveal and points will be awarded, certain films ripped to shreds and others praised wrongly or rightfully so, because as with music film tastes are subjective, and I'm all over the shop in what I like and don't like (but not gonna give anything away... ;))

Why Am I Doing This?

Well for starters, I used to review films professionally back in the day so it will be interesting to do something like this. I also don't care about how much high praise everyone else gives a film, I was always honest in my reviews and if it wasn't for me it wasn't for me, and likewise I often praised films that were critically panned by others.

Secondly, I used to go to the cinema a lot, and would happily go on my own on the spur of the moment in the middle of the afternoon, but given the current global pandemic, I haven't been able to do that, so this will hopefully make up for that.

When I mention that I was a film reviewer and have an interest in films, people tend to assume I know and have seen all the films and especially the classics, but that isn't always the case, and as long as its a good one I'm always happy to re-watch a film I've seen before over and over again anyway, so don't worry too much about what I may or may not be familiar with when making your selections...

The Categories:

1. The Horror ; I don't scare easy, but I love a good Horror, Slasher or Teen Scream all the same, so that's all I want here, something that will hopefully have me cowering behind the couch and jumping at every little sound for days after, or at the very least sitting at the edge of my seat shouting angrily at the stupidity of the characters on screen.

2. The Comedy ; I'm sure I've probably mentioned my four years working as a Stand-Up Comedian (back in my early-mid twenties) here before, so needless to say I enjoy a good laugh, so hit me with your favourite comedy films for this one.

3. The Documentary ; I'm a sucker for a true (and often unbelievable) story, so documentaries tend to go down well with me, yet are often the hardest to get recommendations on, so show me what you got.

4. The Great Film with a Killer Soundtrack ; so in this one I'll be ranking both the overall film (the story, the acting, etc.) and the soundtrack, so there'll be more points on offer here than in the other categories. I definitely think an epic soundtrack can elevate a lackluster film and vice versa, but I really want the best of the best here, so both aspects should be great as far as you're concerned and I'm sure I'll definitely be disagreeing heartily with some of them, such is the fun of Walrus... :D

Sumbissions and Deadlines

Send me a PM with your choices (1 film per category, for those unfamiliar with how Walrus works) and please provide IMDB links to the film (just to make sure I watch the right one). Also make it clear which category you're submitting each film for to avoid any confusion.

I don't want to set any limits on how many people can enter, because that sucks, but obviously the more there is the longer it will take to get around to the reveal, and I want to get started straight away, so instead of a limit, it's gonna be a 48 hour deadline.

Get your submissions in by 1pm on Monday November 2nd

Best of luck, b*tches! ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm in. Love the categories, the third and fourth were difficult-ish but I think I put in some good submissions... Time will tell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wasn't expecting an entry that quickly... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hey Levar, for the killer soundtrack category do you prefer original score music or songs? Or either would do?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Hey Levar, for the killer soundtrack category do you prefer original score music or songs? Or either would do?

Either works for me, as long as its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

inskidoodles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In too.

Comedy was the most difficult for me, as it's a genre that's difficult to define and I didn't want to go for a romantic comedy.
    And then documentary - so many choices.

5 people in already after 2 hours... at this rate I'll have over 100 people in before lunchtime on Monday... :D

This one might take awhile to get through, so don't expect any reveals anytime soon... ;)

But it will happen and will do it as quickly as I can...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

5 people in already after 2 hours... at this rate I'll have over 100 people in before lunchtime on Monday... :D

This one might take awhile to get through, so don't expect any reveals anytime soon... ;)

But it will happen and will do it as quickly as I can...

Ah now...I'd be expecting something by next weekend :)

First 2 categories I think I have, will have to think about the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

entry is IN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm in, hopefully we have more similar taste in movies than music :pac: Although two of the movies are pretty music heavy so I'm expecting you to hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ties in nicely with Kolido's tournament

Will get thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ties in nicely with Kolido's tournament

Will get thinking

Ties in nicely with Necro's Movie Walrus too, starting Saturday I believe. Can't wait.

9 entries in now.

Some interesting choices so far ; some I've seen before (although I have varying degrees of memory on some of the ones I've previously seen), some I've heard a good bit about, and some that aren't ringing any bells at all. Looking forward to getting stuck in to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you think my music tastes where strange, wait until you get my films.

Just over 16 hours left to get submissions in if you're planning to do so...

12 people already in, and they are...

Necro
    S1ippy
    Hello 2D Person Below
    tusk
    Irish Aris
    Shane U
    the purple tin
    fixXxer
    Sawduck
    JP Liz V1
    RasTa
    Kolido

Last call! Last call! Last call!

Anyone still considering entering, you've got just over 2 hours left to get your sh*t together and PM me your submissions.

Up to 13 now as MicksJaguar joins the aforementioned 12.

If any Mods are lurking, could you change the Thread Title to Sign-Ups Closed, please and thank you

Sign-Ups are Now Closed

I will however allow an hour grace period on the off chance anyone is currently right in the process of typing up their submissions

I've been plowing through the Horror Films since Saturday afternoon, and only have 2 left to watch from that category... Tús Maith, Leath na hOibre and all that...

I've a few weeks now where I can get stuck in and watch a few films a day, so planning to just keep going and doing all the reveals over a couple of nights once I've finished the lot. If nothing unexpected happens and I can keep up the momentum, the whole thing will be done and dusted, revealed and a winner crowned before November ends.

As a tease, and since it's the horror category this might put the sh*ts up a few people, one of the horror films that was put forward is by far the absolute worst thing I've ever been forced to sit through (so far anyway), and I've seen some sh*te films in my time... Stew on the fear that it's one of your selections for a few weeks... ;)

But also, thanks everyone for entering! I'm having a lot of fun already. :D

Reveal starting this Weekend, check out the reveal thread for more details:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058130432

• Advertisement

A reminder to anyone not already aware of the other thread, that the reveal will be starting in approx 7 hours from now...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058130432

Advertisement