Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redeployment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

I would need to know where we would be deployed to and doing what, how much training etc would be provided. As it is, we are kept busy with online teaching. My contract runs out in August, not sure if I have a position next year - I don't want to be put in a postition where I end up been sick for weeks/months, and unable to search for a job in September.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary - spent a lot of time checking/ correcting work today as well as answering queries . Being immune-comprised , I’d need to be given “ work at home” materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Ah I just posted about this on another thread! Should have checked if someone had opened a new thread first! I haven't heard anything about this from school, I just came across the article on Twitter.

I'm absolutely willing to do whatever is asked of me. I wonder what happens to my classes though? Particularly my exam classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Ah I just posted about this on another thread! Should have checked if someone had opened a new thread first! I haven't heard anything about this from school, I just came across the article on Twitter.

I'm absolutely willing to do whatever is asked of me. I wonder what happens to my classes though? Particularly my exam classes.

It depends on what you are doing. The SNAs are obviously going to be first in line as they are not currently supporting pupils. After that it will be SET teachers. I know in a friends school they have been doing absolutely nothing the past few weeks and today suddenly have started jumping into classroom teachers online classes doing 'co-teaching'. Classroom teachers will be exempt. I am talking about primary sector but imagine most schools the same, primary and secondary. And in primary Walking Principals and walking deputies are fairly idle apart from schools with meals programs

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

I’m an SNA in a Primary school. Heard the possiblity of this from Forsa last Week. I’m willing to do my bit to help out but I am concerned where it will have to be done. I live 35 miles from the nearest large town. My laptop stopped working with the Windows 10 update and it won’t do a thing. If I’m provided with a laptop then no bother doing from home or going into school to work from there.
    My friend said her cousin who is a Social Worker is being sent for Swabbing training this week. Would really hope it’s not work like this with two young kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I have significant lab experience in the type of testing that they are doing on covid19 samples. I don’t have a medical scientist qualification, but I do have PhD and postdoc experience in them, so I have contacted the relevant people to volunteer my services, if required. I am currently teaching from home, but happy to juggle things if needed or do evenings/weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

readysetgo wrote: »
    It depends on what you are doing. The SNAs are obviously going to be first in line as they are not currently supporting pupils. After that it will be SET teachers. I know in a friends school they have been doing absolutely nothing the past few weeks and today suddenly have started jumping into classroom teachers online classes doing 'co-teaching'. Classroom teachers will be exempt. I am talking about primary sector but imagine most schools the same, primary and secondary. And in primary Walking Principals and walking deputies are fairly idle apart from schools with meals programs

Sorry, but I'm really annoyed by that post. As a SET teacher in a secondary school - I have been flat out as normal supporting students in their learning as well as providing differentiated lessons and activities for those co-teaching classes. I have also been working with and supporting parents of those students who are doing Level 2 Learning Programmes; making sure we are continuing work on their folders.

For you to make a sweeping comment like regarding SET teachers is completely demoralizing. In my opinion - people who make those comments about SET teachers are on par with those from the anti-teacher brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

The Support Teachers in my school are doing zero! All the mainstream class teachers have set up Google Classroom and work from there but not so much as a squeak from the Support Teachers.

Primary - 220 kids.

Sorry, but I'm really annoyed by that post. As a SET teacher in a secondary school - I have been flat out as normal supporting students in their learning as well as providing differentiated lessons and activities for those co-teaching classes. I have also been working with and supporting parents of those students who are doing Level 2 Learning Programmes; making sure we are continuing work on their folders.

For you to make a sweeping comment like regarding SET teachers is completely demoralizing. In my opinion - people who make those comments about SET teachers are on par with those from the anti-teacher brigade.

Well Done you, your principal will see your great work and see that you are needed from an educational point of view and so wont be redeployed.
    I did point out I was talking about primary and any teacher I have talked to in both primary and secondary have said their SET teams have pretty much disappeared off into the sunset, and provide no support educationally. The most recent secondary teacher i met said it was the running joke on school Whatsapp how the SET team are on holidays already. Perhaps you are the exception or perhaps in secondary things are slightly different? There are always a certain percentage of teachers that give worthy cause for bashing by the anti-teacher brigade i am afraid.
    My 'sweeping statement'is based on evidence from teachers, family members and principals i know personally and i have put the question to. Both primary and secondary.
    I dont see how you can be so offended when all I said was that SNAs will be first to be redeployed and then SET teachers. They will be looked at next based on if they are needed. Youre a bit sensitive if you feel that fact is a sweeping offensive statement.

