Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2020, 19:19   #1
Uptheduff

Covid 19 & newborn

I'm due next week and have to say I'm not thrilled I'll be giving birth in the middle of a pandemic. :/ Are any other soon to be mums/new mums feeling a bit more uneasy about the safety of a newborn at the moment?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2020, 20:57   #2
bee06

I’m due next week as well and not super worried. We’ll be limiting visitors if needed and it will be immediate family only anyway. I would assume they have enough cop on to not visit if it’s risky. Will be breastfeeding as well and limited analysis has shown BM has antibodies to fight it. More worried about my husband coming into contact with someone and having to self isolate and not be able to be at the birth.
(3) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 21:02   #3
Candie

Due the 25th and anxious. My husband is also a healthcare professional in critical care, so I'm worried about him too. Apart from anything else he's likely to be very busy in work for the first few months after the birth. Having just moved to a new area and knowing I'll be alone a great deal of the time with a newborn in the middle of a pandemic is not how I hoped to start family life, but there's no point in getting too upset about it when all we can do is just get on with it.

All we can do is follow the advice and wait for the worst to pass. I've stocked up on nappies of various sizes, cleaning fluids, formula (I plan to BF, but just in case I get ill myself I wanted to make sure there was something in reserve), wipes, rubbish bags, medications and dry goods, and other hygiene things like washing detergent and toiletries. I'm basically resigned to being at home for the next few months.

It's not ideal, but I'm trying not to let the anxiety spoil what should be a special time. We'll all cope as best we can, it's all we really can do. Best of luck to you, I hope everything works out okay - I'm sure it will. Try stay optimistic.
11-03-2020, 21:12   #4
Minier81

An already mammy here! Vistors is the thing I'd be most worried about, limit as much as possible. It can be a good idea to have the baby in a sling if visitors are over or when you are out and about to minimise unwanted touching. Breastfeeding will ensure baby gets your antibodies on an ongoing basis, more of an advantage now than usual. And remember no deaths to date for small children so try not to worry x
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 21:49   #5
Uptheduff

It's mainly the few days in the hospital I'm worried about. Hospitals are petrie dishes at the best of times. Once we get home I'm happy to board up the doors and windows and not let anyone come near 😄
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2020, 22:13   #6
shesty

Family member gave birth in CUMH recently and nobody was allowed in.Mammies and partners only, no visitors.I would imagine they aren't the only one with that policy at this stage.There isn't much else you can do, really.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 23:18   #7
Lia_lia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesty View Post
Family member gave birth in CUMH recently and nobody was allowed in.Mammies and partners only, no visitors.I would imagine they aren't the only one with that policy at this stage.There isn't much else you can do, really.
Would love if this was the policy all the time, sounds great!

Best of luck to all you ladies having babies soon.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 23:30   #8
izzyflusky

I'm due tomorrow, giving birth at the Coombe as well, there are signs everywhere saying that only designated birth partners are allowed or parents of babies in NICU.

I had an appointment on Tuesday and the first thing they asked when checking is if I had visited or been in contact with people who have been in a list of countries for the past 2 weeks. Also seem to be getting texts prior to appointments to ring a certain number of displaying symptoms instead of going in.

I'm hoping to have a quick discharge (everything going well) anyway. With my second I was told I could go after 4 hours if everything was ok, but he was born in the evening so had to spend the night and was allowed go home first thing in the morning after doctors rounds... Hoping for something similar.
Apart from that I will be breastfeeding which gives some peace of mind.

In laws are Italian and Spanish so unfortunately they won't be able to visit anymore after baby's arrival for the time being...
12-03-2020, 10:58   #9
Sprites

All hospitals have strict visitor restrictions and the only person who will be able to visit you will be your partner so I'm not too worried about there being a risk of infection on the post natal ward.

Up to you then to decide whether you're happy for people to visit at home or not.

I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Slight worry that if the situation escalates rapidly then even birth partners wont be admitted to delivery suites. Due in 5 weeks so who knows what the situation will be then!
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 15:36   #10
Nickibaby*

It is definitely concerning 😞 I'll be giving birth in Limerick Maternity and very happy that they have restricted visitors to just the birthing partner.

I'm going to ask at my next appointment whether I can avail of the early transfer home programme as want to spend as little time as possible in the hospital. After we come home will definitely be limiting visitors to immediate family only (if at all). I think we'll try and keep the birth as quiet as possible.
13-03-2020, 08:05   #11
raheny red

No visitors allowed after the birth.

https://rotunda.ie/notice-visitor-re...ns-march-2020/
13-03-2020, 08:09   #12
Blingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheny red View Post

So after having your baby and once you are moved to a ward/room postnatally you have zero support from your partner?!?! That’s gonna be so hard.
13-03-2020, 08:09   #13
Sprites

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheny red View Post

Gosh that's going to be tough on Dads and partners aswell as mothers especially if you have an extended stay after the birth.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 08:14   #14
Blingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprites View Post
Gosh that's going to be tough on Dads and partners aswell as mothers especially if you have an extended stay after the birth.
It’s going to be very tough and maybe it’s an incentive to leave the hospital quicker than you would usually. I know for my last two pregnancies I used to be counting the mins until hubby came in so u could have a rest. New babies don’t sleep all that much.
13-03-2020, 08:23   #15
Blingy

Holles st seems to allow the partner/birth parent postnatally.
http://www.nmh.ie/news.181.html

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion