Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pandemic payment applications getting priority over JSB/JSA applications?

Options
  • 15-04-2020 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing on here that pandemic payments are being processed in 3 days. I was made redundant in March and my JSB application is still only showing as submitted. It's bad enough that I'll only get 203 instead of 350. Not entitled to pandemic payment as my job going was not related to the virus.

Seems dreadfully unfair on a number of levels. Anyone know what waiting period should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Caranica wrote: »
    Seeing on here that pandemic payments are being processed in 3 days. I was made redundant in March and my JSB application is still only showing as submitted. It's bad enough that I'll only get 203 instead of 350. Not entitled to pandemic payment as my job going was not related to the virus.

Seems dreadfully unfair on a number of levels. Anyone know what waiting period should be?

If you have no income coming into your home then you can apply to the CWO for an SWA and you’ll be seen immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

I'm in the same boat. A regular JSB application made in march and not a peep since.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Did you apply online? And if so, have you verified your MyGov account properly?

Just checking because someone I know was waiting ages for word and then found out he had to get a code sent in the post to verify his account and have the claim processed fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

De Danann wrote: »
    Did you apply online? And if so, have you verified your MyGov account properly?

Just checking because someone I know was waiting ages for word and then found out he had to get a code sent in the post to verify his account and have the claim processed fully.

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

I applied nearly 2 weeks ago with no word. My account is not verified and it seems the only way of getting a verified account is by having a Public Services Card? But it's very cyclical as you need to set up a meeting to get one and their website says they are not accepting appointments right now with the pandemic. Catch 22! Will I get anywhere with my unverified application?

• Advertisement

Whitters22 wrote: »
    I applied nearly 2 weeks ago with no word. My account is not verified and it seems the only way of getting a verified account is by having a Public Services Card? But it's very cyclical as you need to set up a meeting to get one and their website says they are not accepting appointments right now with the pandemic. Catch 22! Will I get anywhere with my unverified application?

Give them a call and see what they say?

As soon as I found out about redundancy I made an appointment for a PSC card, and as soon as that came I verified the account. Had no idea what was coming down the line with the virus, I just saw it as something I could do while I was still working to help prepare in case I didn't get work straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Its an absolute joke. You are entitled to €203 (let go in March) and Covid related payment recipients (also let go in March) are entitled to €350 (supposedly for 6 weeks but it will no doubt be extended indefinitely).

The basis for the extra amount is those getting JSB have had time to avail of the raft of additional benefits whereas those applying for Covid payment would not have had time for this. People presume everyone qualifies for these but its just not the case.

Your case shows up the actual farce that you suposedly had time to avail of these "extras" but your actual JSB claim itself is still pending.

Its going to be interesting times seeing all these recipients being cut from 350 to 203euro and the reaction it causes.

But I fully expect one section of society to be entitled to €350 indefinitely whilst another co-hort seen as scroungers (despite the fact JSB is only due to tax contribution) have to make do with €203 for same time period until it runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Whilst 350/week is more than the Jobseekers rate for a single person, it is not more for a sole income earner with a spouse/partner and at least one child. A couple with two children receive 377.70 max on Jobseekers, and will receive no more on COVID payment, unless both parents work (in which case they can each claim the 350).

My local TD is looking into the delays for me. There's only so many copy and paste emails from DEASP anyone can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

I finally got hold of someone who seemed to know what they were talking about in my local Intreo office. They said there is a huge backlog in online applications.

They advised applying locally at the Intreo office. Apparently they will be able to back date it to the original online application and right now that's the quickest approach to getting the claim processed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

I applied on 20 March for JSA and have still heard nothing. Ive sent a few emails but got generic or no response.

There are definitely issues with the Covid payment which arent getting much attention. I was due to start a new job in March which was postponed indefinitetly without pay and because I wasnt working at all in March I wasn't entitled to the Covid payment. Also as Im only 24 I wont get full JSA and dont have enough contributions in 2018 to get JSB. Its a disaster. Emailed the department and several TDs but got fairly generic responses. As this is only effecting a minority little will be done.

