Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Bike

Options
  • 25-10-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Was looking at a track bike there before the lockdown. No V5 but has the chassis number on the frame but no engine number on the casing whatsoever. Run a mile or is that the norm for track weapons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ye take your chances...if its a track bike it'll probably be ridden to its death, dropped several times, different engines, wheels fairings etc....depends how fussy you are and the price..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Doyler365

Ye take your chances...if its a track bike it'll probably be ridden to its death, dropped several times, different engines, wheels fairings etc....depends how fussy you are and the price..

No different to some of the road bikes I've seen over the years so lol. The engine number grinded away off the engine casing is my biggest worry on the one I looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wouldn't worry about that..probably on its fifth engine...:D
    Only major thing I'd be checking is wheel alignment and welds on the frame....everything else, bearings, seals etc can be changed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Why would the engine number be ground off? Is there a legit reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The only semi-legit reason I can see is that somebody replaced the Engine when it was a Road Bike and didn't want the hassle of getting the Engine Number changed on the VLC.
    That's the unlikely version ;).

Really the only other reason for grinding off the number is that the replacement Engine came out of a stolen Bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I know my track bike is on its 3rd engine

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Doyler365

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The only semi-legit reason I can see is that somebody replaced the Engine when it was a Road Bike and didn't want the hassle of getting the Engine Number changed on the VLC.
    That's the unlikely version ;).

Really the only other reason for grinding off the number is that the replacement Engine came out of a stolen Bike.

I'm was hoping to do track days over in the Uk as well as Irl. The police do spot checks at the track days now and again over there and impound bikes if things aren't kosher. I'd have a wee bit of explaining to do with a grinded off engine number on the casing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I think you've answered your "run a mile" question......

Advertisement