Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir credit disappearing

Options
  • 21-09-2020 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if the right area
    Situation is my friend had about 60 euro credit on his phone, topped up last week by a fiver (to keep the number active, as he never calls anyone on it really)
    Got a text confirming the top up and the new credit balance of about 6 euro (six)

Called eir - rep couldn't work it out and someone was to call back, missed the call a few days later

Called again today - rep says she cannot even see the top ups on the account never mind where the credit is or where it's gone (after 30 mins on hold while she checked), asked to find out the bank transfer code and call back and in the meantime would add 5 euro on

Few hours later and that credit dropped to 3.22, few hours more and it's gone again. The phone hasn't been used!

Anyone any clues as to what is happening - or is it just the usual inept eir?
    Had the number for years and never an issue.

Mobile data is disabled before anyone asks

If nothing comes to light tomorrow should I put in an official complaint to get it investigated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Premium SMS?

Was premium SMS bar ever applied to the account?

Try sending...

PRSMSBAR to 50104

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No premium anything was ever setup - surely if there was there would be sms's coming in

As the rep said she cannot see literally anything on the account so if there was premium SMS's they surely could have seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

No premium anything was ever setup - surely if there was there would be sms's coming in
    Possibly not, those SMS scammers aren't too bothered about following the rules. There are many threads of phantom sign ups where charges were applied without any knowledge or consent.
    As the rep said she cannot see literally anything on the account so if there was premium SMS's they surely could have seen it
    They must have some records of what was spent, is the account set up in My Eir? That would show usage history for a few months.

Just checked My Eir...can't log in so there's some sort of maintenance going on or some other problem with their portal.

Been trying to register on myeir for the past week - just keeps giving an error

Possible the premium sms is the issue - since they have never had a text sent and eir saying they cannot see anything then he is in a quandary

Actually he's just confirmed he had something like 5.22 give or take a cent or two (assuming the 5 euro the rep gave)
    Then it went down to 3.22 and now it is 1.23

That's all since about 6pm this evening

Maybe this premium SMS is the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Father in law had a similar issue, would top up, get an offer activation text, but credit was being taken for regular calls and texts which were supposed to be included. The offer expiry date in the text never matched the website, sometimes credit would just disappear with no record in the usage section in the website. Customer service couldn't see any of the information or help beyond saying it shouldn't be happening. Gave up in the end and switched to Gomo.

Edit: I get they're both Eir but the Gomo model is much simpler.

He doesn't have any packages - like I said barely uses the phone

Eir are the most annoying company to contact - only number for prepay is a chargeable number and like in this case you cannot call as all your credit has disappeared
    Thankfully got on to someone in I think the sales department who didn't brush us off with you need to call the paid number

I'm with gomo myself - never had a problem or need to contact support - just works

fritzelly wrote: »
    Actually he's just confirmed he had something like 5.22 give or take a cent or two (assuming the 5 euro the rep gave)
    Then it went down to 3.22 and now it is 1.23

That's all since about 6pm this evening

Maybe this premium SMS is the issue

This sounds a lot like a problem I've seen with Three and the amounts being taken add up to a daily data allowance despite mobile data being switched off.

"Out of Bundle charges: €1.99 per day for 100MB, 2c per MB/€20.48 per GB thereafter. For further information on our prepay pricing click"

With Eir if you switch on mobile data and use it do they send you a text to say your daily allowance is active? Three do so thats how I knew what was going on. That said if you phoned Eir they should have been able to tell you what the charge was for surely? With Three it was like talking to a brick wall or worse it was insinuated I was either lying or incompetent when telling them mobile data was switched off. In they end I had to have them disable it from their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

He doesn't have any packages - like I said barely uses the phone

Eir are the most annoying company to contact - only number for prepay is a chargeable number and like in this case you cannot call as all your credit has disappeared

You can call their international number cheaper.

+353 1 430 7066

Unfortunately did not get the same rep today
    Have been told he's on a package for unlimited texts and calls (never has been) doesn't explain credit reducing by 2 euro every few hours and has never received a text saying the package is active, still couldn't see where the money has gone...

Awaiting another callback

• Advertisement

Got thru to someone else yesterday who said mobile data was being used and he was getting charged 1.64 for something like 2mb several times (doesn't actually tally with the 1.99 charges) - mobile data for September shows zero usage

He popped 8 euro credit on to the balance so he had 9.23
    I removed all the APN's from the phone and setup a dummy one so it is impossible for any data to be used?

Hey presto today he has had two 1.99 charges applied

Am I wrong in the fact that without an APN no data connection can be made?

edit the 1.64 could be ex-vat...

If mobile data is switched off on the phone it shouldn't be possible to send or receive data , end of story.

Apps cannot switch it on by themselves, at best they have to display a prompt to have you manually switch it on.

There was a huge thread on three's own forums on the problem as a few had the same issue going back to 2017 and one person in particular had a a theory as to what was happening. I know you are with Eir but this sounds like the same thing that was going on. I'll see if I can dig out a link.

I'm my case they were able to tell me in each instance it was 1kb of data used each time I was charged. Data off and usually in the middle of the night

Anyway you could get Eir to block data on their end and see if that fixes it , and if it does investigate how you are being charged for data you are not using. Good luck with the last part though if they are anything like Three the best I got was a "good will gesture" of €10 credit and zero explanation as to what was going on despite escalating to their networks team.

EDIT: Link I mentioned, again I know you with Eir but this should all sound familiar to you. If I recall one person was even getting charged while the phone was actually off.

https://community.three.ie/t5/Prepay/Repeatedly-charged-for-data-despite-mobile-data-turned-off/td-p/755210/page/12

Also I just noticed you say you got more than one a day, for that to occur I'd put it to Eir that the allowance you get for 1.99 is 100mb out of offer, and once you exceed that you get charged by the MB but instead you get another 1.99 charge and all the while no data is being used?

Very similar - there are 1kb of data in the log but no charges for them then there was 2mb of data and a charge of 1.64 each time (I can only guess that would be +vat to get 1.99 that is being charged)
    €1.99 is their charge for 100mb of data so why multiple charges if only these tiny amounts of data being apparently being used?

Got on to someone else today - got tech to disable all data on the account - even tho with all the APN's removed since yesterday there was a further 3 x €1.99 charges

Rep also gave him 40 euro credit
    Not one rep or tech has been able to give an explanation for what is happening

Will see...that thread link would be great.

Also apparently he is on a 20 euro package for all data and calls - the reps keep mentioning this as some sort of explanation - he never set anything like that up, barely uses the phone bar the odd call here and there and has never received a text saying the package was activated, if it was why the charge for data...

Also I just noticed you say you got more than one a day, for that to occur I'd put it to Eir that the allowance you get for 1.99 is 100mb out of offer, and once you exceed that you get charged by the MB but instead you get another 1.99 charge and all the while no data is being used?

Was two charges last night, another one this afternoon - talking to one rep it was like one or two data access here and there, not lots every day

Thanks for the link, will have a butchers now

Finally got logged into myeir

Charges
    15/09 00:42 - 2 * €1.6446 at the same time
    16/09 16:16 - 1.6446
    23/09 15:34 - 1.6446
    24/09 17:12 - 1.6446
    25/09 14:26 - 1.6446

So there is no kind of pattern to it and there are charges not even showing on the account - 7.96 euro has been taken since yesterday afternoon but only those 2 charges showing.
    This has only been happening this month - there is nothing showing for previous months

1.6446 x 1.21 (21% VAT rate) is 1.99 rounded up. So it doesn't even tell you what you are being billed for or they can't even tell you?

I'm no expert in this sort of stuff but I would I'd guess there should be something in the law to say a company can't just bill you for stuff and not be able to tell you what it was for?

Keep all correspondence and get on to comreg is an option. I've never had any dealings with them so maybe others can advise on what happens there.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

When logged into MyEir, what does it say about the plan thats currently active/in-use?

Spocker wrote: »
    When logged into MyEir, what does it say about the plan thats currently active/in-use?

No plan in effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

I had a similar issue years ago.discovered it was Zamano in Dublin causing.They were convicted of fraud and returned monies.That was after I got a refund from them,aso got a refund from 3.Quids up! The charges stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Is it possible that somehow a premium SMS was set up a while ago? Each time its topped up, the provider is taking its charge per text that may have been sent previously.

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    Is it possible that somehow a premium SMS was set up a while ago? Each time its topped up, the provider is taking its charge per text that may have been sent previously.

Eir say nothing showing but I doubt they can take money for something you received in the past plus premium sms is barred

The 1.99 is like 99.9% positive the data charges even tho the phone is not making any data calls

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Port the number out and back if you want to be on Eir. It'll instantiate a new account.

Easier than dealing with Eir.

Eir get worse
    After been given 40 euro credit, 20 euro coming straight off for the all calls and data for a month package he started getting charged for calls

I assume because I told the rep to disable the package for the future she just immediately disabled the package but other calls were not being charged for

Told him to port to Tesco once the credit is gone - eir are not worth all the hassle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Told him to port to Tesco once the credit is gone - eir are not worth all the hassle
    I would still insist on an itemised bill from them so they can explain the charges.
    Other than that, I would not give them any more money.
    Ever!

I would still insist on an itemised bill from them so they can explain the charges.
    Other than that, I would not give them any more money.
    Ever!

Can see all the charges on myeir - but most of the "data" charges are not listed - he has had the number with them for well over 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Kittykat67

I have this issue now. I was on €20 free meteor calls and texts and keep the credit, was on this for years. Then in October was sent a text that this package was changing in December to free Eir calls unlimited texts and 1 Gb Internet and keep my €20. Was happy enough with this. Worked fine in December then in January one day I noticed €8 had disappeared. I don't use the mobile data and had only sent a few texts. Rang them to be told they didn't kniw what happened to the credit and then that the new package they put me on no longer exists and I don't have a package. Now this still would not have explained the €8 disappearing. She refunded me the €8. Then few days later €4 had disappeared. I never got a chance to contact them after that. Then yesterday I topped up by €5 I sent one text and checked it costs 15c. Just checked tonight €3.99 had disappeared and I have not used it today. Mobile data is off all the time. I'll ring them tomorrow. I'm changing networks if they don't sort it. Why is the credit vanishing, from what I can see if you are not on a package they will take your credit so that you will sign up for a 20 or 30€ monthly package. I don't have any premium SMS issues either. I never had this issue till they changed my package.

Good luck getting this sorted out with eir

Good luck getting this sorted out with eir

So it seems this is a regular occurrence and not just happening to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

lads contact comreg. they will tell you step by step what to do. I found out that the misses had subscribed to something years ago but never had credit as she had the 20 euro everything free plan. when she put on extra they would take it like an entry to a draw. I tried the "stop" text to the number and they continued to take money. So I contacted the number through the channel provided by comreg and warned them that what they were doing was illegal as they had no permission to take money from my account and demanded a refund.

I got the money back from when I text the stop without issue.

• Advertisement

phester28 wrote: »
    lads contact comreg. they will tell you step by step what to do. I found out that the misses had subscribed to something years ago but never had credit as she had the 20 euro everything free plan. when she put on extra they would take it like an entry to a draw. I tried the "stop" text to the number and they continued to take money. So I contacted the number through the channel provided by comreg and warned them that what they were doing was illegal as they had no permission to take money from my account and demanded a refund.

I got the money back from when I text the stop without issue.

Thanks. This isn't the issue for me because I have always kept my credit with the package I was on so money never left unless I used it. It is only since January since they took away my package that the credit is disappearing. I'm going to ring them tomorrow.

Advertisement