Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailering multiple bikes

• 18-10-2019 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Towing bikes on trailers is going to be part of my future!! I have access to a three bike trailer and it looks like I will have occasion to be towing several bikes at once on said trailer.

What are the 'ground rules' of trailering bikes? I'm no stranger to strapping down oddball loads using straps and ropes. Just hoping you can save me some of learning-the-hard-way. There are lots of suggestions on Youtube but that vast majority of videos relate to single bike trailers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Get these kinda straps ( and tie the free-end in a knot when you've them tensionsed up )

Ratcheting ones will drive you nuts

9ISXbVi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gctest50 wrote: »
    Get these kinda straps ( and tie the free-end in a knot when you've them tensionsed up )

Ratchets only drive you nuts if you don't use them correctly and they'll secure a motorbike better than the ones you posted.

OP what car licence do you have? 3 bikes and a trailer will be tight with only a B licence.

Del2005 wrote: »

they'll secure a motorbike better than the ones you posted.....

No they won't - pull the bike towards you when you are tightening the strap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do not use them at all....

They won't hold a bike....

Ratchet straps are the business....

Pull all the way and as tight as you can by hand, don't overlap or have any kinks and once it goes in straight then it's and absolute dream to release....

Do not drive over 80km/h and be aware of different weights also....

If carrying one place in centre if carrying two place on outer to spread weight more even.

Also if you say have a small bike and a big bike be aware of this especially on cornering.

Also make sure you stay under the 3,500kg gross if you don't have a BE licence.
    This is the vehicle and towing added together so can't go over this on an ordinary B licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No they won't - pull the bike towards you when you are tightening the strap

They are held by one piece of strap being clamped by a spring, that's not a secure way to transport a heavy object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Watch the “S” rings, if you hit a bump they can come off.
    If you can get carabiner style ones with a snap gate that cannot I hook themselves.
    Beware of compressing forks too much as you can blow seals when the suspension is fully compressed. The best way of securing a bike is to use a rear wheel harness to secure the bike and the handlebar mounted straps to reduce sway.
    These sets are ideal

https://m.louis.ie/artikel/acebikes-transport-set-louis-special-edition/10041000?filter_article_number=10041000&list=757f020f74fe420968594b682e8a832f

Advertisement