If you were entitled to it you’d have it by now.
    If you don’t meet these conditions:

To qualify for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you must:

Be aged between 18 and 66
    Live in the Republic of Ireland
    Have been in employment or self-employment immediately before Friday 13 March 2020. If you work shifts, short time or other atypical work patterns you must have been in employment on or after 6 March 2020.
    Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the COVID-19 public health emergency
    Be self-employed and your trading income has ceased due to the COVID-19 public health emergency. You do not need to de-register as self-employed to get a payment.

Then you’re not eligible.

This thread isn't about the Covid payment, it's about those of us waiting for JSB/JSA having to wait months for our applications to be processed while people who apply for Covid payment not only get more money but have their applications processed in days.

This thread isn't about the Covid payment, it's about those of us waiting for JSB/JSA having to wait months for our applications to be processed while people who apply for Covid payment not only get more money but have their applications processed in days.

Sorry. I’m posting when tired and didn’t read the post properly.

The emergency payment is also worth an extra €150 because those applying for JSA/JSB have access to a raft of more payment too apparently, this is the line being spun.

Total farce really, when its taking them so long to process those seeking JSA/JSB now.

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    The emergency payment is also worth an extra €150 because those applying for JSA/JSB have access to a raft of more payment too apparently, this is the line being spun.

Total farce really, when its taking them so long to process those seeking JSA/JSB now.

From around 12 March for 10 days or so 100,000s of people were suddenly out of the blue told that they no longer had a job, no notice nothing.
    This is not the same as someone’s contract coming to an end or being given a months notice etc.
    In those cases mostly you know that you are soon to be without any income and can plan for that.
    The government had to do something for these people very quickly in an emergency. So they invented the PUP. It was a one page application really simple but lots of people filled it with mistakes. Lots of people who weren’t entitled to it applied for it. All of these applications still had to be processed.
    No extra staff were brought in to process the applications.
    Then applicants with children had to fill in a JSB form as well as the €350 was less then they would ordinarily be entitled to.
    All those applications had to be processed too.
    If you had or have an application for JSB/A in and you have no/very little other income then have you applied to the CWO for an SWA? You’ll be heard immediately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I applied on the 30th after waiting for my PSC to arrive and get verified. I was able to get an appointment just before the Intreo centres closed down. When I was in for my PSC appointment I asked was I best off waiting to get my PSC and apply online, they said yes, save having to come back for a meeting, dropping the form in or the likes (this was pre-centres being closed).

Anyway, not a peep from my online application. I rang my local centre and they can't see active applications on their end apparently, only if you've been approved or denied. She rang me back after a bit of digging and said to consider my application lost in the system, and she posted me out a paper form. To be fair to them they've been helpful, but I'm just raging I didn't pick up the bloody paper forms on 16th March when I was in there and go the old fashioned route :rolleyes:

If anyone needs advice I'd say call or email your local centre and not the national contacts. **** time to be made redundant, eh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

How long have people here been waiting for Jobseekers Benefit applications to come through?

My absolute airhead of a partner went to the Intreo centre and posted the JB application in the postbox provided by the onsite assistant, but posted the employee application and the employer declaration application in two separate envelopes. No idea why.

Now I'm concerned that 2 different intreo officers will process the two different forms, both thinking that the other form is missing, and they won't be cross-matched, thus causing even more delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Ah I thought it was just me.

I came back from travelling on the 21st of March after leaving my job voluntarily a few months before.

I didn't have the Public Services Card nor a verified account but I applied online on the 22nd. But after a few weeks I heard nothing so I emailed the website support and the general welfare office again nothing from them so I contracted my local Intreo office and they didn't have any record of me applying and they emailed the online team and told me if I didn't hear anything in a few days to apply using the paper form (which they sent out to me as I didn't have a printer).

They also told me if I didn't verify my identity at the Intreo office that payments would have to be collected at the post office and I really don't like carrying cash around with me and KBC don't have any places near me where I can lodge it. So I went into the Intreo office on Tues and today (Thurs) I got a letter saying my application has been approved with the first payment being made tomorrow.

My online application still has a status of 'Submitted' :rolleyes:

Twee. wrote: »
    I applied on the 30th after waiting for my PSC to arrive and get verified. I was able to get an appointment just before the Intreo centres closed down. When I was in for my PSC appointment I asked was I best off waiting to get my PSC and apply online, they said yes, save having to come back for a meeting, dropping the form in or the likes (this was pre-centres being closed).

