Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on the TT Races

Options
  • 11-08-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I've had the TT Races on my bucket list for years but it always seemed to clash with someone's wedding or first communion etc

I was just wondering if anyone has booked for next year and if so how are you getting there? I wanted a long weekend but ferries are either leaving midweek or leaving 4am. Is it a case that ferries on the most suitable dates are now fully booked?

Also does anyone know of private charters which might be cheaper from around Carlingford/Kilkeel?

For accommodation we will hopefully camp so cant see that being an issue.

Failing that how does the Manx Grand Prix in August compare for atmosphere?

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

never been to the TT, but the manx gp is a lot more chilled out, with some truly spectacular racing, most of the big names, and some historic bikes thrown into the mix. Everything will be easier & cheaper - food, accomodation etc - with the manx.
    On the other hand, it's not the TT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

I live on the Isle of Man, the Manx Grand Prix is a great festival for the bikes but just doesn't have the atmosphere of the mighty TT. The TT attracts a lot more visitors which really adds to the experience. I hope you can make it over, I know early booking is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Thanks, yeah I suspected the Grand Prix hasn't the same atmosphere/ madness of the TT.

Found a few places that did boat charters for around €150rtn so think that'll be the way to go. Will contact them nearer the time as wouldn't bank on any business being around this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Booked accommodation through Air BnB for 12 of the lads and using Steam ferries.

I’d say they would be well booked out by now though.

Booked accommodation through Air BnB for 12 of the lads and using Steam ferries.

I’d say they would be well booked out by now though.

What are the ferry times like? Are you travelling midweek/early morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Old Gill wrote: »
    I've had the TT Races on my bucket list for years but it always seemed to clash with someone's wedding or first communion etc

I was just wondering if anyone has booked for next year and if so how are you getting there? I wanted a long weekend but ferries are either leaving midweek or leaving 4am. Is it a case that ferries on the most suitable dates are now fully booked?

Also does anyone know of private charters which might be cheaper from around Carlingford/Kilkeel?

For accommodation we will hopefully camp so cant see that being an issue.

Failing that how does the Manx Grand Prix in August compare for atmosphere?

Any info much appreciated

Manx GP would be a good 1st visit imho (btdt). There are no slow races on the IoM...............

Accomodation easier (ish) to find, but you still need to be thinking almost a year ahead as it is becoming bigger every year. Smaller crowds (but still sizeable) means easier to get around the island.

Timing of ferries to IoM is awful. Weird times & days, makes short trip almost impossible.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

galwaytt wrote: »
    Manx GP would be a good 1st visit imho (btdt). There are no slow races on the IoM...............

Accomodation easier (ish) to find, but you still need to be thinking almost a year ahead as it is becoming bigger every year. Smaller crowds (but still sizeable) means easier to get around the island.

Timing of ferries to IoM is awful. Weird times & days, makes short trip almost impossible.

The isle of man has currently closed borders, they have no cases of covid and there is no social distancing needed. Whether they allow the tt to take place might depend on cases in UK going very low or a viable vaccine/treatment being released.

I found something on Facebook a private charters boat from Ardglass for about €160rtn, I'd imagine crossing times will be better than the ferry so makes the weekend trip possible

Hopefully itll be running next year

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Old Gill wrote: »
    What are the ferry times like? Are you travelling midweek/early morning?

Dublin to IoM Sun the 30th at 1130 arriving 1450, returning Tues the 8th at 715

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Worth considering the Southern 100 too if you don't make the TT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement