Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2020, 19:05   #16
Ubbquittious

Uneventful. The weather was good which helped and I was glad to see the back of the place. There was talk of a reunion one time but there were too many quarrels between the ppl in my year so it was called off. Hate when I meet a teacher from back then and they start reminiscing and talking like we were all great friends then, simply wasn't the case and a good lot of them were making my life miserable with their backward oldschool ways
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 20:20   #17
McGinniesta

I had a serious horn for my french teacher. I was probably daydreaming about riding her.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 20:25   #18
cj maxx

Ditched the uniform and wore civies as was the plan but the others chickened out or mammy said no.
Headmaster then expelled me , with a smile and called me a rebel. I was after finishing my last exam. He was only taking the piss and saying goodbye in his own way
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 00:30   #19
take everything

I honestly can't remember my last day.
But i do remember the atmosphere in the last week or two.

A lot more relaxed, which felt a bit strange.
A lot of students staying at home.
Mixed with anxiety about exams.
30-06-2020, 00:44   #20
buried

Much like 97% of my time within the system as a whole, I don't remember much of it either. Formulaic nonsense will have a tendency to do that.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 00:50   #21
Richard Hillman

My year (which was a very troublesome year) were told the day before our supposed last day to not turn up to the school or the Garda will be called.
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 00:51   #22
I Am Nobody

I finished school in 1984,can't remember yesterday much less my last day of school.
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 08:54   #23
Kylta

Primary school was glad to see the back of it
The CB were akin to the spanish inquisition.
Secondary school was like rehabilitation but I was glad to see the back of both of them.
30-06-2020, 09:41   #24
razorblunt

Primary school? I just remember all the signed shirts and one fella saying "my Mam said not to get it signed" so naturally he was covered by lunchtime. I wrote my name and number like a football jersey on the back but it came through on the desk quite visibly. The teacher was cool about it though and said "don't worry that's another job for Tom (the caretaker) during the summer.

Secondary, was strange, you had the final day before the Leaving but the 6th years were always left out a week earlier than the rest of the school, then the final exam was Business I think so less than half of us sat that. We did have a Mass after that the final exam and we all went in town boozing on dodgy ids.
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 11:08   #25
Church on Tuesday

I don't remember Primary school last day, we certainly where not going around signing shirts anyways.

As for Secondary, a mix of relief, it was the last day of some LC exam which I was badly performing in, then the realization I would imagine one gets when released from prison and when you momentarily don't know what to do with yourself.

Last edited by Church on Tuesday; 30-06-2020 at 15:24.
30-06-2020, 11:14   #26
PFMC84

Primary school was the signed shirts and ripping the front pocket off other people's shirts for a joke. A few mothers weren't happy as they were hoping to reuse them for the first year of secondary school and save some cash!

Secondary school I just left one day and never went back. I was sick of the teachers, a lot of people in my year were w@nkers and I was regularly bullied and I just had enough and got up in the middle of a class and walked out and walked home and that was that. I don't really speak to anyone I knew in school, even the ones I was friendly with and that suits me just fine. Glad to be shot of them and Im much happier in life now.
30-06-2020, 11:25   #27
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
I'd like to say I remember, but I really don't. I recall people handing around their confirmation booklets to be signed, but there was a lot of, "Oh well, so long, won't ever see you again". That's about it.

Secondary school, definitely don't remember the last school day. I barely even went in for the last month or so.
After the last exam, loads of people were finished-finished on that day, but lots had an exam at 2pm. My last exam was at 9am, I was home by 11. We were in the process of moving house and my parents had already moved to the new house, so I went back to the old, mostly empty house, got changed, a couple of mates came over and we did a few shots of vodka before heading into to town to meet everyone else in the pub in the afternoon.
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 14:29   #28
The Tetrarch

I think it was the Leaving Cert Art exam.
For some stupid reason I put my name down for Art although we did not do Art.
That brain fart prolonged my school life by a day. Then I went home.
There were no graduations back then. I believe kindergarten children dress up in cloak and mortar boards now and graduate.
30-06-2020, 14:43   #29
leffesem

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
Primary school? I just remember all the signed shirts and one fella saying "my Mam said not to get it signed" so naturally he was covered by lunchtime. I wrote my name and number like a football jersey on the back but it came through on the desk quite visibly. The teacher was cool about it though and said "don't worry that's another job for Tom (the caretaker) during the summer.

Secondary, was strange, you had the final day before the Leaving but the 6th years were always left out a week earlier than the rest of the school, then the final exam was Business I think so less than half of us sat that. We did have a Mass after that the final exam and we all went in town boozing on dodgy ids.

????

6 years in your secondary school. Why the need for dodgy ids? Surely 95% or thereabouts would have been at least 18 at that stage. Or did ye not have the foresight to get current id's?
30-06-2020, 14:47   #30
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by leffesem View Post
????

6 years in your secondary school. Why the need for dodgy ids? Surely 95% or thereabouts would have been at least 18 at that stage. Or did ye not have the foresight to get current id's?
razorblunt showing off his age - there was a time that most secondary school was 5 years. 4th year was optional and most schools didn't even offer it up until 1994.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion