Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Office Shed

Options
  • 27-06-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Was considering building a home office out the back that would be both an office/hobby room for myself and then a partioned off area where we could move out the washing machine and tumble dryer.

Was looking at the steeltech shed range. Obviously they are nice but expensive. Was wondering had anyone any experience on something similar. I was looking at their home office packages and the difference in price between a home office and one of their own sheds of the same price is about 6K in places.

Has anyone just bought the shed and kitted it out themselves. Is it a big job to do.

Or does anyone have any other reccomendations for good home offices.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Completely different things tbh...

Sheds don't come with:
    - Insulation (both against heat and cold)
    - Ventilation of the type that would make is comfortable.
    - Electrics you need for a home office.
    - Windows!

Comes down to what you want to use if for? Workshop or Office work? If it's the latter you best get a proper office shed or it will be uncomfortable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Heffoman wrote: »
    Was considering building a home office out the back that would be both an office/hobby room for myself and then a partioned off area where we could move out the washing machine and tumble dryer.

Was looking at the steeltech shed range. Obviously they are nice but expensive. Was wondering had anyone any experience on something similar. I was looking at their home office packages and the difference in price between a home office and one of their own sheds of the same price is about 6K in places.

Has anyone just bought the shed and kitted it out themselves. Is it a big job to do.

Or does anyone have any other reccomendations for good home offices.

Many thanks.

https://www.steeltechsheds.ie/contact-us/waterford/

25mm kingspan board insulation.Is that good . Would they want to be heated all the time in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have a look at something like the pod factory, ready made and doesn’t require foundation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the shed doesnt come with most of those features but with the difference in price in a steeltech shed and office being approx 6K for the size I was looking at I was wondering could a builder bring it up to similar specs for far less than that price.

• Advertisement

They look fantastic.

Auny idea of the price though? I say they wont be cheap

Haha I d love that.

I d say they wouldnt be done on a budget though. Looking at the comments a conservative estimate is 15K sterling.

I wonder is there a guarantee on them. I know the steeltech sheds give you a 20 year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Heffoman wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the shed doesnt come with most of those features but with the difference in price in a steeltech shed and office being approx 6K for the size I was looking at I was wondering could a builder bring it up to similar specs for far less than that price.

You could convert a shed. But at the end of the day prebuilt sheds made in a factory tend to be cheaper then hiring a builder/carpenter, sparks etc. You also need to factor the longevity - getting a well made sealed unit vs something that lets damp in. If you were willing to only use it as a fair weather location and brought computers etc back in maybe you could get away with it?

Also you might buy second hand?

https://www.shedfactoryireland.ie/ie/log-cabins.html seem cheaper as well. You could add in insulation and electrics...

micosoft wrote: »
    You could convert a shed. But at the end of the day prebuilt sheds made in a factory tend to be cheaper then hiring a builder/carpenter, sparks etc. You also need to factor the longevity - getting a well made sealed unit vs something that lets damp in. If you were willing to only use it as a fair weather location and brought computers etc back in maybe you could get away with it?

Also you might buy second hand?

https://www.shedfactoryireland.ie/ie/log-cabins.html seem cheaper as well. You could add in insulation and electrics...

Thanks for the suggestion. The prices of the home offices there dont look overly great especially as you seem to have to build them yourself. Knowing me that would be a disaster.

Plus they mostly seem to be wood and not metal. I wonder what the shelf life on them will be.

Advertisement