Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House During Covid Lockdown

Options
  • 01-04-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience in moving house during the current lockdown? We were supposed to move on the 10th of April to another rented house.

We're currently paying over €1400 a month for our own place, but were going to be moving to a house share with one other person, which would have cost us €750. Obviously, given the big difference in price, we were very eager to move.

The new tenant with whom we were going to be living with has also lost his job, so it wouldn't be affordable for him to keep his house either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

My gut reaction would be: No, you might be stuck where you are.

My gut says your best answer might be to Telephone your local Gardai, NOT 999
    Google for your local area name and 'garda station phone', that looks to have good results.

The Government guidelines doesn't have moving into a new place on the exceptions list:
    List of essential service providers under new public health guidelines
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/
    The government has decided that everyone should stay at home until 12 April 2020, except for the following situations:
    • to travel to and from work, or for purposes of work, only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service and cannot be done from home
    • to shop for essential food, beverage and household goods or collect a meal
    • to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    • for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people
    • to take brief individual physical exercise within 2 kilometres of your home, which may include children from your household, as long as you adhere to strict 2 metre physical distancing
    • for farming purposes, that is food production or care of animals

There was discussion about rental viewings on this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058064736

This post was included:
    This is the interpretation I had understood as well. Unfortunately everything on hold for the next two weeks unless virtual viewings can be arranged. No move ins allowed as well.

The idea seems to be best described in Grahams interpretation:
    Graham wrote: »
    My 30 second layman interpretation is slightly different Slydice.

My interpretation is the emergency period essentially stops the clock and no new notices to be issued during the emergency period.

E.g. if you had 5 weeks of a notice period remaining at the start of the emergency period. You will now have 5 weeks remaining from when the emergency period ends.

The info on the citizens information page linked on it might/might not be useful for your situation:
    Tenants and rent
    Emergency measures were announced on 19 March 2020 to protect tenants impacted by COVID-19. These are:
    • A moratorium on notices to leave rental accommodation and a moratorium on rent increases for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic
    • An increase in the notice period for tenancies of less than six months from 28 to 90 days

These provisions are set out in the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Covid-19) Bill 2020 (pdf).

While tenants are expected to pay rent during the COVID-19 pandemic, income supports and Rent Supplement are available to you if you are struggling to pay. These supports are provided by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. Any rent arrears built up will be payable, but landlords have been asked to show understanding and reach local arrangements in these circumstances.

If you are a tenant and you will have problems with your rent payments as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you should engage as soon as possible with your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Forgot the link!
    Slydice wrote: »
    The info on the citizens information page linked on it might/might not be useful for your situation:

Here it is:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19_overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,959 ✭✭✭✭Stark

To be fair, they're reasonable people. I'm sure they'll have no problem facilitating someone who has to travel due to a house move situation and is not simply out for a jolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I'm in the process of moving, we moved a lot of stuff over the last few days without any issues.
    The very first run we did on Sunday (Me in my car & my partner in his) there was a checkpoint just as we were heading on to the M50.
    The Garda was very pleasant, he seen all the stuff piled in the car, asked if I was moving house & when I told him that we were trying to get it done before things got any worse he said not to worry, to go on & do what we need to do & good luck.

When you are moving, Id advise you to go alone... don't have two in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Just finished moving myself. All last weekend I was taking boxes on a trolley between my old and new apartments and never once was I stopped. Every time I went out I spotted at least one other person with a suitcase so clearly I was not the only person doing the same thing.

Pretty sure this was bending the rules though and my working assumption is that things will be tightened up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement