Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-10-2020, 14:27   #31
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
[QUOTE=Graces7;114849285]Can you show me the legislation that proves this please? Thank you

Then there d+++++ well should be! I am still legally registered with my GP! My medical card is in HIS name!
/QUOTE]

My registration is valid, with my chosen GP.
Graces7 is offline  
Advertisement
29-12-2020, 02:15   #32
Shazamm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Strumms;lost a reply to the boards gremlin.

Google Irish Patients Association. There is a time limit re all these things and it ha sbeen exceeded

also go to the HSE site and read re making a complaint?

The system DOES work .. pm me if you need,
has the irish patients association been any help to you?

I have not even gotten a reply from them and they seem to be another advocy group who do sweet..^..all.
Shazamm is offline  
29-12-2020, 06:08   #33
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazamm View Post
has the irish patients association been any help to you?

I have not even gotten a reply from them and they seem to be another advocy group who do sweet..^..all.
They are policy folk. Not folk who involve with patients unless they fits with that. And not responding seems to be the norm. Maybe others here have different experiences?

My TD has now taken an interest in my ongoing issue. I mentioned the name of the local complaints officer I was having trouble with... Immediate reply.

Coping as best I can with no pain relief, I have it inwriting over and over again that if I register with @@@@@@@ I can have meds . They know that is not going to happen. NB I also know that @@@@@@@@ never prescribes anything stronger than Panadol anyways.


It is in real terms near blackmail . No patient care in it.

And the way he changes tack when I quote rules is amazing ie the facts change as I catch out a serious inaccuracy.

I have no respect left. I have had excellent doctors. Deeply grateful to them. Caring, skilled folk .

But now? Well I am 77 and maybe this is as far as I am meant to go. Living mostly abed and losing mobility as else the pain is too much. Life is sweet but this is too much

Trying a slightly different tack today but they are all on holiday until Jan 6th
Graces7 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2020, 07:22   #34
Ave Sodalis
Registered User
 
Ave Sodalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,150
If it's any consolation OP, I developed symptoms 7 years ago and I am no further forward towards getting a diagnosis despite my symptoms getting considerably worse. It took years to get a GP to take me seriously in the first place, and now it's just waiting list after waiting list.

I was discharged from the rheumy without ever being told, after one triage appointment with a physio. I waited well over a year for that appointment, and the OT told me I will definitely need to be seen there again. I rang them nearly a year later to see what was going on and they then informed me I had been discharged and if I wanted to go back, I'd have to go back on the waiting list. I'm going to be honest here and say I cried during that phone call.

I'm waiting several months now on an MRI and a neurologist appointment. I'd be lucky to get either in the next year.

I was referred to the ENT as I've had a problem with my nose since I was a child. It wasn't massively serious but I do have a nasal drip and get frequent enough infections, which can cause a lot of pain. I went in with the full awareness that they were limited in what they could do, but the reason my GP referred me there in the first place was because my mental and physical health at the time were locked in a downwards spiral with each other and if one small thing could be fixed, it might break that spiral. Again, it took over a year to get an appointment, and there were nearly a year between appointments. My 3rd appointment, I left utterly humiliated and furious as the doctor told me I just didn't know what a cold was, and accused me of being a hypochondriac. Now, I'm the type of person who works in a high risk environment, that doesn't tolerate softness. I've broken bones and continued on with my day so a hypochondriac I am definitely not.

I waiting again over a year for a dietitian appointment through the HSE for IBS, with the intent of starting a low FODMAP diet. I finally got one at the start of this year. I was told to eat more fibre and we would review in a month. A month came and went, and no sign. About 6/7 months later, I finally got a second appointment via phone, and was told I was eating too much fibre (despite eating what they told me to) and to cut back, and also cut out onion and garlic. Also, that dietitian told me during that appointment that they didn't actually do FODMAP diets. They told me they would ring me back in 6 weeks, and refer me onto another dietitian who did specialise in FODMAP diets if their new suggestion didn't work. Well, it has been 5 months since then and still no 3rd appointment, and I have no way of contacting them as the phone line used before isn't answered.