Anyway, not a peep from my online application. I rang my local centre and they can't see active applications on their end apparently, only if you've been approved or denied. She rang me back after a bit of digging and said to consider my application lost in the system, and she posted me out a paper form. To be fair to them they've been helpful, but I'm just raging I didn't pick up the bloody paper forms on 16th March when I was in there and go the old fashioned route :rolleyes:

If anyone needs advice I'd say call or email your local centre and not the national contacts. **** time to be made redundant, eh :(

My TD came back to me today with the same thing. DEASP have no record of my application, huge online delay. Going to raise it with Party spokesperson.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a recurring issue so! I dropped off my form today, they have a wee postbox at my local centre, and the box was pretty full with forms with what I could see.

My TD came back to me today with the same thing. DEASP have no record of my application, huge online delay. Going to raise it with Party spokesperson.

What do you think your TD is going to do for you?My 23 year old niece put in a JSB claim on line 12 days ago. Heard nothing. Rang local office on Monday to be told that the online application process has collapsed.
    She made a manual application on Tuesday hand delivered it to the local SW post box and got a decision today.
    The online JSB application was hurriedly pushed through and it was never going to work.
    For very good reasons applications for JSB are made in person and collected in the PO in person.
    Your TD can’t help you.

splinter65 wrote: »
    What do you think your TD is going to do for you?My 23 year old niece put in a JSB claim on line 12 days ago. Heard nothing. Rang local office on Monday to be told that the online application process has collapsed.
    She made a manual application on Tuesday hand delivered it to the local SW post box and got a decision today.
    The online JSB application was hurriedly pushed through and it was never going to work.
    For very good reasons applications for JSB are made in person and collected in the PO in person.
    Your TD can’t help you.

JSB applications should be swift over the phone with some online portal to upload the requisite details on an e-form, they are linked to your tax contribution. No reason it shouldn't be straightforward.

JSA on the other hand is means tested, and in this instance the correct documentation and answered questions are needed, absolutely.

But one thing im seeing during this crisis is how people just lump them all in together.

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    JSB applications should be swift over the phone with some online portal to upload the requisite details on an e-form, they are linked to your tax contribution. No reason it shouldn't be straightforward.

JSA on the other hand is means tested, and in this instance the correct documentation and answered questions are needed, absolutely.

But one thing im seeing during this crisis is how people just lump them all in together.

SW payments are not linked to tax paid. They are linked to PRSI CONTRIBUTIONS, an entirely different scheme
    JSB/JSA both require the applicant to present themselves in person at the SW office. If it was possible to apply over the telephone then anyone with a PPSN could apply from anywhere in the world. That’s why it’s not straightforward.
    There are more conditions to JSB then just PRSI contributions. You must be first and foremost looking for and available for full time work. You must have suffered a loss of employment. In order to apply you must show proof of ID and proof of your address.
    If you can’t present yourself initially at the nearest office and then weekly at the PO then it would be open to even more widespread abuse then it already suffers.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Your TD can’t help you.

I asked them to find out the status of my application. Wasn't expecting anything else, no need to jump down my throat. I've been sick for 4 weeks so applying any way other than online wasn't an option.

I asked them to find out the status of my application. Wasn't expecting anything else, no need to jump down my throat. I've been sick for 4 weeks so applying any way other than online wasn't an option.

If you’re sick then you’re not fit for work so disqaulified from JSB. You need to apply for Illness Benefit.

Just to update, my paper application was approved today and will be paid on Thursday. Success at last!

Just to update, my paper application was approved today and will be paid on Thursday. Success at last!

Was that for JSA or JSB?

And were you approved through mygov, text, or e-mail?

Jobseekers Benefit. The notification letter was available to download from MyWelfare account.

• Advertisement

Jobseekers Benefit. The notification letter was available to download from MyWelfare account.

I see. My partner also submitted their Jobseekers Benefit form on 23rd April same day as you, which is why I was keeping track of your process too.

My partner hasn't been approved yet, but this morning they've been sent a Jobseekers Allowance form to complete instead.

Maybe Intreo believe my partner will benefit more from JSA rather than JSB although I can't see the differences except for JSB is PRSI related and JSA is means tested.

Fair play to Intreo for getting through so many applications so quickly.

Advertisement