One principal told me that a number of SET teachers refused to set work for pupils because they felt it was putting too much pressure on the children and parents. I feel you are taking my general point a but too personally rather than looking at the majority. Perhaps secondary are doing more based on your experience but not from what ive been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Life is so mental trying to teach online I’d take redeployment 🀦*♀️ In reality though I’m teaching all my classes remotely and also have no childcare for my two children so I’m not sure how practical redeployment would be. Working from home depending on what it is would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Well Done you, your principal will see your great work and see that you are needed from an educational point of view and so wont be redeployed.
    I did point out I was talking about primary and any teacher I have talked to in both primary and secondary have said their SET teams have pretty much disappeared off into the sunset, and provide no support educationally. The most recent secondary teacher i met said it was the running joke on school Whatsapp how the SET team are on holidays already. Perhaps you are the exception or perhaps in secondary things are slightly different? There are always a certain percentage of teachers that give worthy cause for bashing by the anti-teacher brigade i am afraid.
    My 'sweeping statement'is based on evidence from teachers, family members and principals i know personally and i have put the question to. Both primary and secondary.
    I dont see how you can be so offended when all I said was that SNAs will be first to be redeployed and then SET teachers. They will be looked at next based on if they are needed. Youre a bit sensitive if you feel that fact is a sweeping offensive statement.

One principal told me that a number if SET teachers refused to set work for pupils because they felt it was putting too much pressure on the children and parents. I feel you are taking my general point a but too personally rather than looking at the majority. Perhaps secondary are doing more based on your experience but not from what ive been told.

Go complain to unions and the department if you’re so caught up we’re not doing anything OR become a SET teacher yourself if life is that easy...and maybe you could forward a plan to us all if an unprecedented event like this happens again.

You’re sweeping comment is a sweeping comment from other people’s sweeping comments. How do they actually know they’re not doing anything? I know some of my essential work like the level 2 learning programmes goes unseen as people like yourself are so misinformed and would run at the thought of even doing a second of it.

I’m taking it personally because it’s my role you’re attacking and it’s the inclusion of my students you’re also attacking.

There are some mainstream teachers doing nothing too. Not a squeak about that from you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’m an SET and we certainly haven’t been idle !

I did point out I was talking about primary and any teacher I have talked to in both primary and secondary have said their SET teams have pretty much disappeared off into the sunset, and provide no support educationally. .........

One principal told me that a number of SET teachers refused to set work for pupils because they felt it was putting too much pressure on the children and parents. ..............

I would apply those sweeping genaralisations to all primary teachers, based on evidence from family members, teachers and principals. I could also say that primary teachers have just disappeared into the sunset. I know many parents including myself are giving a sheet at the beginning of the week with numerous tasks to be done/ no corrections, feedback etc. This is an improvement from when schools initially closed. We have numorous accounts on facebook, telling parents not to stress about schoolwork, as learning happens organically in the home- to account for their lack of contact. talking to primary teachers and principals - they feel it is too difficult to apply active teaching methodologies/ too much pressure on students/ students have no access to I.T. or it's been used by parents. I feel your sweeping generalisation could be applied to primary teachers, just as much as SET teachers, and I'm sure someone could easily have a POP at post primary. It's a pity people are so quick to have ago at others, and are so quick to throw others under the bus. Why not reach out to SET to help support other students, this is a learning curve for everyone. Additionally alot of work SET teachers do, is behind the scenes, but some are just very quick to dismiss what they don't understand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Come on, this is not the place to be slagging each other off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Teachers turning on teachers. Who'd have ever thought it!!!

Go complain to unions and the department if you’re so caught up we’re not doing anything OR become a SET teacher yourself if life is that easy...and maybe you could forward a plan to us all if an unprecedented event like this happens again.

You’re sweeping comment is a sweeping comment from other people’s sweeping comments. How do they actually know they’re not doing anything? I know some of my essential work like the level 2 learning programmes goes unseen as people like yourself are so misinformed and would run at the thought of even doing a second of it.

I’m taking it personally because it’s my role you’re attacking and it’s the inclusion of my students you’re also attacking.

There are some mainstream teachers doing nothing too. Not a squeak about that from you!

