Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold Radio - launching online 4 May 2020

Options
  • 03-05-2020 4:33pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A new radio station launches in Ireland on Monday morning with a host of well-known radio personalities part of the schedule.

Gold Radio’s line-up includes founder Mike Moloney (RTÉ 2FM, RTÉ Gold & Radio Nova), Chris Barry (FM104 & 98FM), Electric Eddie (RTÉ 2FM & Q102), Liam Quigley (98FM, Q102, RTÉ 2FM & Radio Nova), Mick Mulcahy (Cork’s 96FM & Red FM), Pat James (Radio Nova), Bob Conway (RTÉ 2FM, KFM & East Coast FM) and Dave Lyons (98FM, Classic Hits 4FM & DJ at Copper Face Jacks).

Station Manager, Mike Moloney, explains why now is a good time to launch a radio station: “When RTÉ announced that it was going to shut its entire digital service, including RTÉ Gold, I couldn’t believe it! Turns out I wasn’t the only one and out of that came the idea for Gold Radio.

“As the technology was easily available to everyone, we decided it was timely to launch Ireland’s first fully manned, digital-only, radio station. It’s going to be a fun station, playing music everyone knows, staffed by DJs who the listeners will remember, and all of them got involved to play the music they love and have a good time.

“That attitude led to the station’s motto: ‘Gold Radio – Playing the Good Stuff.

“The original idea was that all staff would be paid from the beginning, but Covid-19 put an end to that. The plan stalled for a while and then it was decided to go ahead anyway, with minimum funding, and at least get Gold Radio broadcasting. There was so much goodwill for the project that we found a load of presenters who were quite willing, at least for the moment, to go on air and work for nothing.

“Unlike most other stations these days, where presenters have to toe a company line and dare not adjust the computer playlist in front of them, our crew can happily change any track they don’t like that may appear on their playlist and say what they like, once it doesn’t get us sued! It’s that old-fashioned thing that we all grew up on – Personality Radio.

“Because of the times that are in it, we are not initially, going to go out looking for advertising, as such. We are going to pursue more of a sponsorship model. So, if you are an agency that would like to buy a radio station for a week, a month, a quarter etc – we’re the folks for you. You can get to us via hello@goldradio.ie and Alan is the man to look for.”

The station will be available on GoldRadio.ie from 8am Monday.

https://radiotoday.ie/2020/05/mike-moloney-to-launch-online-gold-radio-station/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Interesting development. It should be pointed out that this station already exists on the Radio Garden platform, including that tagline. I have listened to it a few times over the last month.

I had a look at the website. Lisa Gernon is also involved. Her radio experience includes: Limerick's Live 95, Spin South West, East Coast FM, 98FM and Radio Nova.

In the article, it mentions most of the presenters. I have added some more stations (in bold and italics) that they were involved with:
    Gold Radio’s line-up includes founder Mike Moloney (RTÉ 2FM, Lite FM, Dublin's Country 106.8, Ocean FM, RTÉ Gold & Radio Nova), Chris Barry (FM104 & 98FM and Dublin's Country Mix 106.8), Electric Eddie (RTÉ 2FM & Q102), Liam Quigley (Century Radio, 98FM, Q102 (Lite FM at the time), RTÉ 2FM & Radio Nova), Mick Mulcahy (Cork’s 96FM & Red FM), Pat James (Radio Nova), Bob Conway (RTÉ 2FM, Lite FM, Dublin's Country 106.8, KFM & East Coast FM) and Dave Lyons (98FM, Classic Hits 4FM & DJ at Copper Face Jacks).

Also: temporary licensed stations - Mike Maloney: Real Radio, Christmas FM, Chris Barry: 949 The Rock, Pat James: 949 The Rock and Zenith Classic Rock and Lisa Gernon: Christmas FM.

Many of them have years of pirate radio experience under their belt and at least one (Liam Quigley) has radio experience outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Needs some Dave Hunt!

Hope they have a winamp friendly format - I'm that old school and I trust Gold Radio is! :)

Enjoying it so far, mostly 80s stuff but not the usual 80s you hear everywhere else. The website doesn’t seem to be 100% working yet and the apps aren’t up either!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

It is very exciting news and I wish it every success going forward. It could run long side RTE Gold if they decide to keep it online.

There are a number of oldies-oriented stations already running on the Radio Garden platform, including a number of Irish operations. What will make this different from the other Irish ones is that it will have presenters.

• Advertisement

has anyone found the volume slider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

has anyone found the volume slider?

Just visited the website: https://goldradio.ie/ and was curious -
    After you Press the Play icon (with the arrow) you just bring the cursor/hand to the outer circle and it should let you choose the desired volume levels. Should work for you and display the volume number level and only seems to function once the audio content has been pressed to play beforehand.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far, mostly 80s stuff but not the usual 80s you hear everywhere else. The website doesn’t seem to be 100% working yet and the apps aren’t up either!

The website is not too bad although; it would benefit from further tweaking alright. It would give the station more personality if the following is completed:

(1) Provide and display visual facial images of it's station DJ/Presenters, (Should not be too costly addition given today's technological scene)
    (2) Include a Biography on each DJ/presenter across the station.
    (3) Add a Programme description/synopsis for each time slot in schedule. (RTÉ is not great at always providing detailed synopsis for some of it's content)

I'd like to hear a few more DJs in the station line-up, perhaps some from the below suggestions:

Jim O'Neill
    Mark Byrne
    Gerry Wilson
    Dave Heffernan
    Alf McCarthy
    Nails Mahoney/Brian McColl
    Dusty Rhodes

Just visited the website: https://goldradio.ie/ and was curious -
    After you Press the Play icon (with the arrow) you just bring the cursor/hand to the outer circle and it should let you choose the desired volume levels. Should work for you and display the volume number level and only seems to function once the audio content has been pressed to play beforehand.

Thanks What kind of genius came up with that! Did you tweak it by accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

So Pat James has two slots at the weekend...is it live or recorded..??

• Advertisement

Thanks What kind of genius came up with that! Did you tweak it by accident?

I've no idea - I used love technology when I was a teen and during my 20's (long passed that milestone) but when we upgraded to a Samsung HD Ready TV set 10 years ago I found it tricky working it out at first.

Some mobile phones can also be a challenge to work out as well and I would imagine there is a certain cohort of customers that may never become fully accustomed to using many features apart from the essential call/texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Piece on today's RTE Six-One TV news about the present situation causing an upsurge in new online radio stations as well as community station ROS FM in Roscommon having a Covid-Free Zone as well as church broadcasts.

However Gold Radio was not mentioned.
    The piece interviewed the founder of Co. Galway based internet radio station Lockdown radio

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/523878564958610/?t=52

Antenna wrote: »
    Piece on today's RTE Six-One TV news about the present situation causing an upsurge in new online radio stations as well as community station ROS FM in Roscommon having a Covid-Free Zone as well as church broadcasts.

However Gold Radio was not mentioned.
    The piece interviewed the founder of Co. Galway based internet radio station Lockdown radio

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/523878564958610/?t=52

RTÉ News probably does not wanna upset their colleagues working in RTÉ Gold given the whole uncertainty over this station's future (along with other RTÉ Digital-Only radio stations.

RTÉ Gold would be in direct competition with "Gold Radio" so; I would suspect it was no coincidence that they avoided referring to this new station called"Gold Radio" broadcasting online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Just tuned in a few minutes ago. Sounds like they're pulling an FM104/Atlantic 252 and playing the tracks at a slightly higher pitch. Puts me right off unfortunately, I don't want everything else to sound "slow".

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I’m enjoying the music but the audio leaves something to be desired .. maxed out limiting and a weird lift on the mids (to my ears anyway). Sounds like it was tweaked for AM .. looking forward to hearing more in the coming weeks though

Just listening to one song on both goldradio and youtube but can't spot a difference in speed, pitch, tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Just listening to one song on both goldradio and youtube but can't spot a difference in speed, pitch, tone.
    They're playing Losing My Religion by REM at the moment and I can definitely hear it. Played it on iTunes to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I think they would be better if they were on FM or dab.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they are definitely pitching songs, whether all or just some i don't know as the station wouldn't be my bag musically so i wouldn't be listening long enough to see, i just tuned in for a bit out of curiosity.
    personally i like stations doing that but i recognise it won't be to everyone's taste.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The station ran with what I think were live presenters or voice tracked anyway for the first three days but I've noticed since Thursday there have not been any???
    Hoping this station may get RTE to rethink their decision on RTE Gold.
    Am I being just a little too optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Was listening it to hear PJ off the record......but I don't think he'd be playing Easy Lover somehow....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Was listening it to hear PJ off the record......but I don't think he'd be playing Easy Lover somehow....:D

You are right there. I believe that Pat will not be part of the lineup for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Anyone know where they are based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

They seem to be having technical difficulties at the minute. Playing the same song living on a prayer by Bon Jovi on loop

Maz2016 wrote: »
    They seem to be having technical difficulties at the minute. Playing the same song living on a prayer by Bon Jovi on loop

Yes I see that, what could be possiblity wrong, there's always teething problems with something new and trying to get it right can be a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think the station has been fully automated for the past few days. I don't know, could be wrong but icould be because no one is there?
    Hopefully they get it sorted. I'll end up really hating living on a prayer!!

alzer100 wrote: »
    I think the station has been fully automated for the past few days. I don't know, could be wrong but I could be because no one is there?
    Hopefully they get it sorted. I'll end up really hating living on a prayer!!

Before it's official launch last Tuesday, Gold Radio had been available for a while on the Radio Garden platform in automated mode.... but not in a loop!

Before it's official launch last Tuesday, Gold Radio had been available for a while on the Radio Garden platform in automated mode.... but not in a loop!

Hopefully Gold Radio will be available on the Irish Radio Player soon, I don't see it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

I hear the sound of silence from their website now. As in, there isn't any music at all playing on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Tork wrote: »
    I hear the sound of silence from their website now. As in, there isn't any music at all playing on it.

Their not living on a prayer any more

Advertisement