Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPW free entry to heritage sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

zell12 wrote: »
    Free admission to most OPW sites till year end
    https://www.heritageireland.ie/en/media/opw_heritage_sites_2020_07_22.pdf

Ten sites still have full/reduced charges

Thanks, but it would be nice if they include a note to state where each of the sites are. Some I haven't a clue but of course, I can Google them and hope there there's only one in the country (newbridge anyone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tandcapply wrote: »
    Thanks, but it would be nice if they include a note to state where each of the sites are. Some I haven't a clue but of course, I can Google them and hope there there's only one in the country (newbridge anyone?)
    Use the links at the top of the page https://www.heritageireland.ie/en/ to see what sites are where. Please enable Adobe Flash, as the site still uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tandcapply wrote: »

If you want to see Newbridge houses then theres thousands of them in Newbridge, Co.Kildare. If you want to see Newbridge House then its Donabate, Co.Dublin that you need . Hope that makes sense :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What are crowds like at sites due to the free entry? Is it worth going or will it be chock-a-block?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Is this offer still valid.... can only see an option to buy a heritage card at what appears to be full price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Is this offer still valid.... can only see an option to buy a heritage card at what appears to be full price

Yes: https://heritageireland.ie/visit/sites-with-free-or-reduced-admission/

Up to the end of 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cianaldo_

Does anyone know can you just show up to these sites and gain free entry or must you produce one of the heritage cards? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

cianaldo_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know can you just show up to these sites and gain free entry or must you produce one of the heritage cards? TIA

You need the card. It's what they've introduced so they dont have a complete loss of revenue. Card is 40 quid.

From the website: The Heritage Card gives you free admission to every OPW-run heritage site in the country for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

cianaldo_ wrote: »

I think they have waived all entry fees to any open OPW site, until the end of the year. You still have to book a ticket for the site, but its free. Its their way of staggering entrance times and not getting overcrowded.

Great way to get a day ou,t without costing an arm and a leg to get in.

www.heritageireland.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Went to Kilkenny Castle shortly after they announced this, and just had to book free tickets online for a time slot, and they just scanned the ticket QR code in my mobile phone, I didn't need to show any OPW membership as proof , which I don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

(1) all sites are free until the end of the year

(2) You don't need to have, or show, a heritage card

(3) Some sites require booking in advance - check their websites. This is to limit numbers. Popular sites may be fully booked at weekends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Went to Garnish Island the day the free entry was announced. No requirement to book in advance or to have a heritage card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Cameraman wrote: »
    (1) all sites are free until the end of the year

Not all....
    "charges will continue to apply at sites where access is managed by our community partners"
    Not having a go at yourself Cameraman, just putting it out there so people can check in advance before demanding free entry to some sites.
    Desmond Castle in Adare is one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Those lads in Adare think they own the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Not all....
    "charges will continue to apply at sites where access is managed by our community partners"
    Not having a go at yourself Cameraman, just putting it out there so people can check in advance before demanding free entry to some sites.
    Desmond Castle in Adare is one example.

Yes - good to always check the websites for any site before visiting - as, even if free, booking may be necessary.

I wasn't aware of the charges in some locations - it wasn't mentioned on any of the publicity/twitter/newspapers etc. - and I think wasn't on the original
    Heritage Ireland details (it is now).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

kuro2k wrote: »
    Went to Garnish Island the day the free entry was announced. No requirement to book in advance or to have a heritage card

what was the story with going to the Island - are you still stuck with only 90 minutes on the island and a one-way system?

Advertisement