Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lassykk's SURLAW

Options
  • 07-06-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Hello,

And welcome to my SURLAW - LassykkVision.

I cannot describe how hard it has been to whittle this down to just 20 songs and I have been over and back so many time on so many songs

Shamefully copied:
    For the regulars who are familiar with Walrus, this is essentially the opposite, where the host picks the songs, and you lovely people in Forum Games rate them via PM.

Then the Reveal is very much like how the Eurovision results are done. The first two versions were hosted by LeVar and Necro excellently, so I have big shoes to fill

How It Will Work:
    -Below I've linked to a YouTube Playlist with the 20 Songs in contention and a Spotify playlist - One song is missing from Spotify as it's not on there so please listen to it on YouTube - JJ72 - October Swimmer - Song 20

-What you have to do, is just listen to them and figure out which 10 you like the best

-When you're ready Private Message a numbered list from 1-10 of your choices (with 1 being your favourite of the songs and 10 being your 10th favourite)

-First choices will earn 12 points, second 10 points, and third onwards 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points respectively (just like in Eurovision)

-Once I've closed sign ups and tallied up all the points, I'll do a reveal thread, going through how everyone ranked the songs and adding the points to the running total (again, just like Eurovision)

Why I Chose The Songs I Chose:
    I chose some of my absolute all time favourite bands but tried to avoid picking their most famous song as I think everyone would know them and the most enjoyable part to me of Le Var's and Necro's was to learn new songs I've never heard before!

It probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. Basically, listen to the songs here and then PM (that's Private Message for anyone joining us here for the first time) me your 10 favourites numbered 1 to 10 with 1 being your favourite.

Please send me a list of 10 songs ; it won't work if people just pick 6 or 7 and then decide they don't want any of the rest, so even if you're not crazy about all 10 songs you choose, go for 10 anyway

Here's the playlists :

Youtube

Spotify

Sign ups will be open for at least a couple of weeks to allow the max number of entrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Pearl Jam - Porch

Staind - So Far Away

Blink 182 - Feeling This

Guster - Happier

Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine

Lisa Loeb - Stay

Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water

Scott Stapp - The Great Divide

Bad Company - If You Needed Somebody

Tonic - You Wanted More

Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

Blue October - Fear

Seven Mary Three - Wait

Metallica - Hero of the Day

Semisonic - Closing Time

Incubus - Megalomaniac

Police - The King of Pain

Stone Sour - Imperfect

Silverchair - Tomorrow

Not on Spotify!JJ72 - October Swimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just from a quick look at the playlist, couple of songs I absolutely adore in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Nice collection of tracks there! I know many of em but don't know a good few as well so that gives great avenues of finding new music. Thanks!

I am not familiar with most of these, I know of some of the artists but not those particular songs. However of the few I do know there are two songs there I like and one song that I absolutely love, so that's a good start! :)

Will listen during the week and will try have scores sent by next weekend.

Lassykk SURLAW

Song Million Views
    Semisonic - Closing Time 89
    Blink 182 - Feeling This 57
    Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye 31
    Staind - So Far Away 30
    Lisa Loeb - Stay 13
    Blue October - Fear 12
    Metallica - Hero of the Day 8
    Incubus - Megalomaniac 8
    Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine 6
    Silverchair - Tomorrow 6
    Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water 5
    Police - The King of Pain 5
    Stone Sour - Imperfect 3.2
    Pearl Jam - Porch 3
    Bad Company - If You Needed Somebody 3
    Scott Stapp - The Great Divide 0.7
    Tonic - You Wanted More 0.6
    JJ72 - October Swimmer 0.3
    Guster - Happier 0.1
    Seven Mary Three - Wait 0.004

I thought it was very interesting when I opened the YouTube links for the songs I picked to see the number of views on each to see how "popular" they are. Hopefully a few songs in here that people have never heard of before!

I am not familiar with most of these, I know of some of the artists but not those particular songs.

That's what I was hoping for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

There is a song here i was considering entering into your walrus game, also a few songs i have never heard from artists i love

• Advertisement

Sawduck wrote: »
    There is a song here i was considering entering into your walrus game, also a few songs i have never heard from artists i love

Which one out of curiosity?

Hope you like the songs you don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

lassykk wrote: »
    Which one out of curiosity?

Hope you like the songs you don't know!

Semisonic - Closing Time, i was going to put it in the one hit wonder category,it's the only song from them i have ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Semisonic - Closing Time, i was going to put it in the one hit wonder category,it's the only song from them i have ever heard
    You haven't heard Secret Smile?

I was generous in my judging of one hit wonders so I would have allowed it. Secret smile was the first song of theirs I heard. Think closing time is infinitely better though

I also like

• Registered Users Posts: 85,121 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Justin Timberlake ruined it in Friends with Benefits

A nice interesting mix lassykk

I had great fun listening to these all evening. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Lassykk SURLAW

Song Million Views
    Semisonic - Closing Time 89
    Blink 182 - Feeling This 57
    Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye 31
    Staind - So Far Away 30
    Lisa Loeb - Stay 13
    Blue October - Fear 12
    Metallica - Hero of the Day 8
    Incubus - Megalomaniac 8
    Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine 6
    Silverchair - Tomorrow 6
    Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water 5
    Police - The King of Pain 5
    Stone Sour - Imperfect 3.2
    Pearl Jam - Porch 3
    Bad Company - If You Needed Somebody 3
    Scott Stapp - The Great Divide 0.7
    Tonic - You Wanted More 0.6
    JJ72 - October Swimmer 0.3
    Guster - Happier 0.1
    Seven Mary Three - Wait 0.004

I thought it was very interesting when I opened the YouTube links for the songs I picked to see the number of views on each to see how "popular" they are. Hopefully a few songs in here that people have never heard of before!

