Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona March 2020

• 30-10-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just booked Barcelona 2020 Marathon.

Ran DCM in 2017 and my IT band gave me a bit of hassle leading immediately up to the race, I started knowing I was injured but grit and nurofen completed DCM in 5hrs. Below is my pace chart, I had hoped to do it quicker but was in discomfort at the start and pain and tightness at the finish. For context I did the Dingle Half Marathon 8 weeks previous to DCM in 1hr45 and the training was going ok, long runs until the wheels started to come off the IT Band.

I’m here just to look for advice on how to approach Barcelona now that its 19 weeks out which is a perfect amount of time.

I’m not starting from nowhere, currently running quite a bit during the week for the last 2/3 months, 7.5k and 10k at lunch times , 4 times a week at comfortable pace. I am not *pushing* myself and running while chatting and doing 10k in about 52 mins. 52mins was my PB for a long time in 2016/2017 so im happy that my fitness has improved. I’ve also discovered yoga and doing 40 mins classes through an app twice a week to compliment the running and trying to stay injury free (something I may have not done in 2017)

I’ve quit drinking 18 mths ago and more conscious of my diet, I’ve dropped weight since running in 2017 but I know I want to be lighter to give me a little extra advantage.

Reading now about finding a balance between strength training and actually running and stretching etc. Does anyone have a plan or point me in a direction or guide they found practical and good for training. My goal is to get closer to finish in the first instance and if I can to get close to the 4hr mark.

And aside, i went looking for that Asics Marathon training plan app and it seems to have been swallowed up by Runkeeper. Are there any other ones that are as handy?

Thanks in advance and be nice to see if anyone else has booked Barcelona in March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did Barcelona in 2011 and broke 4 hours for the first and only time. It's a lovely race and well worth a shot. Quite flat and well supported in general.

If you like the Asics plans, there's a British guy who archived them - 4 hour plan here

There is a sub 4 thread in the main A/R/T forum as well.

You really need to focus on injury prevention and protecting yourself if you've had injuries before - if you find sports massage helpful it's worth having it done reasonably regularly, strengthen your core and glutes and the yoga will definitely help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My favorite marathon experience to date. Did it in 2017.
    First 7km is a bit uphill but very gradual.
    Can get hot along the sea as its later in the day, so hat and sunglasses would be beneficial if its a nice day.
    Last 1.5 - 2km is an uphill straight road.
    Lovely start and finish area beside the big water fountain. Lovely course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Incredible city, lovely route.
    Brilliant organisation and the last few miles once you are back in the city centre are excellent.
    Try to book one of the NN hotels early. Either the B or the universal which are both near the start finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I did Barcelona in 2011 and broke 4 hours for the first and only time. It's a lovely race and well worth a shot. Quite flat and well supported in general.

If you like the Asics plans, there's a British guy who archived them - 4 hour plan here

There is a sub 4 thread in the main A/R/T forum as well.

You really need to focus on injury prevention and protecting yourself if you've had injuries before - if you find sports massage helpful it's worth having it done reasonably regularly, strengthen your core and glutes and the yoga will definitely help too.

Great thanks for that. I’ve downloaded the ASICS plan, that is a decent help. On initial inspection it seems quite reasonable and doable with a lot of the runs quite similar to what I am currently doing at lunch time in work.
    Yeah the injury or picking up something is a niggle of a worry I have. I had a sports massage guy on the run up to 2017, I might drop him a line in the coming weeks to maybe visit him once a week for maintenance, he’s reasonably priced and now the DCM is finished he will have time.
    My favorite marathon experience to date. Did it in 2017.
    First 7km is a bit uphill but very gradual.
    Can get hot along the sea as its later in the day, so hat and sunglasses would be beneficial if its a nice day.
    Last 1.5 - 2km is an uphill straight road.
    Lovely start and finish area beside the big water fountain. Lovely course

Sounds ideal. I enjoyed Dingle Half because of the scenic view that distracts you. Could be good enough to run without headphones im thinking, only thing is I don’t want my mind wandering. Wonder will it be a shock to the system running in the heat after training in a winter for it
    Incredible city, lovely route.
    Brilliant organisation and the last few miles once you are back in the city centre are excellent.
    Try to book one of the NN hotels early. Either the B or the universal which are both near the start finish.

Thanks for the heads up. Think my wife is gonna book us into an apartment close to the beach so the kids can have handy access to there for fun. Its only 10/15 min walk to the start finish which looks ideal. And if all goes to hell with the run up or training I always have a nice family holiday to fall back on!

