Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Move/Delete Indication

Options
  • 06-01-2020 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

I would like to make a suggestion that if posts are deleted, then there should be some type of indication that they were deleted.
    On the sizeable Maria Bailey thread, a poster remarked about the incident being mentioned in a pantomime and the subsequent audience reaction.

I responded that Fine Gael's time in power was a pantomime, and also made sure to mention that Fianna Fail would do similarly if they got elected.
    That post was deleted, but I genuinely thought that I forget to hit "post", so I posted my comment again. I re-posted because there was no indication that it was deleted by the Admin originally. Then I see today that it was edited with all the content removed, with the comment that it was "off topic".

Very strange deletion and editing of my two posts; especially when you see this post on the very same page:
    Maria Bailey is an unbelievable milf
    And there are many, many other posts on that thread that could have been construed as off-topic also, but without sanction.

I did not realise that mentioning the party that Maria Bailey belongs to was such an egregious violation of the rules; worse than the above (funny) post. But if future posts are deleted, it would be nice to be informed in some manner, instead of us wondering if it was a technical or user error.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please do not bring this sort of stuff here. If you have a problem with my moderation it is now quite clear that it was me involved and you should raise your concerns directly with me via PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I did PM you.
    I just do not see the harm in letting non-rereg posters know that their posts have been deleted by Mods/Admins.

It will take the guessing out of "Did I press the Post button or not?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Beasty wrote: »
    Please do not bring this sort of stuff here. If you have a problem with my moderation it is now quite clear that it was me involved and you should raise your concerns directly with me via PM

And when you refuse to answer PM’s?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And when you refuse to answer PM’s?

I take it that's the one you replied to me with 2 days ago with no additional narrative let alone questions?

And just to make this really off topic. I am currently in Manchester. I was working all day yesterday. I was feeding the grandchild at midnight last night. I was up at 4 to catch my flight here. Other than spending an hour on the velodrome at lunchtime I've been travelling all day. I am now awaiting a tram to take me to Old Trafford for tonight's match. But please don't let my personal issues/obligations/pleasure get in the way of your own demands. That would be totally selfish of me

I take it that's the one you replied to me with 2 days ago with no additional narrative let alone questions?

And just to make this really off topic. I am currently in Manchester. I was working all day yesterday. I was feeding the grandchild at midnight last night. I was up at 4 to catch my flight here. Other than spending an hour on the velodrome at lunchtime I've been travelling all day. I am now awaiting a tram to take me to Old Trafford for tonight's match. But please don't let my personal issues/obligations/pleasure get in the way of your own demands. That would be totally selfish of me

Please, give it a rest. It’s standard practice to take up issues with a mod through PM. You had time to respond here didn’t you? Anyway how the hell would I know what you are at. Stop being so dramatic.
    Maybe you should stop modding if you are struggling, timewise.

Edit: where are you getting the two days from?

• Advertisement

Edit: where are you getting the two days from?
    Apologies - yes it was around 11pm last night that you sent the PM

But there was nothing in it beyond our prior exchange. There was nothing to respond to. Perhaps if you send another setting out your further concerns/,questions I can then understand what I need to reply to. At this stage there is nothing

And when would you be expecting a reply? Half time will be difficult as everyone is trying to peruse the internet at that time...

But there was nothing in it beyond our prior exchange. There was nothing to respond to. Perhaps if you send another setting out your further concerns/,questions I can then understand what I need to reply to. At this stage there is nothing

And when would you be expecting a reply? Half time will be difficult as everyone is trying to peruse the internet at that time...

Cop on with your passive aggressive reply, no need for it. Again if you are finding it difficult to find the time I’d suggest you give up the modding. Mind you it seems to be a common response around here when it suits. Only volunteers, too busy, hadn’t time to reply. Etc.

FWIW, I asked you to review the ridiculous card you gave me(as per first pm) and to apologize for an insulting pm. I’m not expecting to much from you if I’m honest and I’ve already brought it to the attention of an admin.

Enjoy your match.

Just to add. Nice partial quoting.

I was going to let the matter rest and just presume that Beasty was having a bad day and his decision to delete my comment and remove all the content of my follow-up comment was wrong, but now since it was moved to Feedback, I would like someone to take a look.
    Is it the correct procedure for an Admin or Mod to just delete a post that they deem off-topic without any indication of that action?
    And I'm talking about non-rereg posters here.

And since we are on Feedback, how was my post so off-topic to get deleted compared to other posts on that thread, or even that page where my phantom post existed for a brief moment of time? Deleting posts that are not abusive or racist or threatening or inflammatory can be construed by many as just pure censorship or even biased.

