Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Branson apologises for photo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm not sure what your point is Matt. I see you are using a worn out trope to insult "the right" but are you saying that you agree with me that this is a situation that didn't need an apology? Or are you in agreement with the opinion that minorities shouldn't be given special treatment?

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people on this issue. If it were Ireland and an all black panel they'd be commenting quite heatedly I'd imagine.
    Seems to me the majority in S. Africa could claim minorities are given special treatment by Branson. You do know there's a lot more black fellas in Africa right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people on this issue. If it were Ireland and an all black panel they'd be commenting quite heatedly I'd imagine.
    Seems to me the majority in S. Africa could claim minorities are given special treatment by Branson. You do know there's a lot more black fellas in Africa right?

conversely, if anyone complained about your hypothetical scenario in Ireland, they'd be branded racist. People complaining about Branson's scenario are not branded racist even though they are the exact same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Disappointed there wasn’t more black face myself

So where do you lie on it?

You would call out the racism in Ireland but in this scenario, do you think the people looking for an apology for over representation of a minority are racists?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'd love how many on this thread would be apoplectic with rage if an African businessman came to Ireland and took a picture with 8 other non-whites to mark their opening of a Centre of Entrepreneurship somewhere in Ireland.

It's not that complicated to see why it was remarked upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You would call out the racism in Ireland but in this scenario, do you think the people looking for an apology for over representation of a minority are racists?

They aren’t at all a minority in South Africa.

I mean for ****s sake people moaned a few weeks ago that an Irish grocery store didn’t feature one Irish white male in one of its banners. Was that a bunch of leftist snowflakes too?

I'd love how many on this thread would be apoplectic with rage if an African businessman came to Ireland and took a picture with 8 other non-whites to mark their opening of a Centre of Entrepreneurship somewhere in Ireland.

Indeed, these type of centers are basically business embassies and you’re not going to have an easy time tapping into the SA economy when the population looks at your efforts as a relic of apartheid

Overheal wrote: »
    They aren’t at all a minority in South Africa.

I mean for ****s sake people moaned a few weeks ago that an Irish grocery store didn’t feature one Irish white male in one of its banners.

……. what? The article states that the country is 80% black.

The people who moaned about the advert, in my opinion, were arseholes. Are you agreeing that people complaining that there were no black people are arseholes too?

Seems like you are tying yourself up in knots.

And again, would you be ok/sympathetic with the apoplectic group or would you ensure that you tell them that it was no big deal and that the African businessman had no need to apologise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

A private initiative designed to open new business' in Ireland with positions to be filled,, OOoooooh I'd apoplectic alright aploplectic out my head.

*Im shaking my fist at the screen

• Advertisement

……. what? The article states that the country is 80% black.
    and not a minority then. If you meant whites it wasn’t clear sorry.
    The people who moaned about the advert, in my opinion, were arseholes. Are you agreeing that people complaining that there were no black people are arseholes too?

Seems like you are tying yourself up in knots.

Wether they were assholes or not a sizable body of white male irish consumers took offense to it. Slightly different culture issues too (Irish apartheid?)

What are the business prospects, really, of any venture that inadvertently offends 4/5ths of the overall market?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

osarusan wrote: »
    Surprised that such a reaction didn't cross his mind or the mind of his media staff before tweeting it.

Of course it did. They knew exactly what it would happen, and that the apology would get them publicity that money cannot buy.

Just the same as Maccas and the Bloody Sundaes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

one thing is certain, RB did not become a billionaire wasting his time on this type of pathetic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Completely useless stat but if you were to randomly and independently pick 8 people in South Africa for a photoshoot there is approximately a 1/390,000 chance of them all being white.

350.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

He could be forgiven if the launch was in Ireland, but it is a bit ridiculous that a South African venture would have not one black person involved. I really don't understand how they didn't even realise that this would be a problem, nevermind how they managed to exclude 80% of the population from the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Has nobody suggested the obvious solution in case the situation arises again?

Branson should clearly just go blackface for the photo to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Of course it did. They knew exactly what it would happen, and that the apology would get them publicity that money cannot buy.

Just the same as Maccas and the Bloody Sundaes.

That's not how it works, there is such as thing as bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

So he is basically apologising for not having a 'token'.

Not really a “token” more that Branson’s venture leadership doesn’t include any representation of 4/5ths of the economy he wants to enterprise within, which hamstrings any networking effort or insight ability of his firm. Eg. A black SA member would have warned him precognitively that an all white announcement photo was ill advised and saved him from his first big SA blunder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Still missing the point. Willfully at that it seems.

There was a point?

It was well hidden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Ha.

When will I get my apology for black people being featured in every single advertisement in Dublin city? Since they're (apparently) just 2% of our population.

. A black SA member would have warned him precognitively that an all white announcement photo was ill advised and saved him from his first big SA blunder

You are saying that it is ill advised because there is no black people there. If you were advising him, would you tell him that he should include some black people in the photo so people wouldn't be mad?

That right there is tokenism of black people.

And again, would you be ok/sympathetic with the apoplectic group or would you ensure that you tell them that it was no big deal and that the African businessman had no need to apologise?

I think you misunderstand my point.

There is a group here saying Branson had nothing to apologise for. I'm suggesting this same group would be outraged if a Black person did a similar exercise in Ireland.

I'm indifferent to Branson apologising or not, I think it was A stupid for him not to have locals involved and B, if they were involved, they should have been in the picture.
    Pulling in a nearby black person to facilitate them being represented would still have been stupid on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Lux23 wrote: »
    He could be forgiven if the launch was in Ireland, but it is a bit ridiculous that a South African venture would have not one black person involved. I really don't understand how they didn't even realise that this would be a problem, nevermind how they managed to exclude 80% of the population from the centre.

Where are you getting the idea that they managed to exclude 80% of the population from the centre? You'd think he had a sign outside saying No N***ers. Have a look at the link below. There were black people present. It's just that there were no black people in that picture.

https://www.bransoncentre.co.za/post/launching-the-branson-centre-of-entrepreneurship-south-africa

By the way, does anybody else think that Richard Branson is starting to look shook?

You are saying that it is ill advised because there is no black people there. If you were advising him, would you tell him that he should include some black people in the photo so people wouldn't be mad?

That right there is tokenism of black people.

I'm pretty sure the poster is implying that it would have been advised to have black people involved in the project, and therefore entitled to be in the picture.

Therefore, not tokenism.

I'm pretty sure the poster is implying that it would have been advised to have black people involved in the project, and therefore entitled to be in the picture.

Therefore, not tokenism.

As long as the people that he had on his team were not employed because of the colour of their skin (and we have no reason to assume otherwise), advising him to involve black people PURELY because of the colour of their skin is absolutely tokenism

conversely, if anyone complained about your hypothetical scenario in Ireland, they'd be branded racist. People complaining about Branson's scenario are not branded racist even though they are the exact same scenario.

True dat. Funny seeing the same folk say that too many minorities is okay, no?

Surely the complete opposite really? The whites are the 'tokens' when they are in the minority.

In Ireland, if they were all black, I'd question why no whites? I wouldn't demand whites. If they were all white, I wouldn't demand one black.
    I believe a minority has less chance of having representation due to numbers.
    In Branson's case I'd query why he's only got minorities and no black people. I'd assume there being more people of colour that by percentages there should maybe be one at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

I believe a minority has less chance of having representation due to numbers.
    In Branson's case I'd query why he's only got minorities and no black people. I'd assume there being more people of colour that by percentages there should maybe be one at least?

Just go walk into any clothes shop in Dublin city and you'll find countless examples of this.

As long as the people that he had on his team were not employed because of the colour of their skin (and we have no reason to assume otherwise), advising him to involve black people PURELY because of the colour of their skin is absolutely tokenism

Is it 'tokenism' if you include someone from the majority?

• Advertisement

There was a point?

It was well hidden!

If you say so

Advertisement