Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there anywhere safe to travel to for a few days?

• 09-03-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So I was meant to go to Northern Italy next week. Had been looking forward to it for ages.

Need a few days away for lots of reasons but trying to work out where is relatively safe to fly to. Preferably within Europe. Spain's Corona virus rate is expanding rapidly as is France's.

Mild weather, safe for a solo female traveler and restful are my basic requirements. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well we are going West of Ireland. I was going to recommend Sweden but probably not mild enough for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Caranica wrote: »
    So I was meant to go to Northern Italy next week. Had been looking forward to it for ages.

Need a few days away for lots of reasons but trying to work out where is relatively safe to fly to. Preferably within Europe. Spain's Corona virus rate is expanding rapidly as is France's.

Mild weather, safe for a solo female traveler and restful are my basic requirements. Any suggestions appreciated.

Lots of places are safe enough to enjoy at the moment.... It's the airport's, planes and public transport where you need to be conscious use hand sanitizer every time you touch anything... Handing over your passport, going through security collecting tickets, dropping baggage going to the loo etc... if you want to stay in Europe ...Try Portugal, relatively small amount of cases at the moment.

If you have the money I would suggest try goto Aruba (fly Dublin Amsterdam then on to Aruba) .... It's a small island high chance of being virus free (not sure what the weather is like at the moment but it's normally quite nice).

Edit.... Just checked the weather ... Late 20s ...so... Warm and perfect for chilling out.
    If you do go, I would suggest stay in the Renaissance hotel.... Free boat ride over to a private island where you can hand feed flamingos

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I would suggest the Island of Crete. It's a really beautiful island with friendly locals. The crime rate is really low there. I went with my partner and we saw locals leave their handbags and phones unattended. It was just a very peaceful and beutiful place. Lots to do and see and very safe. May suit a female solo traveller.

If you fly in to Chania, the airport is only about 20mins away from Chania old town. And there are plenty of AirBNB's and hotels. It's tourist friendly but doesn't have that overly tourist feel for the most part.

Tempreatures would be mild enough. From around 10c-17c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

Algarve is quiet this time of year and has nice weather and I did not hear much about virus in Portugal. So even if you did go low chance there would be a lockdown in the coming week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Malta or Cyprus perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Trabolgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wuhan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Caranica wrote: »

Antarctica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

it's only a matter of time before all flights are grounded,, you might get stuck.

one more big jump in numbers is all it will take, so just be aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

satguy wrote: »
    it's only a matter of time before all flights are grounded,, you might get stuck.
    one more big jump in numbers is all it will take, so just be aware.

That's just scaremongering...!

Only flights which are restricted now are in and out of China, Iran and Italy.

Most airlines will cut flights by up to 25% due to lower demand, if people start suggesting that "All flights" are grounded then it just spreads more panic.

• Advertisement

If say, nobody is flying to (random) Fuerteventura, AL and RA might stop just sending empty planes.

So even if fuerteventura is not restricted, you might still get stuck there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Turkey looks safe.

If say, nobody is flying to (random) Fuerteventura, AL and RA might stop just sending empty planes.

Stop making things up and deal with the facts...!

Flights are still operating, although the situation is changing rapidly there's no talk of cutting flights outside of what I have said previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Kilgarvan

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No confirmed cases in Montenegro, Turkey or Cyprus so far. Only 2 each in Morocco and Tunisia, and a dozen in Croatia. They seem to be the best options for somewhere warm right now, assuming flights are available. There are only 3 cases in Malta, but it's much smaller so the risk of exposure may be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Daft. Just ignore ^ him

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Stop making things up and deal with the facts...!

Flights are still operating, although the situation is changing rapidly there's no talk of cutting flights outside of what I have said previously.

Flights canceled.
    https://www.total-croatia-news.com/travel/41974-ryanair-croatia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you read that article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Nobody will be stuck. They will reduce frequencies, worst case for example might be cancel flights to shannon, so if you were supposed to be flying home to shannon you might have to fly to dublin instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

This is a joke thread surely, travel anywhere, unless a particular country is refusing to take in people, Shur your as likely to get this thing at home then abroad at this stage, I'd personally have no hesitation on travel anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No Covid 19 cases in Lanzarote and the temps are 25-27 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

solerina wrote: »
    No Covid 19 cases in Lanzarote and the temps are 25-27 at the moment.
    My folks are there last few months they have said it is a bit quieter than normal.
    I think only real disruptions were to do with the sand storms a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ikozma wrote: »
    This is a joke thread surely, travel anywhere, unless a particular country is refusing to take in people, Shur your as likely to get this thing at home then abroad at this stage, I'd personally have no hesitation on travel anyway

I thought I felt that way, hell last week I was still going to Italy but it's all changing day by day and I'm certainly not going to locked down Veneto region.

Some great suggestions here, thinking Croatia or Crete at the moment. Aruba is slightly outside the budget and I've been in Turkey before and wouldn't fancy it as a lone female. Lots of research to do tonight, thanks to everyone who's made suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's not so much the places you go to. It's the risk airports and planes pose.

I was to be in gran canaria this week. I canceled and have a few days in South Kerry instead. Need to pack my wellies :)

It's the risk airports and planes pose.

have a few days in South Kerry

I guess you're driving your own car and not getting a Bus or Train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Apparently Indonesia is safe..

(watch to end).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

We were meant to be going to Paris this weekend but cancelled. Heading to Donegal instead!

mojesius wrote: »
    We were meant to be going to Paris this weekend but cancelled. Heading to Donegal instead!

Friends just back from Paris the weekend just gone, said place was quieter but no more than you'd expect under the circumstances, and still queues of around 1 hour for some things at Disneyland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Center Parc, Longford

• Advertisement

Center Parc, Longford

Really?

Indoor location - bit like being in a cruise ship. No thanks.

Can't believe people are being so reckless as to even consider exposing themselves to this and infecting others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Steve wrote: »
    Really?

Can't believe people are being so reckless as to even consider exposing themselves to this and infecting others.

Indoor?

You can't get more outdoors than center parcs unless it's the swimming pool.

Almost every other activity is outdoors

Darc19 wrote: »
    Indoor?

Thought it's main feature was it had a roof over it? no?

The swimming pool has a roof. It's an outdoor forest retreat. You have your own detached log cabin.

Indoor?

You are right, I just googled it.

I stand corrected.

Wow!, their adverts on the radio are really misleading. :mad:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I guess you're driving your own car and not getting a Bus or Train?

Correct...well I'm actually driving my wife's:)

We are also staying in a house.

• Advertisement

This is exactly it. It's not so much the destination I'd be concerned about. I'd be spending as little time in airports/on planes as I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

A solo female traveller going to Centre Parc is going to be absolutely ridiculously bad craic.

A solo female traveller going to Centre Parc is going to be absolutely ridiculously bad craic.

Go somewhere nice. A bit of luxury.

Depending on when you're going, there are good pigsback deals etc to be had.

Not necessarily.

A huge number of corporate meetings take place there and plenty of individuals from those.

And it has a great spa.

Personally, I'd pick some place like Park hotel Kenmare for a bit of luxury.

Personally, I'd pick some place like Park hotel Kenmare for a bit of luxury.

Just checked, 3 nights at the Park would be enough to get me a return flight to Dubai via Stanstead with Emirates, and 3 nights in a 4 star hotel and still have money left over...

Just for some perspective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

[quote="Darc19;112779750".

A huge number of corporate meetings take place there and plenty of individuals from those.

[/quote]

Nearly all corporate travel has been knocked on the head, so won't be many doing that and if it is corporate travel they rarely have time to do anything apart from work or sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was to be in gran canaria this week. I canceled and have a few days in South Kerry instead. Need to pack my wellies :)

Going to the shops here has the same risks. Unless you lock yourself in your home and sterilise everything before it enters your home you are at risk, do you know how to correctly remove PPE?

Really?

There’s only 24 cases in Ireland, calm down.

The indoor location is kept at 29.5 degrees. Which significantly slows down the spreading

Del2005 wrote: »
    Nearly all corporate travel has been knocked on the head, so won't be many doing that and if it is corporate travel they rarely have time to do anything apart from work or sleep.

Not nearly all. Actual far from nearly all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Get thee to Tarifa, sth west Spain, or Guadix, or Granada. Only thing is you'll have to pass through Malaga airport. I passed through there last Saturday and it was pretty busy.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Going to the shops here has the same risks. Unless you lock yourself in your home and sterilise everything before it enters your home you are at risk, do you know how to correctly remove PPE?

Greater risk in an airport and on a plane
    I'm also not in a big city so car travel is essential. won't be on busses or trains and there's not too many in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Clickety Elephant

fits wrote: »
    Well we are going West of Ireland. I was going to recommend Sweden but probably not mild enough for you.

Why would you recommend Sweden as a "safe travel location" for a solo, unaccompanied female? The weather seems to be your only consideration? The locals don't consider it so safe anymore and not just Gothenburg. Wide-spread it seems:

https://rairfoundation.com/citizen-journalist-joakim-lamotte-might-be-swedens-last-hope-if-he-can-stay-alive-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Why would you recommend Sweden as a "safe travel location" for a solo, unaccompanied female? The weather seems to be your only consideration? The locals don't consider it so safe anymore and not just Gothenburg. Wide-spread it seems:

https://rairfoundation.com/citizen-journalist-joakim-lamotte-might-be-swedens-last-hope-if-he-can-stay-alive-video/

I didn't want to press that article but saw the name, googled, and shock, he's "hailed and shared by the alt-right media in Sweden"

Sweden would be safe for solo female travel, but weather wouldn't be mild and you'd have less craic

Edit: nevermind curiousity got the better of me and I clicked the link, this is "Rair Foundation's" bio: "RAIR Foundation USA is a grassroots, activist and investigative organization comprised of everyday Americans leading a movement to reclaim our Republic from the network of individuals and organizations waging war on Americans, our constitution, our borders and our Judeo-Christian values."

Can we please not bring s*** like this to one of my favourite forums? Choose your sources better ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Buzz off with your stupid agenda :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Might be slightly off top topic but has anyone ever flown Aeroflot for long haul flights before? searched some reviews online and its kinda impossible to get an unbiased review,some say its absolutely shocking some say its great.

Some say theres long haul with no leg room or entertainment and some say there is,a fair review from a fellow Irish person would be appreciated if anyone has ever flown with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement