Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered executive job but worried Im an "imposter"

Options
  • 12-08-2020 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

This is maybe a 'good problem' but it is weighing on my mind a bit so would appreciate any /all perspectives.

A guy I worked with years ago recently became a CEO and contacted me to offer me a job as his COO / Head of Operations, I interviewed with his team and I got the job and should start in about a months time.

At first I thought, great!! But problem is, ever since I have been stressing out if I really can do the job, it would be a big step up for me and I would be responsible for restructuring the business. I think I suffer a lot from "imposter syndrome" - the CEO says they believe I am the right person but now I cant sleep thinking about how underqualified I am for the job and what a dusaster its going to be. Its really stressing me out and I half wish I had never said yes now. Then I think, well give it a shot and see, but its not like jobs I have had before, and I worry that the business and peoples careers will rely heavily on me making the right decisions.

If anyone has any perspective or similar experience it would be great to hear it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bloody go for it, and shur if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

One thing you'll learn is that many executives' haven't a clue what they are doing at all. You meet them in various guises.

But the decent ones recognise that and their skills are cultivating the team around them and ensuring the right people are there that do know what they are doing and giving them voice and place to use those skills. Bad executives believe they have to make all he decisions. Good ones allow decisions to be voiced. The biggest skill is relationship building communication and knowing when to step in and out when your input is a hindrance. People have to trust you and visa versa you have to trust others. It's really about leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Lots of people have imposter syndrome. You interviewed and got the job, so they think you are a good fit. Sometimes other people are better judges that ourselves :-)
    How you feel or what you think about the job don't matter at all to other people. What matters is what you do. Use your logic and good judgement, be open to to the talent of your team and communicate. You will be absolutely fine.

To be honest I would prefer someone with a healthy dose of imposter syndrome than a, exceedingly confident know-it-all as COO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Congrats. If you were not up for the job you would not have got it. There are plenty of really talented people out there who can do this job...you are one of them.

Don't let the title scare you. The role is about organising the operations of the business and making the business run smoothly and profitably.

Don't be afraid to look for training too...plenty of executive trainings course around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Can't say I've been in that position.. but if the team and processes are already in good shape you can spend the initial 6 months observing the lie of the land and settling in. Even if they're not in good shape that's still probably how you should spend the first 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I moved from pure accounting roles to now being general manager of a company with 65 employees in ireland and 65 employees in UK.

Now doing things like IT strategy, HR, legal, insurance, compliance, training and project management. I was at least spared becoming the covid officer!

Frightens me every day but its going OK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sometimes a layman with common sense is better for the job.

Firstly it sounds like you've a good conscience so you don't fall into the high percentage of psychopath's who have powerful positions.

Secondly you are able to stand back and think about a decision and different outcomes, that's an admirable trait.

If you don't like the job at least you'll have the experience and it'll elevate you up to a new level.

Best of luck in your new position :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You are working yourself up because of the waiting.

I think you need to keep your mind busy for the next month so you can't over think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

This isn't a job with people who are only basing their opinion of you on an interview process - the CEO worked with you before, even if it was a while ago. They know you. I also concur with the comment above, you'll likely spend the first few months settling in and getting an overview of the company. Take a deep breath, you can only do what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

You have the confidence of the CEO because they worked with you, that means that they have faith in you and know you are talented.
    If I was made CEO of a company in my industry tomorrow there are people I would hire that I've worked with in the past that I know are good and would preform well, some of them I would offer them bigger roles then they currently have because I think they have more potential.

Self doubt holds a lot of smart people back, this is why you see the likes of Trump. he's an idiot but he has so much self belief he's become president of America. I think it was Richard Branson that said say yes then figure out how to do it. Go for the job and give it your best shot, when you doubt yourself just think about Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I've worked at an executive level for quite a while.

Make sure you look like you belong in the role (nice suit, nice shoes, good grooming) and act confident. You will be seen as a leader so it's better to err on the side of arrogance rather than nervousness.

Executive roles are easier than non-executive roles. You'll be fine.

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

OMM 0000 wrote:
    Make sure you look like you belong in the role (nice suit, nice shoes, good grooming) and act confident. You will be seen as a leader so it's better to err on the side of arrogance rather than nervousness.

I actually think this is a major downfall at that level, arrogance, confidence, absolutely, arrogance, absolutely not, all employees should be confident at whatever level they are, and respected. We have created a level of narcissism in the work place, it's probably evident on all levels, but it is noticeable at higher levels. a confident leader is incredibly important, to keep the ship steady, and to make sure everyone is on the same page, it's no easy task though, us humans can be difficult to manage at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

You outperformed others. It'll be dandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

How many CEOs would risk hiring someone they don't think is up to the job?

His team also interviewed you so that he could get additional opinions.

If you can't rate yourself yet, try rating him....do you think he is has sound judgment? Is capable? Unlikely to make poor decisions etc?

You know you're good enough...a small bit of self doubt is no harm but don't let it cripple you.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I actually think this is a major downfall at that level, arrogance, confidence, absolutely, arrogance, absolutely not, all employees should be confident at whatever level they are, and respected. We have created a level of narcissism in the work place, it's probably evident on all levels, but it is noticeable at higher levels. a confident leader is incredibly important, to keep the ship steady, and to make sure everyone is on the same page, it's no easy task though, us humans can be difficult to manage at times.

So if you have a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being extremely nervous and 10 being extremely arrogant, you think it's better a leader is somewhere between 1 - 4?

I disagree.

My point, which I think you're disagreeing with although you may just be making a separate point, is visibly nervous leaders don't inspire confidence.

PK2008 wrote: »
    I would be responsible for restructuring the business.

Do you have any experience doing this?

Do you know how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

I believe "The Peter Principle" is a real thing.

Is your worry that you know this job is above your competence level? There's nothing wrong with that.

I think you should consider listening to your instincts. There's no point taking a job where you'll be in over your head and miserable. As they say, the grass isn't always greener!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Bit of a cliche....surround yourself with good people and listen to them.

Treat all the staff with respect and be polite.

Both of those things go a very long way.

Advertisement