Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Hotel Residents Bars allowed to remain open currently?

• 23-07-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this thread is in wrong area but I felt members of legal profession may know something of the current legality of hotel residents bars opening during the current Covid lockdown period.

Myself and a couple of friends are meeting up for an annual get together in a few weeks time.We booked accommodation in a well known Hotel in January .....pre Covid times.
    Will be having an evening meal in the hotel and would hope to have a few drinks at the same time.The person who arranged the weekend contacted the hotel last week to ask if the residents bar would be open ....and felt that they got a ‘nod and a wink’ type answer that if we were staying in the hotel and have had dinner we would be able to avail of the Residents bar.

We have all tried like the vast majority of Irish people to follow Govt advice throughout the Covid period and feel a little uncomfortable availing of the Residents bar if its the case that really it should not be serving iykwim.

Please move to a more appropriate forum Mods if there is one but I would have confidence that some posters here may be able to answer my query,

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Stayed in hotel last week and it was made clear that there was no residents bar and that only drinks could be ordered with the meal and we only had the allocated time . We had presumed as residents and staying etc would be able to have a drink socially distanced in foyer etc after dinner but it was definitely not allowed.

Although in saying this I have heard that it’s hit and miss and that some hotels are bending rules etc for guests . To be honest put us off and felt trip was a waste of time as once dinner was over at 9.30 it was a walk and then the room to watch tv . Would have been better off at home .

Maybe someone will be along to answer legal end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭flanna01

So... Let's examine the fact here...

You and the boys are going out on an annual knee's up correct??

I assume by the context of your question that you are long term buddies etc..?

So by staying overnight in a hotel, ye have obviously made some plans for your time together.. golfing, shopping, boozing, some other manly bonding sessions..??

If the above is correct, you will have been in close proximity to each other long before you settle down for the evening meal - Correct?

So realistically, why in the name of God could ye not have a few pints afterwards and regale each other with witty banter and good craic??

I think it's the height of stupidity to curtail a few bucks on the beer a timeline to be done and dusted on a night out... Shur they'll only go back to their hotel room and swill beer, play cards, whilst practically sat on top of each other...

Lads, enjoy the beer..! There's thousands of people entering the country from who knows where everyday... pity we are not as strict aout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

It is like everything else to do with this government, a total clusterf0ck

Mod
    This is a forum for legal discussion, not for crude remarks about the government nor anything else

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

IHF issued guidelines today that hotels can serve alcohol to tables in public areas pre/post meals but max time you can stay is 1 hour.

I personally can't name 2 hotels that seem to be following the same guidelines in regards to previous restrictions. Each seems to be doing their own thing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Apologies if this thread is in wrong area but I felt members of legal profession may know something of the current legality of hotel residents bars opening during the current Covid lockdown period.

Myself and a couple of friends are meeting up for an annual get together in a few weeks time.We booked accommodation in a well known Hotel in January .....pre Covid times.
    Will be having an evening meal in the hotel and would hope to have a few drinks at the same time.The person who arranged the weekend contacted the hotel last week to ask if the residents bar would be open ....and felt that they got a ‘nod and a wink’ type answer that if we were staying in the hotel and have had dinner we would be able to avail of the Residents bar.

We have all tried like the vast majority of Irish people to follow Govt advice throughout the Covid period and feel a little uncomfortable availing of the Residents bar if its the case that really it should not be serving iykwim.

Please move to a more appropriate forum Mods if there is one but I would have confidence that some posters here may be able to answer my query,

Thanks for any replies.

Current guidance is that a hotel bar as you describe should not be open.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: Just a reminder or the requirement to discuss the law here rather than political, ideological or other aspects.

It seems to me that there is room for interpretation of the law and that should make for our usual standard of scintillating legal analysis etc.

But it must be law and not fcuk the govt stuff you understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I stayed three nights at a hotel last week. I asked upon booking if the bar would be available and was told that it would be open for residents. Sure enough it was open and we had a few drinks in the bar each night but in saying that we were the only ones in it on two of the nights in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Stayed in a hotel on Mon in Dublin, enquired about residents bar. They said you can have pints only with a meal in the restaurant or through room service in your room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hotels can have a residents bar but as can be seen above, it is simply not economic to do so. The barman's wages will cost more than any profit which might be made on the drink. Add in the whole issue of deep cleaning and ppe etc
    and supervising social distancing if the are a number of groups and it is obvious why many hotels don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Just back from four nights away, four different hotels. four different counties.

1st night Waterford county: Hotel full to capacity; groups, couples, families. No issue whatsoever getting drinks before or after meal.

2nd hotel West Cork: Intentionally at 50% capacity; adhering to the guidelines. We eventually talked them into giving us a few drinks before the meal, but we had to sit outside & read menus. Had our meal and once bill was paid, further drinks were refused. There were inspected twice that week, or so they told us.

3rd hotel Kerry: Pre meal drinks by room service only. No issue with drinks after meal.

4th hotel Galway county: arrived just after lunchtime. Ordered a pint with a chowder (€8) from waitress; no issue. Mate joined us, ordered same from male server, refused as it was only €8, had to be something worth €9. Thereafter no issue with drinks after meal.

All appear to be putting different interpretations to the guidelines & differing levels of inspection & enforcement also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ignacius

If you want a residents bar, stay at home.
    Legally they will lose their liquor licence if they serve you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

As Healy Rae says last week..... you can’t have a drink in the foyer. But if you order a sandwich and a pint- you are automatically immune to catching covid in the foyer.

Farce of a rule in a hotel complex for residents

Advertisement