Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp wall in bay window

Options
  • 11-11-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭

Over the weekend, we noticed some paint bubbling and damp stains on the front wall of our house, in the bay window. We have a couch across the bay window normally so didn't notice this previously.

494990.jpeg

The stains are noticeably damp to the touch.

The walls are solid block construction, circa 1955 although there is brick on the outside on the front only:

494991.jpg

494992.jpg

I suspect the moisture is coming from the window but as the stains are only showing a bit beneath the window level, could there be something else happening here?

Window condition:
    494993.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is the silicone gone along this piece?
    can you show the left side and how the window frame is sealed up along the wall

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's not gone but probably seen better days.
    Interior or exterior?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

How cold is this wall to the touch? do you ever get any condensation on the internal face of the wall itself?

Doop wrote: »
    How cold is this wall to the touch? do you ever get any condensation on the internal face of the wall itself?

Wall is cool to touch alright, notably more so where the damp stains are.

Have never seen condensation on the wall, but it's in the front sitting room which we wouldn't use heavily.

Will update more pics this evening.

This is the left side
    495193.jpg

And how the window is sealed to the wall externally:
    495194.jpg

The joint between the two windows externally:
    495195.jpg

The window against the wall internally:
    495196.jpg

The joint between the windows internally:
    495197.jpg

• Advertisement

And this is the wall now that it's not raining:
    495201.jpg

It does seem to me like the window is causing the stain / damage.

We are looking at having the windows replaced (primarily for noise reasons) as well as having EWI installed around March / April next year - do you think we are alright to leave things go that long or is there anything less costly we can do in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for pics
    EWI on the redbrick?
    Anyway if the windows are coming out anyway, I would just pop the sill board and go look.
    can be done with care, do you have a multitool?
    Even if they weren't coming out I would still pop the sills, of course I have all the right tools:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for pics
    EWI on the redbrick?

Is there any issue in doing so? It's not nice redbrick if you get me.
    Anyway if the windows are coming out anyway, I would just pop the sill board and go look.
    can be done with care, do you have a multitool?
    Even if they weren't coming out I would still pop the sills, of course I have all the right tools:D

I have a tools yeah so happy enough to take a look, don't know what a sill board is though!

Advertisement