There are some very sensitive SET teachers out there obviously, maybe due to years of under-appreciation but there are no medals handed out in most lines of work.

I'll differentiate my point to make it less offensive and understandable maybe. The question is about redeployment, and the criteria is based on if staff are needed educationally in these times.

This is my opinion, you might grade a different % but with regards availability for redeployment based on educational needs,
    SNAs - 100% not providing educational support
    SET - 50%
    Subject/Classroom - 10%

this is a forum for opinions, my anecdotal stories if teachers doing very little are just as valid as your anecdote about the great work you do.

Your comment that I would run at the thought of being an SET teacher is laughable. I never attacked the inclusion of your students?! And I never said mainstream/subject teachers are perfect, I said a percentage of teachers give ammunition for justifiable teacher bashing.

I think your anger is mis-directed and way over the top based on me just mentioning the order in which i think redeployment will work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The feeling I’m getting from this is we’ll insist the SNAs are redeployed before us? Although we are all classroom based let’s just focus on us teachers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I’d be happy to work against those virus over the easter & summer holiday if I was asked

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The school my kids goto finally yesterday uploaded stuff on google classroom. The school closed on the 12th of March. There are 17 pupils in the primary school. The majority of the stuff reference was already widely shared on social media. Just in time I suppose for Easter holidays so not really expecting anything again until the 20th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What exactly do they expect we can do? (i am a post primary SNA) I am not medically trained so i cannot replace any type of medical staff whether thats in a hospital, care facility or home for elderly with disabilities etc. I am not trained for clerical work either. The students i work with are all mainstream with very little care needs, and only one with medical (diabetes). I assist with note taking and making sure students are focused and attempting their work to the best of their ability.

If they send potentially 16,000 SNAs out to work in different care facilities etc. are they not going to spread this disease like crazy? And thats not even taking into account our families, My partner has a compromised immune system and asthma so shes high risk, my dad is in heart failure (also high risk) and i have to work in close proximity to him on our farm multiple times a week. I am absolutley terrified after hearing this news, for the pittance they pay us they suddenly expect us to go out and replace staff such as nurses/medical staff and put our families at extreme risk (17 died yesterday alone).

I would also note that i have absolutely zero issue with helping in anyway i can from home (even though i cannot really see how i could assist my students without being physically next to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

They are talking about contact tracing as an example, so lists of people to ring and say they have been in contact with someone and telling them to self isolate.

What exactly do they expect we can do? (i am a post primary SNA) I am not medically trained so i cannot replace any type of medical staff whether thats in a hospital, care facility or home for elderly with disabilities etc. .................... suddenly expect us to go out and replace staff such as nurses/medical staff and put our families at extreme risk

I was surprised by this as well, how can SNA's be expected to replace nurses or medical staff? I thought it was going to be contact tracing SNA's would be doing... were you given any notice of this before today's announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Contract tracing and data entry.
    Not much training necessary.

Millem wrote: »
    Contract tracing and data entry.
    Not much training necessary.
    But they are not been asked to do contact tracing....they expected to replace nurses/medical personal in community settings, with no training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What exactly do they expect we can do? (i am a post primary SNA) I am not medically trained so i cannot replace any type of medical staff whether thats in a hospital, care facility or home for elderly with disabilities etc. I am not trained for clerical work either.

Nowhere does it say you would be asked to perform medical duties.

Clerical work is not that hard. Data entry and contact tracing is probably most of what will be required, which will free up medical staff to do the actual medical work.

According to rte news,https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0401/1127800-sna-redeployment/

"They will be asked to replace nurses and other medical staff in settings such as community healthcare facilities for children with disabilities so that those healthcare staff can transfer to frontline services"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

CraftySue wrote: »
    I was surprised by this as well, how can SNA's be expected to replace nurses or medical staff? I thought it was going to be contact tracing SNA's would be doing... were you given any notice of this before today's announcement?

not a bit of notice given, neither where any of us asked for our opinion. We did question management on how we could help but never heard back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

not a bit of notice given, neither where any of us asked for our opinion. We did question management on how we could help but never heard back.

Fill out the questionnaire and write down your skills. They will match up your skills to a new assignment.

• Advertisement

Icyseanfitz -are you with a union, might be worth contacting Forsa; just for clarification of where people might be going/ what they are exected to do. Hope it works out ok for you, not knowing what you will be doing must make it all the more scary.

Advertisement