I've been on boards since Dev was in short pants and created this monster, and I have supported it, including financially over the years, so I know it is not a public space. But is deleting a post without any explanation or flag to let the user know it happened the correct process for what is adjudicated as an off-topic comment?

Cop on with your passive aggressive reply, no need for it. Again if you are finding it difficult to find the time I’d suggest you give up the modding. Mind you it seems to be a common response around here when it suits. Only volunteers, too busy, hadn’t time to reply. Etc.

FWIW, I asked you to review the ridiculous card you gave me(as per first pm) and to apologize for an insulting pm. I’m not expecting to much from you if I’m honest and I’ve already brought it to the attention of an admin.

Enjoy your match.

Please report the PM if you have a problem with it. Another Admin or member of Office staff can have a look. I am certainly not apologising for anything within it

I think it was very clear I was not overturning the card. You may start a DRP if you wish. I would encourage you to post our PM exchange in the DRP should you choose to appeal. I think readers of the forum could then make up their own minds

On your suggestion I give up modding I have no intention of doing so at this time

If you do go down the DRP route could you please not continue posting in this thread until that is concluded

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    I was going to let the matter rest and just presume that Beasty was having a bad day and his decision to delete my comment and remove all the content of my follow-up comment was wrong, but now since it was moved to Feedback, I would like someone to take a look.
    Is it the correct procedure for an Admin or Mod to just delete a post that they deem off-topic without any indication of that action?
    And I'm talking about non-rereg posters here.

And since we are on Feedback, how was my post so off-topic to get deleted compared to other posts on that thread, or even that page where my phantom post existed for a brief moment of time? Deleting posts that are not abusive or racist or threatening or inflammatory can be construed by many as just pure censorship or even biased.

I've been on boards since Dev was in short pants and created this monster, and I have supported it, including financially over the years, so I know it is not a public space. But is deleting a post without any explanation or flag to let the user know it happened the correct process for what is adjudicated as an off-topic comment?
    Your post was simply a political statement. I thought the fact it was deleted would have been clear to you. As you made a very similar post again I did make it clear to you that time. I did not consider any other action necessary

Just to add I have deleted many thousands of posts and have banned thousands of posters. It would be, IMO, OTT to try and provide an explanation every time. I appreciate you would have liked one but this is one of the very rare times in my 10 years as Mod, CMod and Admin (possibly the first time) that anyone has made an issue of it

I have though now made a mental note and will try and provide further information to you should I ever feel the need to delete one of your posts again

Please report the PM if you have a problem with it. Another Admin or member of Office staff can have a look. I am certainly not apologising for anything within it

I think it was very clear I was not overturning the card. You may start a DRP if you wish. I would encourage you to post our PM exchange in the DRP should you choose to appeal. I think readers of the forum could then make up their own minds

On your suggestion I give up modding I have no intention of doing so at this time

If you do go down the DRP route could you please not continue posting in this thread until that is concluded

Nah won’t be wasting my time with that BS.
    If you aren’t going to give up modding I’d suggest you stop winging about your lack of time to do the job.

Up city.

If you aren’t going to give up modding I’d suggest you stop winging about your lack of time to do the job.
    I appreciate it's more selective quoting, but I find that's an easier way to get my points across

It is only you who has suggested I do not have enough time for modding. All I have done is point out I am not here at your personal beck and call 24/7

Sorry if that's not the sort of service you expect, but alas on this site it's the sort of service you will get from the volunteer mod base

Your post was simply a political statement. I thought the fact it was deleted would have been clear to you. As you made a very similar post again I did make it clear to you that time. I did not consider any other action necessary

Just to add I have deleted many thousands of posts and have banned thousands of posters. It would be, IMO, OTT to try and provide an explanation every time. I appreciate you would have liked one but this is one of the very rare times in my 10 years as Mod, CMod and Admin (possibly the first time) that anyone has made an issue of it

I have though now made a mental note and will try and provide further information to you should I ever feel the need to delete one of your posts again

The last line above was unnecessarily passive aggressive, insincere, and unprofessional. The fact that you mentioned deleting many thousands of posts and banning thousands of posters and then try to suggest you will make a mental note of my posts seems more like a threat than anything else.

The bit in bold above is what I find surprising. So you had an issue with me making a political statement in a Current Affairs thread about a politician who belongs to a political party, and whose actions will more than likely have severe political consequences for her party? That's an odd explanation for my post deletion. In your PM to me, you said that "it seems that some posters want to take every possible opportunity to take pots at the party in power in a generic way, and that is exactly how I saw you post". But I made sure that I included Fianna Fail in my comment as being part of this pantomime, so the "pot" was aimed at both of the largest parties in the country. So now there seems a discrepancy on why the post was deleted.

