Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Road Club 2020 Races

Options
  • 23-02-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Folks,

Navan Road club are again holding some races during the 2020 road racing season. These are as follows:

Seamus Kennedy Memorial Race – Sunday 8th March 2020.
    Meath Grand Prix – Sunday 17th May 2020.
    Ballivor Grand Prix – Saturday 4th July 2020.
    Robinstown Grand Prix – Saturday 11th July 2020.
    Mount Nugent Grand Prix – Saturday 1st August 2020.
    Kilmessan Beechmount Cup – Saturday 8th August 2020.
    Kilmessan Collins Christie Memorial – Sunday 9th August 2020.

Navan Road club hold their first race of 2020, the Seamus Kennedy Memorial race. This race will take place on the 8th March 2020. Sign on takes place from 9.30am, with races starting from 12.30pm.

We have 4 races to take place on the day. A1, A2, A3/Jnr (all 3 laps - 115kms), A4 (2 laps - 80kms).

Should there not be enough numbers A1 + A2 may be joined together on the day. No seperate womens group, however women are more than welcome to enter and would be entered into the A4 race. Please note that A4 entry is via online only. All other categories can enter online or on the day.

Entry via the link: https://eventmaster.ie/event/95nuw5HWJ

Please spread the word for the race on the day. We would love to see a great turn out for the day.

Any questions then please get in touch. Hope to see you on the day, and if you have a child of prague please leave it out the week up to the race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Folks,

Route map for the seamus kennedy memorial race attached. It is the same circuit as the Cycleways cup/Meath Grand Prix route.

thanks,

burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

burger1979 wrote: »
    Folks,

Navan Road club are again holding some races during the 2020 road racing season.

Now there's an understatement! Fair play to NRC for putting on so many quality races.

Folks,

With one week to go, just giving this another bump. We would appreciate as many people as possible sign up online before Sundays race. Again if you have one, then please stick the child of prague outside.....we dont want the weather that we had last year. thanks.

Well its Sunday evening and the racing year has begun in earnest up and down the country. We had the Seamus Kennedy race on today and apart from a few rain showers, there was no snow and it all went off well. So first off I would like to thank all the racers for taking part, I hope you 'enjoyed' it...:D:D

We cant run these races without the help of our club members and volunteers so big shout out to those too.

But also as usual I am looking for feedback on the race today and the racers experience of the race. Looking for feedback on the sign on, facilities provided, circuit, marshalls/motos and their use for your race today, everything really. Leave a message here or PM me.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭timbel

Thanks Burger

Was a well run race, no issues in the organisation\marshalling.

Disappointed there was no separate A2 race.
    Was this due to a lack of A1 numbers or A2?
    There seemed to be at least 40 A2s present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'd echo the above re a separate A2 race, what sort of numbers do you need to run them separate? It seemed a big bunch rolling out. Not a negative as such, more curious. Enjoyed the race and managed unexpectedly bag some points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭wav1

Bambaata wrote: »
    I'd echo the above re a separate A2 race, what sort of numbers do you need to run them separate? It seemed a big bunch rolling out. Not a negative as such, more curious. Enjoyed the race and managed unexpectedly bag some points!
    The problem with running separate a2 race at present is actually no fault of the a2s..the issue is that there are not enough a1s to justify running a separate race..some of the a1 only races last year were an embarrassment for the riders and organisers

Thanks dor the replies folks. I will ask at clib meeting on Wednesday evening and get back to you on it.
    I will have copies of the sign on sheets there and will get to talk to some people as to why.
    Again if any other info required let me know.
    Also if you have any ideas or input for the rest of the races that we are running for the rest of the year then please also get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

wav1 wrote: »
    The problem with running separate a2 race at present is actually no fault of the a2s..the issue is that there are not enough a1s to justify running a separate race..some of the a1 only races last year were an embarrassment for the riders and organisers

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. We ran a separate A2 only race last year with so few A2's turning up that we had to combine them.

The only thing I would say is that numbers can be a bit mental out on the road sometimes with combined races. Couple of races last year where A1 and A2 were put together. Both had an individual cap of 80 but when merged together you ended up with more than 100 riders on the road. Granted some A2's end up getting dropped pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could you run a reverse handicap? We used to do it in our club league, basically you let the A1s off first if they have a small group but to stop them not doing anything, if they got caught by the A2s, none of them got any points. Makes them ride harder, but also means if they get caught they tend to sit out as there is no point anymore. Everyone gets a race and the A2s all get points if there is a low turnout of A1s. How low is a low turnout?

• Advertisement

OK folks, so following on from club meeting last night. We decided to run A1 + A2 together so that we could have more people helping out to run the races. People that were down to follow the A1 race, either in cars, motos etc. were then re-assigned to do marshalling duties or other duties on the course. We had 35no A1 racers and whilst that may have been enough to run a separate race, if that field had split it would have stretched us a little bit in terms of man power/cars etc.

We will endevour to run separate races in the future for the cats where possible. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

OK folks, so following on from club meeting last night. We decided to run A1 + A2 together so that we could have more people helping out to run the races. People that were down to follow the A1 race, either in cars, motos etc. were then re-assigned to do marshalling duties or other duties on the course. We had 35no A1 racers and whilst that may have been enough to run a separate race, if that field had split it would have stretched us a little bit in terms of man power/cars etc.

We will endevour to run separate races in the future for the cats where possible. thanks again.

Don't think anyone can argue with that. From being involved in organising our own races getting sufficient numbers of helpers out on the road is one of the hardest parts involved in running a race.

Folks,

Well I sit here thinking that the year would run smoothly and we would have held a few races by now. But things took a turn for the worst and I sat thinking maybe there wont be any races this year at all, either by my club or others. But yet here again I sit typing this out

NAVAN ROAD CLUB ARE GOING TO HOLD A RACE!!!!!!!!

We are holding the Mount Nugent Grand Prix on the 1st August 2020. This is a handicapped race over a distance of 44kms, run on a circuit measuring roughly 4.4kms. As per current guidelines race entry is via online portal only and here is the link:

https://eventmaster.ie/event/nRkUplH0v

Route map of the course is as follows:

https://www.strava.com/segments/2008679?hl=es-419

Entries are limited to 80no in total for the whole race. So please get entries in early.

Hope to see some of you there and happy racing.

Folks,

Well I sit here thinking that the year would run smoothly and we would have held a few races by now. But things took a turn for the worst and I sat thinking maybe there wont be any races this year at all, either by my club or others. But yet here again I sit typing this out

NAVAN ROAD CLUB ARE GOING TO HOLD A RACE!!!!!!!!

We are holding the Mount Nugent Grand Prix on the 1st August 2020. This is a handicapped race over a distance of 44kms, run on a circuit measuring roughly 4.4kms. As per current guidelines race entry is via online portal only and here is the link:

https://eventmaster.ie/event/nRkUplH0v

Route map of the course is as follows:

https://www.strava.com/segments/2008679?hl=es-419

Entries are limited to 80no in total for the whole race. So please get entries in early.

Hope to see some of you there and happy racing.

Its gas..even though you have posted the link.here and maybe elsewhere the link.is still not attached to the event on the cycling Ireland events calender..youd imagine it would be there for all to see as soon as it becomes live..fair play putting it on..would appreciate link to races in kilmessan too when they are.live

Folks all entries for the Mount nugent grand prix are now full and we are operating a reserve list. We have a few names down for that and if you wish to be added to that list please pm me. For those that have entered thank you.
    With regards the Kilmessan races on the 8th and 9th August, we have applied to CI to get them up on the booking portal and hope to have the link to entries either today or tomorrow.
    Further race details for mount nugent will be released in the next few days (car parking details, warm up details etc.).
    Burger

And here comes another 2 race's (i have copied the text over from our facebook page, cos i'm lazy like that:p:p ).

Beechmount Cup - Online Entry is now open for this race. Race is being held on the 8th August, with the race off at 7pm. This is a handicapped race, 42kms long over a 14km circuit.

Here is a map of the course: https://www.strava.com/segments/2129945

This is handicapped race, so categories off at timed intervals.

The link to sign onto the race is here: https://eventmaster.ie/event/V1ohERTwv

Please note that entries are limited to 80no in total for the race, so please enter early. Online entry will close at Friday the 7th August at 9pm.
    Please spread the word on the entry portal if you can.
    Further details on the race will be posted here in due course.
    Happy racing.

Collins Christie Memorial Race - Online entry for this race is now open, race takes place on the 9th August, in Kilmessan, just outside Navan.

We will be holding separate race for the following categories:

A4 - Race off at 9.30am. (This is to facilitate mass that is taking place later on in the village).
    A3/Junior - Race off at midday.
    A1/A2 - Race off at midday.

The race takes place over the following course:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/2129945

A4 is 4 laps, A3/Junior is 5 laps, A1/A2 is 6 Laps.

Eventmaster link is here:
    https://eventmaster.ie/event/kZ1FK2TA2

Please note that entries are limited in each race listed above, A4 - 80no, A3 - 65no, Junior - 15no, A1/A2 - 80no total for both. So please enter early. Entries close at 9pm Friday 7th August, if not sold out before then.

Please note that further race details will be posted here on our Facebook page when they become available (parking, etc.)
    Please spread the word on the eventmaster link if you can.

Happy racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

And here comes another 2 race's (i have copied the text over from our facebook page, cos i'm lazy like that:p:p ).

Beechmount Cup - Online Entry is now open for this race. Race is being held on the 8th August, with the race off at 7pm. This is a handicapped race, 42kms long over a 14km circuit.

Here is a map of the course: https://www.strava.com/segments/2129945

This is handicapped race, so categories off at timed intervals.

The link to sign onto the race is here: https://eventmaster.ie/event/V1ohERTwv

Please note that entries are limited to 80no in total for the race, so please enter early. Online entry will close at Friday the 7th August at 9pm.
    Please spread the word on the entry portal if you can.
    Further details on the race will be posted here in due course.
    Happy racing.

Many signed up already for the 2 races? Interested to see what early take up is like given some of the other races are selling out quick.

Folks,

Update on the entries situation for the 2 races on the 8/9th august

Beechmount Cup 8th

68 out of 70 entries gone
    12 out of 15 junior entries gone

Collins Christie 9th

74 out of 80 entries gone for A1/A2
    A3 all sold out
    Juniors all sold out
    54 out of 80 entries gone for A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ah crap.

PM sent re waiting list.

Don't fancy racing hills on Cork same day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭columbus_66

both sold out, is there a waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Folks,

Update on the entries situation for the 2 races on the 8/9th august

Beechmount Cup 8th

68 out of 70 entries gone
    12 out of 15 junior entries gone

Collins Christie 9th

74 out of 80 entries gone for A1/A2
    A3 all sold out
    Juniors all sold out
    54 out of 80 entries gone for A4.

Good to see hard facts like this. Over the years have seen a lot of "almost full" or "filling fast" and then you see taking entries on the day and find the race isn't too busy after all.

Good to see hard facts like this. Over the years have seen a lot of "almost full" or "filling fast" and then you see taking entries on the day and find the race isn't too busy after all.
    Demand is serious for racing due to the very condensed season..riders just want a bit of action because it wont go on forever..we could have had another 200 riders last weekend genuine fact..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

wav1 wrote: »
    Demand is serious for racing due to the very condensed season..riders just want a bit of action because it wont go on forever..we could have had another 200 riders last weekend genuine fact..

Yes. I believe that. This year is exceptional. All the more reason to publish hard numbers. And I don't think any organiser has to worry about lack of interest in the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Also rider lists pre event once registration is complete is a nice touch.

Some clubs have while others haven't to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

+1, appreciate the transparency, helps to manage expectations.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Beechmount is full for seniors, 2 spaces left for juniors.
    Collins Christie - A3 + Junior full, A4 - 22 entries left, A1 + A2 Full.

Thanks to all that have entered. If any changes happen on the amount of entries then I will list here. Also if you wish to be put on reserve list can i ask that you do that on the navan road club facebook page, under the post for each race and the category that you want to be reserved on.

https://navanroadclub.com/2020/07/31/mount-nugent/

Please see info about Mount Nugent Race taking place this Saturday 1st August.

For the races that are being by Navan Road Club this coming weekend, please refer to our website for further information on the races (start times, car parking etc. )

https://navanroadclub.com/2020/07/28/collins-christie-memorial-race/

THERE HAVE BEEN NO CANCELLATIONS FROM RIDERS ALREADY ENTERED, IF YOU ARE DOWN ON THE RESERVE LIST AND HAVENT HEARD FROM US BY TOMORROW AFTERNOON THEN PLEASE TAKE IT THAT THERE WILL BE NO ENTRY FORTHCOMING TO YOU.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS TO BE NO PARKING IN KILMESSAN VILLAGE AT ANY TIME - USE CAR PARK PROVIDED.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Any chance of a womens' race in your roster of races burger1979? At some point? We haven't had a single one yet this year, and the Nationals and the Rás could come up without a single road race for us :(

Advertisement