So yeah, I'm in my mid 20s and I can barely move some days. There have been morning where I had to slowly drag myself up the hallway because I couldn't stand. My hands don't function properly, my hips are starting to go, I am seriously fatigued most days, my memory and cognitive function are declining terrifyingly. I used to do sport 5 evenings a week and now some days just getting to the bathroom is a chore. I used to be considered gifted, and was in advanced adult creative writing courses as a young teen, and now I have days where sentence structure doesn't exist, I forget what I'm saying half way through saying it, and I make a ridiculous amount of typos. Some days I could be looking right at the thing I'm searching for and it wouldn't register in my brain that I'm seeing it.
Yet, because of the incompetence of the HSE and GPs before them in so many ways, I am left undiagnosed and untreated. Whilst I understand they're swamped busy even during normal times, there have been several cases where it has just been obviously oversights and lack of care that has been dragging this entire experience out. I don't know when I'll ever get answers, or if I'll ever gets answers. I just have to hope whatever it is isn't terminal or causing too much of a reduced life expectancy.
Ave Sodalis is offline  
(5) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 09:01   #35
thegills
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms
Still it’s grossly inefficient as regards my situation.... patients shouldn’t really have to chase up appointments ... appointments should be assigned as and when needed.

Maybe in the real world. But when dealing with Government agencies the customer always needs to chase up. Its sad but true. If they said they would call you ask by when. If they don't call you chase them down.
thegills is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-12-2020, 10:23   #36
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Sodalis View Post
If it's any consolation OP, I developed symptoms 7 years ago and I am no further forward towards getting a diagnosis despite my symptoms getting considerably worse. It took years to get a GP to take me seriously in the first place, and now it's just waiting list after waiting list.

I was discharged from the rheumy without ever being told, after one triage appointment with a physio. I waited well over a year for that appointment, and the OT told me I will definitely need to be seen there again. I rang them nearly a year later to see what was going on and they then informed me I had been discharged and if I wanted to go back, I'd have to go back on the waiting list. I'm going to be honest here and say I cried during that phone call.

I'm waiting several months now on an MRI and a neurologist appointment. I'd be lucky to get either in the next year.

I was referred to the ENT as I've had a problem with my nose since I was a child. It wasn't massively serious but I do have a nasal drip and get frequent enough infections, which can cause a lot of pain. I went in with the full awareness that they were limited in what they could do, but the reason my GP referred me there in the first place was because my mental and physical health at the time were locked in a downwards spiral with each other and if one small thing could be fixed, it might break that spiral. Again, it took over a year to get an appointment, and there were nearly a year between appointments. My 3rd appointment, I left utterly humiliated and furious as the doctor told me I just didn't know what a cold was, and accused me of being a hypochondriac. Now, I'm the type of person who works in a high risk environment, that doesn't tolerate softness. I've broken bones and continued on with my day so a hypochondriac I am definitely not.

I waiting again over a year for a dietitian appointment through the HSE for IBS, with the intent of starting a low FODMAP diet. I finally got one at the start of this year. I was told to eat more fibre and we would review in a month. A month came and went, and no sign. About 6/7 months later, I finally got a second appointment via phone, and was told I was eating too much fibre (despite eating what they told me to) and to cut back, and also cut out onion and garlic. Also, that dietitian told me during that appointment that they didn't actually do FODMAP diets. They told me they would ring me back in 6 weeks, and refer me onto another dietitian who did specialise in FODMAP diets if their new suggestion didn't work. Well, it has been 5 months since then and still no 3rd appointment, and I have no way of contacting them as the phone line used before isn't answered.

So yeah, I'm in my mid 20s and I can barely move some days. There have been morning where I had to slowly drag myself up the hallway because I couldn't stand. My hands don't function properly, my hips are starting to go, I am seriously fatigued most days, my memory and cognitive function are declining terrifyingly. I used to do sport 5 evenings a week and now some days just getting to the bathroom is a chore. I used to be considered gifted, and was in advanced adult creative writing courses as a young teen, and now I have days where sentence structure doesn't exist, I forget what I'm saying half way through saying it, and I make a ridiculous amount of typos. Some days I could be looking right at the thing I'm searching for and it wouldn't register in my brain that I'm seeing it.
Yet, because of the incompetence of the HSE and GPs before them in so many ways, I am left undiagnosed and untreated. Whilst I understand they're swamped busy even during normal times, there have been several cases where it has just been obviously oversights and lack of care that has been dragging this entire experience out. I don't know when I'll ever get answers, or if I'll ever gets answers. I just have to hope whatever it is isn't terminal or causing too much of a reduced life expectancy.
Appalling saga; much the same runaround as I had in the UK for 30 years except that theu opted for nervous/mental illness which was like leprosy.

Then I hit the brick wall of sneering and mockery re M.E.

I had one excellent GP who believed me and let me make the pace and tell him what I needed. Four years of calm and support. He retired as I moved, Now I am in the situation of having made a justified serious complaint and am hitting a brick wall.. They need to remember and respect that we are ill rather than taking advantage of our age and weakness.
As long as I can find where to buy pain relief that is me and drs finished and I can make a Living Will to that effect.
Graces7 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2020, 10:27   #37
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Odd. I decided to call the GP I am still registered with to try for one last prescription as he is about to retire, The number says " Not recognised" . Tried the pharmacy and they have that number for him...

I have not contacted him since the massive chaos back in October. The HSE officials were trying to stop me contacting him then. Backing me into a corner?

Remote places can get very strange. VERY strange
Graces7 is offline  
29-12-2020, 10:47   #38
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegills View Post
Maybe in the real world. But when dealing with Government agencies the customer always needs to chase up. Its sad but true. If they said they would call you ask by when. If they don't call you chase them down.
Which ,when "the customer" is old and/or ill?

My only recourse now is to fin online codeine who will deliver albeit illegally to Ireland. And then no more drs!

I thought NHS was bad but they never ever left patients without care. or without meds. Always made sure of that. HSE is a whole different ball game
Graces7 is offline  
29-12-2020, 11:00   #39
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Seems the dr has kind of vanished just before he was about to retire.

So no more medical card.
Graces7 is offline  
Advertisement
29-12-2020, 11:08   #40
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Seems the dr has kind of vanished just before he was about to retire.

So no more medical card.
I thought over 70s automatically qualify for medical card once income is below a set level?
gozunda is online now  
29-12-2020, 12:04   #41
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
I thought over 70s automatically qualify for medical card once income is below a set level?
We do but there has to be a named doctor on the card. And not planning to register as no one near now.

West mayo is very short of GPs

Need to find out re meds though off the card.
Graces7 is offline  
29-12-2020, 12:48   #42
sunbeam
Registered User
 
sunbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Odd. I decided to call the GP I am still registered with to try for one last prescription as he is about to retire, The number says " Not recognised" . Tried the pharmacy and they have that number for him...

I have not contacted him since the massive chaos back in October. The HSE officials were trying to stop me contacting him then. Backing me into a corner?

Remote places can get very strange. VERY strange

I'm getting that error with a lot of numbers where I am including my own line which is dead. Might be related to the storm.
sunbeam is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2020, 12:52   #43
fineso.mom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 945
No identifying information for the sake of privacy of all involved

Last edited by Gremlinertia; 29-12-2020 at 16:12. Reason: Mod edit
fineso.mom is offline  
Thanks from:
29-12-2020, 13:00   #44
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,285
Graces, it's a little hard to follow what has happened. Is it the case that the doctor close to you they want you to register with, after the retirement of your old doctor, is one which you do not want to attend as you do not feel he/she will prescribe the appropriate pain medication?
John Hutton is offline  
29-12-2020, 13:27   #45
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,506
Quoted identifying information removed

Last edited by Gremlinertia; 29-12-2020 at 16:14. Reason: Mod edit
Graces7 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet