Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir locked phone. Will GoMo SIM work?

Options
  • 01-08-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭

As above, thinking of buying phone locked to Eir.
    Will it accept GoMo SIM without unlocking ?
    It's a dual SIM phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Invincible wrote: »
    It's a dual SIM phone.

Unsure if this helps but here's a trick i recently tried out first hand after hearing a lot of rumours.

Upgraded my wife's phone to a Huawei P30 on eir, now i need a phone with a UK Sim for business i do in UK so i was keeping the handset for myself, it was locked to eir

First sim i put in it was the O2 UK sim and it automatically locked to that network, proving the theory correct that the first sim put in a locked handset will lock it to that network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

In theory it should work as both Eir and Gomo use same MNC.

AFAIK the only additional bar they could possibly use would be to restrict specific IMEIs that Eir provided to Gomo...it's doubtful that they would do that but who knows.

Any time this question was asked before on various threads, the consensus was that it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Invincible wrote: »

Yes. I know 2 people who have purchased Eir phones and used a GoMo sim card without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It will work.
    Infact most dual SIM phones are unlocked even when purchased from an operator.

I was using a Galaxy S9+ purchased from Virgin mobile with both an Eir & Vodafone SIM onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It will work.
    Infact most dual SIM phones are unlocked even when purchased from an operator.

I was using a Galaxy S9+ purchased from Virgin mobile with both an Eir & Vodafone SIM onboard.

It depends on how the phone is set up by the network.

All VM phones are unlocked anyway, according to their TV ad.

Other networks dual SIM phones may be restricted in some way, such as locking one slot...

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112084350&postcount=330

In the case of Gomo and Eir, they both use the same MNC (03) so Eir locked phones will accept a gomo SIM without unlocking.

Separately....Vodafone and Post mobile also use the same MNC (01), however, phones locked to either network are not necessarily compatible with a SIM from the other...

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056017519&page=2

...possibly because there is a a way of locking a SIM slot based on ICCID and / or IMEI in addition to the MNC value.

Advertisement