Just finished the first listen. I only knew 3 songs!! Something tells me it is unlikely we would bump into each other in a concert!! :)

After the first listen, 8 songs eliminated. 4 songs that are currently in the list for the 2 remaining eliminations.
    I pretty much know my number 1 - the one song in the list that I really love - and I possibly have my number 2 as well, although there are 2 songs that caught my attention and I think they will grow on me.

Based on the first 3 Surlaws, it appears that people really like their guitars, so when my turn comes get ready for lots of synthesizers and keyboards!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Only familiar with 4 songs, and before I listen to them I'm pretty sure I know which will get 12 points :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Looks interesting, a lot of stuff where I like the artists but havent heard the songs which is awesome:)

Will take a first listen this eve/tomorrow hopefully!!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Just finished the first listen. I only knew 3 songs!! Something tells me it is unlikely we would bump into each other in a concert!! :)

After the first listen, 8 songs eliminated. 4 songs that are currently in the list for the 2 remaining eliminations.
    I pretty much know my number 1 - the one song in the list that I really love - and I possibly have my number 2 as well, although there are 2 songs that caught my attention and I think they will grow on me.

Based on the first 3 Surlaws, it appears that people really like their guitars, so when my turn comes get ready for lots of synthesizers and keyboards!!! :D

Out of interest did you know most of the bands at least?

I'd say there's a good chance we won't cross paths so ;)

They'd be songs from my favourite genre but you'd be surprised what comes up on my playlists!

• Advertisement

Out of interest did you know most of the bands at least?

I'd say there's a good chance we won't cross paths so ;)

They'd be songs from my favourite genre but you'd be surprised what comes up on my playlists!

I knew 11 of them - in some cases I had heard of them but wouldn't know any of their songs.
    Interestingly enough though, the 2 growers I mentioned are from bands that I have never heard of - so 2 new bands in my radar, I'll take that!! :)

I knew 11 of them - in some cases I had heard of them but wouldn't know any of their songs.
    Interestingly enough though, the 2 growers I mentioned are from bands that I have never heard of - so 2 new bands in my radar, I'll take that!! :)

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the unknowns were

Staind - So Far Away
    Blue October - Fear
    Silverchair - Tomorrow
    Tonic - You Wanted More
    JJ72 - October Swimmer
    Guster - Happier
    Seven Mary Three - Wait

;)

A lot of those were ones I knew already. There's a good chance we've attended gigs together.

Two questions, did you live in Australia at some point and were you a teenager during or shortly after 90s?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My first (non-free, I also went to Party in the Park for my sins to see Girls Aloud etc) gig was in Smithfield with the Manics and JJ72 supporting.

Was amazing!

s1ippy wrote: »
    A lot of those were ones I knew already. There's a good chance we've attended gigs together.

Two questions, did you live in Australia at some point and were you a teenager during or shortly after 90s?!

I didn't ever live in Australia? Are the bands popular in Australia?

I was a teenager at the end of the 90s (born in 85) but my music taste would definitely be 90s/early 00s dominated for sure

My gig attendance is appalling I'm afraid

Staind (supporting Nickelback) in the RDS
    Pearl Jam in the 3 Arena / Milan
    RHCP in Croke Park
    Metallica/Avenged Sevenfold in Marley Park
    "Queen" in Marley Park

Others, I'm not willing to admit to that my OH dragged me along to ;)

Necro wrote: »
    My first (non-free, I also went to Party in the Park for my sins to see Girls Aloud etc) gig was in Smithfield with the Manics and JJ72 supporting.

Was amazing!

JJ72 are a hugely under-rated band - They had 3 absolutely cracking songs (Snow, Oxygen & October Swimmer) from their self titled album

Design for Life by the Manics only just missed the cut for this!

lassykk wrote:
    JJ72 are a hugely under-rated band - They had 3 absolutely cracking songs (Snow, Oxygen & October Swimmer) from their self titled album

Yeah my mate had the album and I.. ahem... made a copy of it :D

Still lying around the house somewhere I think.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the unknowns were

Staind - So Far Away

Blue October - Fear
    Silverchair - Tomorrow
    Tonic - You Wanted More
    JJ72 - October Swimmer
    Guster - Happier
    Seven Mary Three - Wait

;)

The bold ones + Stone Sour and Semisonic.
    I have never heard of Scott Stapp, but I have heard of his band Creed.
    Silverchair I remember the name, probably from my brief encounter with grunge, but don't know any of their songs.
    I know Indigo Girls: wouldn't be a big fan, but they have done a very nice cover version of I Don't wanna talk About it for the soundtrack of Philadelphia

Glad to see that I'm not alone in liking JJ72. Really impressed by what I heard and I will investigate them more.

• Advertisement

The bold ones + Stone Sour and Semisonic.
    I have never heard of Scott Stapp, but I have heard of his band Creed.
    Silverchair I remember the name, probably from my brief encounter with grunge, but don't know any of their songs.
    I know Indigo Girls: wouldn't be a big fan, but they have done a very nice cover version of I Don't wanna talk About it for the soundtrack of Philadelphia

That is a good cover alright :)

Stone Sour are an unbelievable band. I find it impossible to reconcile in my mind how someone can sing so well as Corey Taylor (lead singer of Stone Sour and Slipknot) and also do this:

Absolutely love their cover of Have You Ever Seen The Rain

Advertisement