Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aces High Reveal!

Options
  • 21-04-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

Kick-off tomorrow (Wednesday) sometime!

25 questions and your job is to give an ace for every question.

An ace is a correct answer which no one else gives. Only aces score, so if you don't give an ace-if one other person gives the same answer or 25 people give the same answer-you score nothing. That's right-ZERO.

A reminder of the questions...

NAME:

1. One of the 13 novels in the Lemony Snicket A Series Of Unfortunate Events series.
    2. One of the 18 opponents who were unable to defeat The Undertaker in a match during 'The Streak' at Wrestlemania.
    3. One of the 20 football clubs in the English Premier League season 2019-20.
    4. One of the 12 signs of the Zodiac (the western 'horoscope' ones, not Chinese animal version).
    5. A play written either fully or partly, and attributed, by general consensus, to William Shakespeare.
    6. One of the 32 Irish county capitals.
    7. One of the 27 James Bond movies.
    8. A Beatles A-side single to reach No. 1 in the UK official charts.
    9. One of the 26 songs to appear on the original release of Pink Floyd's The Wall studio album.
    10. A Wimbledon tennis tournament player, male or female, who played in the singles final from beginning of year 2000 to end of year 2019.
    11. A country to reach the final of the African Cup Of Nations football tournament (current name of country required).
    12. One of the 15 movies Quentin Tarantino has a credit on as writer, story originator and/or director, according to wiki.
    13. One of the 13 Inspector Morse novels written by Colin Dexter.
    14. An Iain Banks novel written under any name (no collections or novellas etc.).
    15. A current US State capital.
    16. A current capital city of a country that is a member of the 27 state European Union.
    17. A character that appears in more than one episode of the first season of The Simpsons, according to wiki.
    18. An English language feature length film directed by Alfred Hitchcock (no silent movies, French language, shorts etc.)
    19. One of the 12 disciples/apostles of Jesus Christ, according to the gospels of Luke & Matthew.
    20. A major Greek or Roman God or Goddess i.e. the 13 gods and goddesses most commonly considered to be one of the 12 Olympians or their Roman equivalent.
    21. An onscreen speaking character who appears in more than 10 episodes of Seinfeld.
    22. A song released by Kurt Cobain's Nirvana as a retail or promo single.
    23. A regular poster on Forum Games and/or Other Forum Games (at least 500 posts in these forums combined-or not combined. Not including Werewolf or D&D).
    24. A letter of the English alphabet.
    25. A studio album by Iron Maiden (no compilations etc.).

Players:

bolgbui41
    M.T. Cranium
    ShaneU
    Electric Nitwit
    wrestlemaniac
    lassykk
    Three More Big Sleeps
    Zaph
    Sheridan81
    bubblypop
    s1ippy
    Siobh73
    Homer J. Fong
    Ted_YNWA
    Necro
    sKeith
    sullivlo
    Sawduck
    Gru
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    cee jay
    Hello 2D Person Below
    Kolido
    Barney92
    davetherave
    the purple tin
    Irish Aris
    Collie D
    Green&Red
    Eefggfedccdeed
    Spook ie
    quickbeam
    aaronjennings
    Midnight_EG
    Strawberry Milkshake

See you tomorrow sometime for reveal!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Awh yeeeeah. First.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

That's very confident of you Sully! Before the first answer is even revealed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Checks to see if I entered

Yes I did

Wonder what I guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I could check my sent PM's, but where is the fun in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm absolutely certain that I don't remember a single answer I sent to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I decided this game needed a sheep assassin!
    I've gone for the most obvious answer I could think of each time and will laugh at anyone I catch and take out :pac:

Of course, that does mean I'm taking myself out too...

s6DfE2j.gif

With so many entries, I think Aces will be realllly hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's interesting as to strategy, do you choose a very well known example thinking everyone will pass it over as too obvious, or do you look for the one that is least known (to you at least) or one that is longer so takes more effort to type out?

No guaranteed aces either, I was thinking about probability of this number of people all choosing different state capitals, in theory everyone could have done so. Or nobody could have. My guess is that aces will come from that category, Shakespearean plays, and Irish county seats, just because there are more of them than most of the categories. A large number of selections will expand the probability of unique choices. If we had been asked to name any year from 1 AD to 2020, your chance of hitting the same one as a randomly selected other entrant would be 1/2,020. The chances that you would select a different year than 34 other people remains fairly high, in math terms, it is (2019 x 2018 x 2017 ... x 1986) / 2020^34 which works out to about 90%.

(in these examples, ^34 means "to the 34th power") ... you'll see that the terms being multiplied start from 2019/2020 and work down to 1986/2020 as your last opponent misses out on duplicating your choice or any other choice already made, so this is a test of both your getting an ace and everyone else getting one)

Did you know that the number of people required to reach the 50-50 probability that two will share a birthday is only 24? Many would imagine it would be 182 or some such number. The math on that is the same as my example above, (365 x 364 x 363 x ... 342) / 366^24. And that works out close to 0.50.

The chances of 35 people managing an ace with ten choices is quite low. If we assume the choices are really random (like songs by somebody you are not familiar with) then for an ace to occur, the lucky person has to dodge the 1/10 chance that 34 other people will choose that selection. For that to happen, each has to take the 9/10 chance of not selecting your choice. Then you multiply 9/10 by itself 34 times. The result of that is the same as .81 to the 17th power, or .6561 to the 8th power times 0.81, or getting more approximate, .4 to the 4th power times 0.81, which is .0256 x 0.81 or about .021, one chance in 49 that you'll have an ace there. That doesn't rule out that a second person could have a different ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's interesting as to strategy, do you choose a very well known example thinking everyone will pass it over as too obvious, or do you look for the one that is least known (to you at least) or one that is longer so takes more effort to type out?

That was my cunning plan ;)
    The fatal flaw is that if even one other player used it as well it falls flat :(

As I am usually hopeless at any form of Sheep / Peehs / Heeps no matter what strategy I choose, I put my answers for this in the hands of the gods. For each answer, I found all possible answers and used a random generator to pick the one to enter. That sometimes gave me an obvious answer, but maybe everyone else were avoiding those, and sometimes gave me an obscure answer that maybe nobody else would pick.

Wooden spoon, here I come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That was my cunning plan ;)
    The fatal flaw is that if even one other player used it as well it falls flat :(
    I decided this game needed a sheep assassin!
    I've gone for the most obvious answer I could think of each time and will laugh at anyone I catch and take out :pac:

Of course, that does mean I'm taking myself out too...

s6DfE2j.gif

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

No guaranteed aces either, I was thinking about probability of this number of people all choosing different state capitals, in theory everyone could have done so. Or nobody could have. My guess is that aces will come from that category, Shakespearean plays, and Irish county seats, just because there are more of them than most of the categories. A large number of selections will expand the probability of unique choices. If we had been asked to name any year from 1 AD to 2020, your chance of hitting the same one as a randomly selected other entrant would be 1/2,020. The chances that you would select a different year than 34 other people remains fairly high, in math terms, it is (2019 x 2018 x 2017 ... x 1986) / 2020^34 which works out to about 90%.

(in these examples, ^34 means "to the 34th power") ... you'll see that the terms being multiplied start from 2019/2020 and work down to 1986/2020 as your last opponent misses out on duplicating your choice or any other choice already made, so this is a test of both your getting an ace and everyone else getting one)

Did you know that the number of people required to reach the 50-50 probability that two will share a birthday is only 24? Many would imagine it would be 182 or some such number. The math on that is the same as my example above, (365 x 364 x 363 x ... 342) / 366^24. And that works out close to 0.50.

The chances of 35 people managing an ace with ten choices is quite low. If we assume the choices are really random (like songs by somebody you are not familiar with) then for an ace to occur, the lucky person has to dodge the 1/10 chance that 34 other people will choose that selection. For that to happen, each has to take the 9/10 chance of not selecting your choice. Then you multiply 9/10 by itself 34 times. The result of that is the same as .81 to the 17th power, or .6561 to the 8th power times 0.81, or getting more approximate, .4 to the 4th power times 0.81, which is .0256 x 0.81 or about .021, one chance in 49 that you'll have an ace there. That doesn't rule out that a second person could have a different ace.

Wow.

Just wow.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

"or one that is longer so takes more effort to type out?"
    I started out on this strategy then got fed up of it myself, am I the only one?? Some hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Nope, these games cause you to second & triple guess what to do.

Great movie, great books.

carrey-1.jpg?w968h681

Let me know if you spot any mistakes.

1. One of the 13 novels in the Lemony Snicket A Series Of Unfortunate Events series.

THE ERSATZ ELEVATOR
    Irish Aris
    Collie D
    Barney92
    lassykk
    Three More Big Sleeps
    Sheridan81

THE MISERABLE MILL
    Spook ie
    Ted_YNWA
    Necro
    Sawduck

THE BAD BEGINNING
    Electric Nitwit
    bolgbui41
    s1ippy
    the purple tin

THE REPTILE ROOM
    cee jay
    wrestlemaniac
    quickbeam
    Gru

THE VILE VILLAGE
    Homer J. Fong
    sKeith

THE HOSTILE HOSPITAL
    davetherave
    sullivlo
    Zaph

THE WIDE WINDOW
    Eefggfedccdeed
    M.T. Cranium
    Hello 2D Person Below

THE SLIPPERY SLOPE
    Green&Red
    ShaneU
    aaronjennings

THE AUSTERE ACADEMY
    Midnight_EG
    Strawberry Milkshake

THE CARNIVOROUS CARNIVAL
    Siobh73
    Kolido

THE END
    bubblypop

Not chosen: The Grim Grotto, The Penultimate Peril.

Leaderboard.

Name
    Score
    Bubblypop

I love this game. :D

Damn you, randomator!!!

I read all those books. Excellent, but I wasn't thrilled with the denouement. I'm not sure I fully understood the ending.

• Advertisement

Better than Harry Potter.

FVlt-s2Z1_ebXOMs0UYfGG4dEVnvwiAUC9baV7Dm_Xxn7HgYnP3dzSdAmXG27omYoMRO-cQtmP5QLRR1YSeiE8oZXVzJ8uYYhU9UJ2enm5J3i-yMnecn-YmH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm liking my chances with M as the capital of Michigan. /jk

2. One of the 18 opponents who were unable to defeat The Undertaker in a match during 'The Streak' at Wrestlemania.

MARK HENRY
    s1ippy
    M.T. Cranium
    Strawberry Milkshake
    sullivlo
    Necro

TRIPLE H
    Electric Nitwit
    the purple tin
    Ted_YNWA
    sKeith

RANDY ORTON
    Siobh73
    Homer J. Fong
    Barney92
    Spook ie

BIG BOSS MAN
    bubblypop
    wrestlemaniac
    lassykk
    quickbeam

SHAWN MICHAELS
    Kolido
    cee jay
    Hello 2D Person Below

KANE
    Irish Aris
    Three More Big Sleeps
    Sheridan81

CM PUNK
    aaronjennings
    Sawduck

RIC FLAIR
    Eefggfedccdeed
    Midnight_EG

BATISTA
    Zaph
    Green&Red

KING KONG BUNDY

EDGE
    Gru

A-TRAIN
    Collie D

DIESEL
    davetherave

JAKE 'THE SNAKE' ROBERTS
    bolgbui41

BIG SHOW
    ShaneU

Not chosen: Jimmy Snuka, Giant Gonzalez, Sycho Sid

We now have seven players on 1 point!

1 point each:

bubblypop
    Gru
    Collie D
    davetherave
    bolgbui41
    ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The scores are low, but the stakes have never been higher...

giphy.gif

3. Where did Ian Wright begin his professional career?

3. One of the 20 football clubs in the English Premier League season 2019-20.

CRYSTAL PALACE
    aaronjennings
    Strawberry Milkshake
    quickbeam
    Sheridan81
    Collie D
    ShaneU
    Sawduck
    bubblypop

ARSENAL
    Barney92
    Irish Aris
    Necro

CHELSEA
    Kolido
    Ted_YNWA
    Eefggfedccdeed

LIVERPOOL
    Electric Nitwit
    cee jay
    Hello 2D Person Below

BRIGHTON
    M.T. Cranium
    Homer J. Fong
    Gru

MAN CITY
    the purple tin
    sKeith

BOURNEMOUTH
    bolgbui41
    Green&Red

WOLVES
    Siobh73
    Spook ie

BURNLEY
    lassykk

WATFORD
    wrestlemaniac
    Zaph

SOUTHAMPTON
    davetherave

NEWCASTLE
    Midnight_EG

ASTON VILLA
    sullivlo

SPURS
    s1ippy

NORWICH
    Three More Big Sleeps

Not chosen: Man Utd, Leicester City, Everton, Sheff Utd, West Ham

2 points:

davethrave

1 point:

bubblypop
    Gru
    Collie D
    bolgbui41
    Midnight_EG
    sullivlo
    s1ippy
    Three More Big Sleeps
    ShaneU

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Is there a prize for getting all zeroes? Asking for a friend.

• Advertisement

4. One of the 12 signs of the Zodiac (the western 'horoscope' ones, not Chinese animal version).

LEO
    bolgbui41
    Electric Nitwit
    Three More Big Sleeps
    Ted_YNWA
    bubblypop
    Zaph
    the purple tin

PISCES
    aaronjennings
    quickbeam
    Spook ie