Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was hosting students do I qualify for emergency payments?

• 25-03-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi I’m a stay at home mum. I was hosting foreign students for income since January. As that is no longer possible due to Covid19 I’m just wondering if I would qualify for the emergency payments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi I’m a stay at home mum. I was hosting foreign students for income since January. As that is no longer possible due to Covid19 I’m just wondering if I would qualify for the emergency payments?

That would be classed as being self employed.
    Contact the dsp to see what entitlements, I know you are eligible if you have ceased trading if you are self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

That would be classed as being self employed.
    Contact the dsp to see what entitlements, I know you are eligible if you have ceased trading if you are self employed.

Self employed if she is submitting yearly tax returns to Revenue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

van_beano wrote: »
    Self employed if she is submitting yearly tax returns to Revenue etc.

She says she only started in January so there wouldn't actually have been any yearly tax return yet.

OP, am not casting any aspersions here, but I'd say a lot would have to do with how "above board" your operation was. If it was a cash-in-hand job, I can't see DEASP approving payments to refund somebody for loss of earnings from the black economy.

And even if you or anybody else was legitimately set up as self-employed in any type of business just since January, there might be difficulties too, as there's probably no proof or earnings or anything else submitted to Revenue yet. So what's to stop somebody who's newly self-employed from claiming they were making an average €1,000 per week, when they might only have been making €100?

By all means go talk to somebody for proper advice, but I'd bear those two things in mind first.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Hosting students comes under the rent a room scheme so it's eligible for €14,000 per annum tax free ...you just have to declare it to Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

carolmon wrote: »
    Hosting students comes under the rent a room scheme so it's eligible for €14,000 per annum tax free ...you just have to declare it to Revenue

I'm not sure it's self employment.

Difference between that and self assessed perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

carolmon wrote: »

Yes this was the basis I was operating under

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yes this was the basis I was operating under

All nicely above board then :)

Sorry if any unintended offence caused by my first post. As I said, didn't mean to cast any aspersions. The "Rent a Room" scheme didn't occur to me.

Still not sure though if the new payment covers those circumstances. Obviously everything is brand new with it. I still suspect it just covers PAYE or "regular" self-employment income, but I won't claim to know for sure one way or the other.

But at least now you've nothing to fear with going through the official channels to find out, since your income from it wouldn't be liable for tax anyway.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Scrunch

I don't expect this would be covered. It is rental income rather than employment or self-employment income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I doubt you will get anything, have you informed Revenue that you have this stream of income?

Ah, well if it is rental income then I'd say you won't be entitled to any payment, seen as that you're not out of employment..

Tricky one alright

You don't class it as employment, but want an unemployment payment for it

Maybe not, but if you are generally unemployed you should apply for JA/JB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

Ah, well if it is rental income then I'd say you won't be entitled to any payment, seen as that you're not out of employment..

Tricky one alright

You don't class it as employment, but want an unemployment payment for it

Maybe not, but if you are generally unemployed you should apply for JA/JB

I’ve lost my source of income I was simply enquiring if i could try and claim the emergency payment as I’ve been left in a difficult position financially. I don’t claim ja/jb because I’m a stay at home mum and it would be dishonest to use those services when I’m not actively seeking employment. This however is an unusual situation. Everything I do is above board which is why I came here as I didn’t want to apply to something which I am not entitled to. Up until a year ago when I took time out of work to raise my kids I paid into the system for 15years so I don’t appreciate you acting like I’m trying to scam the system or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I’ve lost my source of income I was simply enquiring if i could try and claim the emergency payment as I’ve been left in a difficult position financially. I don’t claim ja/jb because I’m a stay at home mum and it would be dishonest to use those services when I’m not actively seeking employment. This however is an unusual situation. Everything I do is above board which is why I came here as I didn’t want to apply to something which I am not entitled to. Up until a year ago when I took time out of work to raise my kids I paid into the system for 15years so I don’t appreciate you acting like I’m trying to scam the system or something!

All in your head tbh.

Poster was quite straight with you.

How many years you have been contributing is meaningless. We all pay our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The pandemic payment is only for those who have lost income from either employment or self employment. Your keeping lodgers isn’t classed as self employment so your not eligible. If you were self employed then you’d be up on ROS on the Revenue website but I assume your not?
    I’m sorry you’ve lost this income. Please God we’ll all be back to normal soon.

Not at all, I appreciate you are a stay at home mum and it is all above board. Everyone is in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment,

but what I'm saying is, if you don't class the hosting students as self employment/employment then there's no way you can get an unemployment payment for it

Maybe try claiming jobseekers benefit based from your stamps? if it's in the relevant tax year. After all you're basically getting back what you've paid into..

Not at all, I appreciate you are a stay at home mum and it is all above board. Everyone is in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment,

but what I'm saying is, if you don't class the hosting students as self employment/employment then there's no way you can get an unemployment payment for it

Maybe try claiming jobseekers benefit based from your stamps? if it's in the relevant tax year. After all you're basically getting back what you've paid into..

In order to claim JSB one of the conditions is that you need to have “suffered a loss of employment” which is not true in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

shes not looking for employment though... you are advocating fraud

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    shes not looking for employment though... you are advocating fraud
    thank you, splinter has already corrected that ;)

thank you, splinter has already corrected that ;)

Don’t worry dartboardio your trying to be positive with posters at least!

Advertisement