It's in March so it's not that hot. It was around 12 at the start and 17-20 by the end the year I did it - quite pleasant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

http://www.abirradero.com/

Great bar for some liquid refreshment post race, I done 3/4 of it in 2017 and couldn’t fault one thing about the race or city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have had my eye on this for the last couple of months too, love Barcelona as a city.

I have heard about the warnings of running along the sea, can get quite warm, finish in the old olympic stadium I think?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I have heard about the warnings of running along the sea, can get quite warm, finish in the old olympic stadium I think?

It caught me out in 2017 Damo, collapsed shortly after 19 miles but that’s more to do with me than anything else. It didn’t finish in the Olympic stadium then anyway.

The year I did it the breakfast run on the Saturday went up to the old Olympic stadium and had the markers from the end of the '92 Olympic marathon in place. The actual marathon didn't go up.

The route

The start and finish line is between the two brick columns - heading for the fountain as you finish

http://www.bcncatfilmcommission.com/en/location/magic-fountain-barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

ran it twice in 2012 and 2013, great marathon. May head back next March. Fond memories of the after marathon pints in the George Payne, although as 2013 was held on Paddys Day the memories are not as clear as 2012 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

OOnegative wrote: »
    It caught me out in 2017 Damo, collapsed shortly after 19 miles but that’s more to do with me than anything else. It didn’t finish in the Olympic stadium then anyway.

Heat was it B?

Flights with Are Lingus working out around 140 for Fri-Mon, could ya go over on the Saturday do ya reckon?? Is it an expo to pick up the number ?

Heat was it B?

Flights with Are Lingus working out around 140 for Fri-Mon, could ya go over on the Saturday do ya reckon?? Is it an expo to pick up the number ?

Yeah partly, plus walked far to much the day before and didn’t hydrate properly looking back. Expo pick up alright, early flight Saturday morning would work no bother.

This is the hotel we stayed in, 1km from race start & finish. Closing mile of the marathon actually passes the front door, 5 mins from La Rambla and not far from the beach either. Was very reasonably priced when we stayed. Facilities were excellent.

https://www.hotelbarcelonauniversal.com/es/

Just about the heat. Is it soemthing to be concerned about, considering I will be training for this in an Irish winter. How would anyone else train for it or just put it to the back of the mind and deal with it on the day and take on electrolytes etc

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just about the heat. Is it soemthing to be concerned about, considering I will be training for this in an Irish winter. How would anyone else train for it or just put it to the back of the mind and deal with it on the day and take on electrolytes etc

Did it in 2017. Most of the course is very well shaded although sometimes I had to run across to shade after turning a corner.
    I had sunglasses in my race belt and didn't put them on until the beach part. That, plenty of water along the way, my white hat and a vest meant that the heat did not bother me at all but it was only 17/18 by then.

Did it in 2017. Most of the course is very well shaded although sometimes I had to run across to shade after turning a corner.
    I had sunglasses in my race belt and didn't put them on until the beach part. That, plenty of water along the way, my white hat and a vest meant that the heat did not bother me at all but it was only 17/18 by then.

Yeah my main takeaway from DCM 17 was the extra kilometre and a half i ran because i wasnt running the inside line! So where possible i want to stick to that but the shade will be important.
    Never run with sunglasses or hat so something i might add, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

I have just entered Barcelona 2020:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ismisecraic

Barcelona booked!

First marathon for me. Just a question about the bag drop off...am between two minds about whether or not to bring my phone with me or not on the run. Would it be safe at bag drop off? Id want it for after the race etc.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Barcelona booked!

First marathon for me. Just a question about the bag drop off...am between two minds about whether or not to bring my phone with me or not on the run. Would it be safe at bag drop off? Id want it for after the race etc.

Thanks in advance

Did Barcelona once, not a bother..i put a pin lock on and also switched it off.
    I'd be more worried walking the streets before and after hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

More and more mass participation events being cancelled due to corona virus.

Any chance of the marathons being hit?

London, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Rotterdam, Vienna, Barcelona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ismisecraic

More and more mass participation events being cancelled due to corona virus.

Any chance of the marathons being hit?

London, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Rotterdam, Vienna, Barcelona?

I messaged them...

"There are no reasons now to alarm anyone or cancel the event. We are doing and will do everything the Authorities recommend. Today the organization of the event is not in danger"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Latest event to fall victim to the corona virus, postponed until 25th October

Latest event to fall victim to the corona virus, postponed until 25th October

I'd be tempted to do it then - training during summer

Advertisement