Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anything available to me?

Options
  • 23-03-2020 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

My son is awaiting a covid-19 test,he is 9. He is currently being isolated.
    My gp has said both me and my husband are ok to go to work,as we are both showing no signs and the hse line has also said this too. ( i dont really understand it but anyway)
    We have more or less stayed at home since school finished other then to go to work, so its more then likely the result will be negative.
    Anyway my employer wont allow me back to work until a negative result. Despite hse saying my workplace is not following correct protocol. As it is not me awaiting a test i cannot claim illness benefit. Is there any other payment i may be able to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My son is awaiting a covid-19 test,he is 9. He is currently being isolated.
    My gp has said both me and my husband are ok to go to work,as we are both showing no signs and the hse line has also said this too. ( i dont really understand it but anyway)
    We have more or less stayed at home since school finished other then to go to work, so its more then likely the result will be negative.
    Anyway my employer wont allow me back to work until a negative result. Despite hse saying my workplace is not following correct protocol. As it is not me awaiting a test i cannot claim illness benefit. Is there any other payment i may be able to get?

If your boss has temporarily laid you off because of the corona virus pandemic then you can apply for the emergency payment but he will need to give you a letter explaining why he laid you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The rules are very specific.

Employers implementing quarantine outside of hse guidelines must pay the employee usual wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you’ve been let go by your employer unfairly then you’ll have to make a complaint to the WRC about being unfairly dismissed and you can make a claim for JSB.

I am still on their books and still employed by them,i am just not allowed back until a negative result.

I am still on their books and still employed by them,i am just not allowed back until a negative result.

So he has to pay you. He can’t make up employment laws to suit himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

splinter65 wrote: »
    So he has to pay you. He can’t make up employment laws to suit himself.

They really are refusing to pay me. I only started there in december and i am on a 7 out of 14 day working week. I am still on probation would this make a difference?

I phoned thursday morning when my son had a high temp and said i wouldnt be able to come in and i was phoning my doc for advice. My manager phoned me back later on that day,i told her son was refered for a test as a precaution as he has asthma,he also had a cough and "burning eyes" as he called them. She then said my shift on friday was also covered and i couldnt come back until his result was negative, even though my gp said it was fine she was still insistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 appletara

Hi I can’t find an answer to this on forums. Husband worked as employee until 29th January for the last number of years (construction) he became self employed mid February in order to work for another main contractor who wanted self employed people. The work site has now closed & I am wondering if he will be entitled to the covid payment as he obviously has not made any returns yet?

appletara wrote: »
    Hi I can’t find an answer to this on forums. Husband worked as employee until 29th January for the last number of years (construction) he became self employed mid February in order to work for another main contractor who wanted self employed people. The work site has now closed & I am wondering if he will be entitled to the covid payment as he obviously has not made any returns yet?
    But he opened a ROS account surely?

Advertisement