I could easily pick out 100 posts on that thread that could have been deemed off-topic, including a comment where someone posted that they thought she was a MILF, and none of these posts were deleted.

In the sense of fairness, and just in case I have completely lost my mind and forgot that indeed I did post something egregiously off-topic, could another Admin re-post my comment here. Maybe my comment was worse that I originally thought. Thank you.

Kivaro wrote: »

In the sense of fairness, and just in case I have completely lost my mind and forgot that indeed I did post something egregiously off-topic, could another Admin re-post my comment here. Maybe my comment was worse that I originally thought. Thank you.
    It was very simple - the thread was about an individual. Your post was only about political parties. No big deal either way

Your post said
    "A pantomime would be a good way to describe Fine Gael's time in power for the last decade. And a Fianna Fail government would also be a pantomime but with different actors .............. with the same lines."

I simply thought you wanted to bring a discussion about political parties into a thread dedicated to an individual member of a party. I just thought that would encourage others to turn it into a discussion that was already taking place in a number of other threads

And just to clarify - the second post said something pretty much the same

" Pantomime would be a good way to describe Fine Gael's last decade in power. If Fianna Fail gets into government at the next election, then it will be the same pantomime with different actors, but with the sames lines and song/dance routines"

Thank you for posting my original comments.
    My main issue was the hassle of re-typing the second comment because I thought I had erred in the posting mechanism on the first one. Many of us have limited time to post and read threads on boards, so it was a complete waste of time re-typing my comment. If I had known that my original post was Mod/Admin deleted, then I would say to myself that there was obviously an issue with it, so I would have left it at it. But there was no indication that my post was deleted for being off-topic. I only knew this after you deleted my comment the second time.

Looking at the current (last) page of Maria Bailey thread, possibly all if not most of the posts on that page could be deemed off-topic. Here are some examples in one quote tag:
    Let's go for a Black and Tan Celebration Party so. What a f*ckin shambles of a government and their representatives.

I think the party is absolutely fooked. Today we had Leo defending commemorating the Tans,school boy Simon saying that vastly overcrowded hospitals shouldn't be cancelling all surgeries and then Flanagan talking himself into a tizzy on the 6;1. They have truly imploded and Veruka is done with it. His body language says that he doesnt want to be there.

Whatever ppl were on the fence before this are most certainly off it now

You wont hear much from Dara. FG knew Christmas would help bury the story. They wont say much now.
    These posts on the current page are about a political party; yet they were not deleted. Apologies to my fellow posters for using your posts in this manner. My personal view is that no posts should be deleted unless they are outright vile, racist, legally damaging to boards etc. But that's just my view.
    I simply thought you wanted to bring a discussion about political parties into a thread dedicated to an individual member of a party. I just thought that would encourage others to turn it into a discussion that was already taking place in a number of other threads

Nothing at all wrong with that view. Maybe this information should have been posted on the thread as a reminder to us i.e. keep it focused on the individual.

If posts are deleted, then there should be some indication that it was removed by an Admin or mod. No explanation is required for the deletion; that could be sought via PM. Some type of flag would be very useful to let us know that it was removed. This would then inform us that it was not a user or technical issue.

I hope that my suggestion is considered. Thank you for everyone's time on this.

I do sometimes mention I've removed stuff, but that's usually when a number of posts have gone off topic. I accept it would have been helpful if I had done so the first time I deleted, and indeed I did correct that the second time.

I also accept there will be many other posts in the thread going off topic. In this case I felt too many other threads were being taken over by party politics, and I could have made that clear here. Ultimately though it is a judgment call, firstly whether to delete, and secondly whether to mention something has been deleted

Unfortunately this thread also involved discussion of another matter, which TBH I had enough off, so apologies if you felt any of the effects of my defending of what was IMO perfectly reasonable behaviour in connection with a poster who coming across as looking for blood to defend their own (again IMO intolerable) behaviour

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Working class heroes, I am not approving your latest post. Do not post in this thread again. You've done nothing in this thread but take angry, sarcastic pot shots at Beasty and we can all do without it.

I do sometimes mention I've removed stuff, but that's usually when a number of posts have gone off topic. I accept it would have been helpful if I had done so the first time I deleted, and indeed I did correct that the second time.

I also accept there will be many other posts in the thread going off topic. In this case I felt too many other threads were being taken over by party politics, and I could have made that clear here. Ultimately though it is a judgment call, firstly whether to delete, and secondly whether to mention something has been deleted

Unfortunately this thread also involved discussion of another matter, which TBH I had enough off, so apologies if you felt any of the effects of my defending of what was IMO perfectly reasonable behaviour in connection with a poster who coming across as looking for blood to defend their own (again IMO intolerable) behaviour

I understand, and apology accepted.
    Thank you for the explanation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement