Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable paypal currency conversion - where is it?

Options
  • 03-12-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I can't find the settings anywhere in the latest version of paypal.

And I can't get the classic site either.

I have searched for it, limited my results to within the past 6 months, and gone to the paypal 'community' to no avail.

It used to be in Settings > Payments > Automatic Payments > Manage Funding Sources.
    The classic site button used to be on the bottom of the page.
    But neither are there now.
    I added a new card today, and I bought something in USD and thought it would use the settings I had in place, but I got charged paypal exchange rate. It was only a couple of cents, but would like to disable paypal conversion before I buy anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I recently purchased something with PayPal, changing the conversation was on the actual checkout page so you have to manually do it every time. Not sure if you can set it up automatically anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Durty.. It didn't give me an option to choose currency.

I couldn't find anything similar to those settings, so I have emailed them and will wait to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Suckit wrote: »
    Durty.. It didn't give me an option to choose currency.

I couldn't find anything similar to those settings, so I have emailed them and will wait to see what they say.

I had the same - didn't give me the option at all either and I cannot find it anywhere on the website, or in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Open this link...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding

Make the change, SUBMIT and check if it has been saved by going back in again.

Info from...
    https://www.gamedealscanada.com/2018/06/27/changing-paypals-default-currency-conversion-option/

Ten Pin wrote: »

Open this link...

Info from...
    https://www.gamedealscanada.com/2018/06/27/changing-paypals-default-currency-conversion-option/

you are a gentleperson - thank you.

Just remember to hit submit then save - it doesn't apply the changes until you've saved it.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »

Open this link...

Info from...

Thank you.
    That had my head done in. I couldn't access the classic site anywhere and thought it was gone completely. That is very sneaky from paypal. Not that I am all that surprised, but it seems almost illegally sneaky.

No doubt there will be a few cards new or renewed in the coming months that will have the same issue.

Thank you.
    That had my head done in. I couldn't access the classic site anywhere and thought it was gone completely. That is very sneaky from paypal. Not that I am all that surprised, but it seems almost illegally sneaky.

No doubt there will be a few cards new or renewed in the coming months that will have the same issue.

I have to agree, it has to be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Khiss

Does this method still work for anyone? when i go onto the link it just sends me to the new version of Paypal

It did work for me, however now when I click on the link the original site is gone

Khiss wrote: »
    Does this method still work for anyone? when i go onto the link it just sends me to the new version of Paypal

https://www.roman-reviews.com/how-disable-paypal-currency-conversion-save-money-fees/
    Update, 2020-01: Paypal has removed the option to disable currency conversion. For a while, a direct link to the option still worked, even though the path to it had been removed. Now, even the direct link does not work anymore. There does not seem to be an alternative way of turning it off. Dick move, Paypal.

• Advertisement

Is there somewhere a compaint (other than paypal) can be made to, that has to be illegal

Kamili wrote: »
    Is there somewhere a compaint (other than paypal) can be made to, that has to be illegal
    Not sure, but I think this is it

14.2 ECC-Net, Financial Ombudsman Service and CSSF. If you have a complaint to make about us, you may choose to escalate it by contacting one of the following:
    1. European Consumer Centre (ECC-Net). You may obtain further information regarding the ECC-Net and how to contact them at ( http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/redress_cons/).
    2. UK Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). For UK resident Users only - the FOS is a free, independent service which might be able to settle a complaint between you and us. You may obtain further information regarding the FOS and contact the FOS at http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
    3. Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF). The CSSF is the authority responsible for the prudential supervision of companies in the financial sector in Luxembourg. You can contact the CSSF at 110 Route d’Arlon L-2991 Luxembourg. You may obtain further information regarding the CSSF and how to contact them at: http://www.cssf.lu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

https://www.roman-reviews.com/how-disable-paypal-currency-conversion-save-money-fees/
    Update, 2020-01: Paypal has removed the option to disable currency conversion. For a while, a direct link to the option still worked, even though the path to it had been removed. Now, even the direct link does not work anymore. There does not seem to be an alternative way of turning it off. Dick move, Paypal.

I have an ongoing dispute with PayPal on this. I added my Revolut card to my account in 2019 for some GBP payments but at the weekend I made a payment of EUR 28.50 to an ebay seller. No option for conversion on screen or what a likely conversion rate would be but I expected payment to go through in EUR and to hit my Revolut card as same.

However my Revolut card was debited GBP 25.02 (equates to EUR 29.82 using Revolut FX rate of 1.1918). PayPal used an FX rate of 1.13909 which hasn't existing since Oct 2019 for their GBP amount.

When I questioned their GBP charge and FX rate they're stating that my card is GBP denominated and that their FX rate involves a 2.5% spread. Their currency conversion calculator today gives a bid/ask spread of 5.938% which is robbery in terms of FX conversion. It was giving GBP 24.742 when buying EUR 28.50 or GBP 23.35 when selling EUR 28.50.

I did not authorise PayPal to debit GBP from my account, the transaction was for EUR and the ebay seller has confirmed they only received EUR 28.50 via a screenshot. PayPal have effectively stole EUR 1.32 or 4.63% of the value of the transaction from my account for which they have yet to answer for.

Luckily the transaction amount was small but it could have easily have been many multiple of that. The case continues but the situation is ridiculous as now if you want to make any cross currency purchases you'd have to have a payment card in that currency or else PayPal will charge you their extortionate FX rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So to clarify you can no longer pay in the currency you choose on Paypal? Balls to that if so, their conversion rates are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So to clarify you can no longer pay in the currency you choose on Paypal? Balls to that if so, their conversion rates are a joke

It defaults to your currency at checkout but you can still change to local currency, though not easy to spot. The option to default to local currency has been removed.

Now it seems that Paypal are trying to force a mobile phone number association with the account when paying for something from some stores in the pop out window. They are citing EU law with it.
    For anyone that doesn't want paypal to have your phone number, or for anyone that doesn't have a personal phone, I closed the window, and logged into paypal as normal then went back and made the order again and it went through.

Three sites tonight had it.
    Maybe Paypal are preparing to join the likes of Ask Jeeves, Geocities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Now it seems that Paypal are trying to force a mobile phone number association with the account when paying for something from some stores in the pop out window. They are citing EU law with it.
    For anyone that doesn't want paypal to have your phone number, or for anyone that doesn't have a personal phone, I closed the window, and logged into paypal as normal then went back and made the order again and it went through.

Three sites tonight had it.
    Maybe Paypal are preparing to join the likes of Ask Jeeves, Geocities etc.

To be fair to PayPal, 2FA is something I do not mind on my account, I'm sure it is optional?

Can't get the currency rate thing going mind you...

Fieldog wrote: »
    To be fair to PayPal, 2FA is something I do not mind on my account, I'm sure it is optional?

Can't get the currency rate thing going mind you...
    I can understand people wanting it as an option, but an authenticator app or many other options would be better. Also, it didn't seem to be what they were using it for.

On the first site I thought it was odd, 2nd site I realised it might be something they are forcing, 3rd time was to check.

There is no option to skip it. The only way I could pay was to login to payal before I went to checkout.

The currency option has been removed from settings etc. But you can now choose the option each time at paypal payment page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Would a solution be to have purchase amount in its original currency on Revolut?

Would a solution be to have purchase amount in its original currency on Revolut?
    That's what the problem was. Couldn't pay in original currency using revolut or N26 etc. It doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, for me anyway.

• Advertisement

That's what the problem was. Couldn't pay in original currency using revolut or N26 etc. It doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, for me anyway.

My understanding iss Revolut used to do the conversion automatically before and now Paypal took over the action?

My understanding iss Revolut used to do the conversion automatically before and now Paypal took over the action?
    No, it is a bit muddled the way the posts are now.
    But.
    Paypal used to always convert and charge you for the conversion (quite high). Then when Revolut, N26 and a few others came along, people were taking advantage of the 'let my card/bank do the conversion' or similar option that paypal had.
    Then paypal hid it, and eventually removed it. So if your revolut card for example was being renewed you had to enter new card details and there was no longer an option to let your card/bank do the conversion.
    But now it seems you can do it with each transaction if you didn't get to turn that feature on permanently before they removed the option.
    I guess they are hoping some people forget to hit that button before they click pay now.

No, it is a bit muddled the way the posts are now.
    But.
    Paypal used to always convert and charge you for the conversion (quite high). Then when Revolut, N26 and a few others came along, people were taking advantage of the 'let my card/bank do the conversion' or similar option that paypal had.
    Then paypal hid it, and eventually removed it. So if your revolut card for example was being renewed you had to enter new card details and there was no longer an option to let your card/bank do the conversion.
    But now it seems you can do it with each transaction if you didn't get to turn that feature on permanently before they removed the option.
    I guess they are hoping some people forget to hit that button before they click pay now.

Is a possible solution then to use your virtual revolut card without paypal as a new card number is generated each time and should be safe?

Is a possible solution then to use your virtual revolut card without paypal as a new card number is generated each time and should be safe?
    Not always. There are some advantages to using paypal.

One I like is Refunded Returns

Is it just me or has the currency conversion option returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Is it just me or has the currency conversion option returned?

I can't see it, where is it?

Peter

Peterd66 wrote: »
    I can't see it, where is it?

Peter
    I haven't checked if the original method has returned, but for now you cans still use this one (if you hadn't managed to turn it off before it disappeared).

The currency option has been removed from settings etc. But you can now choose the option each time at paypal payment page.

It's not a proper solution, but it is an option for now.

Advertisement