Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey ferguson 4355 problem

Options
  • 07-11-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi I have a massey ferguson 4355 03 model. It has started loosing power and will not longer go up hills in top gear . Every little Hill you have to change down . Sorts itself out when warm but is getting to be a pain. Diesel filters have been done twice to no avail.
    Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Joe390 wrote: »
    Hi I have a massey ferguson 4355 03 model. It has started loosing power and will not longer go up hills in to gear . Every little Hill you have to change down . Sorts itself out when warm but is getting to be a pain. Diesel filters have been done twice to no avail.
    Thanks for any input.

Any chance there is an in-line filter fitted somewhere and you havent changed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joe390

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Any chance there is an in-line filter fitted somewhere and you havent changed it?
    Cant find any or any mention of one online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

There's probably a small wire filter on the end of the pipe in the diesel tank. I'm not familiar with those tractors, but there's probably an access panel in the cab floor under the mat. Pull up that pipe and see. It's also possible there's a build up of dirt in the tank which is starving that pipe.

Edit: if it's going fine after it warms up, a blocked diesel supply is unlikely to be the issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

If its turbocharged..its highly likely that theres an air leak in the turbo to intercooler rad or from the rad back to the inlet manifold..or even leaking gaskets in the manifold will kill off the 10 to 15 psi positive pressure that the turbo is or. Should be producing..also make sure the air cleaner is clean..
    If my theory is correct when under load she will be smokey as she will be getting excess diesel..
    Keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Is there not a gause filter in the file lift pump.

• Advertisement

What kind of transmission is in it? It sounds like it could be a hydraulic oil issue if she improves when it warms up....

hopeso wrote: »
    What kind of transmission is in it? It sounds like it could be a hydraulic oil issue if she improves when it warms up....
    It has the 12×12 transmission with the manual forward reverse to the left of the steering wheel.

Turbohymac wrote: »
    If its turbocharged..its highly likely that theres an air leak in the turbo to intercooler rad or from the rad back to the inlet manifold..or even leaking gaskets in the manifold will kill off the 10 to 15 psi positive pressure that the turbo is or. Should be producing..also make sure the air cleaner is clean..
    If my theory is correct when under load she will be smokey as she will be getting excess diesel..
    Keep us posted
    Thanks for your reply
    How can I check these lines or gaskets? Would she get the power back when she warms up?
    Any way to check if it's leaking somewhere?

It has the 12×12 transmission with the manual forward reverse to the left of the steering wheel.

That's probably just a straightforward manual box, then....

I can't understand how the power returns once the tractor warms up. Has she bad power at the pto too when cold, or is it only travelling on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭blonde10

hopeso wrote: »
    That's probably just a straightforward manual box, then....

I can't understand how the power returns once the tractor warms up. Has she bad power at the pto too when cold, or is it only travelling on the road?

We have the same tractor,I found it to be a bit sluggish aswell,I think it's down to it being a 40k box for starters,and also it hasn't got a splitter hi/low within the gear range...I know on our one ,when feeding bales around the yard I always work in the M range and in 3rd or 4th gear works away fine.....but on the other hand it's a quick nifty yolk on the road....hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Keep us posted
    satstheway wrote: »
    Is there not a gause filter in the file lift pump.

No intercooler on a 4355, turbocharged air goes into inlet manifold directly. Only real way to test is to get on a dyno and load it to see what kind of power you are getting.

As someone further up has mentioned, pull the top off the lift pump, some have a flat screw and others a 10mm spanner needed, there’s a gauze in there that should be cleaned out regularly.

Air filter won’t usually result on the symptoms you have but not mentioned, have they been checked/cleaned etc.?

A test you can do is to take a 20L drum and pipe the fuel directly into lift pump from it bypassing fuel tank to rule out anything there. If you can hang it high enough, you can go into inlet side of fuel filter housing.

If none of this resolves the issue I think you’re down to the injection pump. Check on the top of the pump there’s a small steel tube that goes from a device on the top of the pump to the inlet manifold, this is the boost control device, check it hasn't come undone etc.
    The torque control piston is a known problem for becoming stuck on these Delphi DP200 pumps which will give you the power symptoms you are experiencing. There’s no DIY fix for this only to get the pump taken off and sent to a diesel repair shop for repair and testing.

Hope it helps.

Have it left into a mechanic now see what he comes back with

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mick4y

Have a 4355 here. Had problem where it was down on power especially in top gear. Seemed like a diesel problem. The issue was a split boost diaphram in diesel injection pump. Simple enough repair. Issue can be identified by checking diesel tank after 30 mins of operation for presence of steam/vapour in tank. Also tank becomes pressurised especially when full. This indicates split diaphram and boost air passing into tank. Common issue with delphi 200 pumps.

Mick4y wrote: »
    Have a 4355 here. Had problem where it was down on power especially in top gear. Seemed like a diesel problem. The issue was a split boost diaphram in diesel injection pump. Simple enough repair. Issue can be identified by checking diesel tank after 30 mins of operation for presence of steam/vapour in tank. Also tank becomes pressurised especially when full. This indicates split diaphram and boost air passing into tank. Common issue with delphi 200 pumps.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'll check that as soon as I can . Yes no power especially in top gear. Seems to be getting worse also as if your not very careful letting out the clutch she will cut out. Got the tractor back from the mechanic as he was to busy and won't get chance to look at it for at least another week. So I thought I might be aswell looking at it and hopefully find the problem. Was the repair costly or how was it done? Where is the boost diaphragm in the pump?
    Thanks again. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Should have bought a Zetor

No intercooler on a 4355, turbocharged air goes into inlet manifold directly. Only real way to test is to get on a dyno and load it to see what kind of power you are getting.

As someone further up has mentioned, pull the top off the lift pump, some have a flat screw and others a 10mm spanner needed, there’s a gauze in there that should be cleaned out regularly.

Air filter won’t usually result on the symptoms you have but not mentioned, have they been checked/cleaned etc.?

A test you can do is to take a 20L drum and pipe the fuel directly into lift pump from it bypassing fuel tank to rule out anything there. If you can hang it high enough, you can go into inlet side of fuel filter housing.

If none of this resolves the issue I think you’re down to the injection pump. Check on the top of the pump there’s a small steel tube that goes from a device on the top of the pump to the inlet manifold, this is the boost control device, check it hasn't come undone etc.
    The torque control piston is a known problem for becoming stuck on these Delphi DP200 pumps which will give you the power symptoms you are experiencing. There’s no DIY fix for this only to get the pump taken off and sent to a diesel repair shop for repair and testing.

Hope it helps.
    Thanks for your reply. What does this boost device do? Will check it as soon as possible. How would I be sure it is the torque control piston that is stuck. Would want to be sure before sending it off as it sounds like it could be a pricy repair.
    Thanks again .

Thanks for your reply.
    I'll check that as soon as I can . Yes no power especially in top gear. Seems to be getting worse also as if your not very careful letting out the clutch she will cut out. Got the tractor back from the mechanic as he was to busy and won't get chance to look at it for at least another week. So I thought I might be aswell looking at it and hopefully find the problem. Was the repair costly or how was it done? Where is the boost diaphragm in the pump?
    Thanks again. :-)

The diaphragm costs about 40euro from main dealer. Its located on top of pump. Two tamper proof screws need to be removed to get at it. I would also check out filter gauze in diesel lift pump first. Lift pump is on right side of engine.

Mick4y wrote: »
    The diaphragm costs about 40euro from main dealer. Its located on top of pump. Two tamper proof screws need to be removed to get at it. I would also check out filter gauze in diesel lift pump first. Lift pump is on right side of engine.
    Thanks for your reply. Mechanic changed this diaphragm and it's going better since. Thanks again :-)

Thanks for your reply. Mechanic changed this diaphragm and it's going better since. Thanks again :-)

Very good. Mine was like a 165 with it gone.

Advertisement