Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I suck at my job

Options
  • 29-08-2019 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All. I'm a full time working professional doing an internship in the biomedical industry (not as sciencey as it sounds). I suck at my job and I don't know why. And yes it has been said to me that I am bad at said job by my manager. And I completely understand where they're coming from. As part of my internship I rotated between 2 areas, and I sucked in my last area as well. I don't know exactly what I'm doing wrong or how I can improve: it takes me forever to finish a task, I don't contribute much in meetings (I was compared to the previous intern and how they were always coming up with suggestions, I've yet to come up with one). I'm pretty lost and out of the loop most of the time. I constantly make mistakes. I know I'm not anywhere near fulfilling my current responsibilities efficiently, nvm undertaking additional responsibilities (that I know I should be undertaking). I'm just incapable of doing things right.
    I've worked some very tough jobs before, and tbh, I sucked in a lot of aspects of those jobs. I was a cleaner, and I was really rather slow at it. I was a waitress and could only carry 4 plates at a time, most could carry 6, I was slower to clean tables/set them up than others, slower to polish glasses etc. I would literally be bucketing sweat down my back, running doing those things, I couldn't try any harder. Idk why I'm so incapable. I was always academically inclined, but when it comes to practice, I'm the worst. My current job is even that technical, it's a lot of quality based stuff, like problem solving, documentation stuff, etc.
    I guess I'm just asking for advice, I don't know how to be more capable as a person/worker

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We all work at different speeds and in my view there needs to be room for people to work at their own level and to the best of their ability without undue pressure.

The real question is if you like your work and wish to continue it? If yes, then you need to set some goals around improving performance, and your manager should be able to support you in this.

If no, then it's time to do some thinking about what you really want to do, as you will find it easier to be productive when your work means something to you and you feel good at it and enthused by it.

Efficiency as a quality is over-rated imho. I have no problem with an employee being a little slow to complete tasks if they are done well.

One thing for you to consider is whether you are very stressed, or distracted, or both, as this hugely impacts productivity at work. You might need to address the sources of your stress or distraction.

And finally, I suggest you do some work on building up your self esteem. You sound like you put yourself at the bottom of the pile and I sincerely doubt you deserve that. Learn to like and accept yourself as you are, and it will be easier to excel from a place of security and comfort than from a place of misery and self-loathing.

Good luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I second everything that's been said above. Firstly, you really need to be kinder to yourself. I know it can be hard, but you need to stop the comparisons and focusing on past jobs and what went wrong. You're clearly an intelligent, accomplished person to be where you are today.

Don't focus on additional things you could be doing. Focus on your core tasks and work with your manager to create a plan, with weekly check-ins. At these check-ins, discuss what's going well and what you're struggling with, as well as potential solutions. As your manager, they should work with you to find solutions.

For the record, I was a waitress who could only carry three plates, used to frequently get in the weeds, used to drop things, didn't make it past a trial in a few restaurants. Still got offered manager positions, the best shifts, the busier sections in other restaurant jobs.

Some jobs and companies are a mismatch. But before throwing in the towel, i suggest giving it another try, without the self-deprecation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

i don't think you should continue in a path that stresses you and makes you doubt your ability and value. nor do i think you should blindly jump in a different direction.

you probably need to understand what is causing you to feel that you are not performing to your potential. If a fast paced workplace doesn't work to your strengths then perhaps that is something you might wish to change. If its just your confidence is low, then perhaps that is what you need to address.

What makes you happy? What are your strengths. Can you marry that with how you make a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I think you just have high expectations of yourself. Why not bask in your mediocrity? Go in somewhere with low entry requirements and a decent pay-scale, find a little corner for yourself, turn up on time, be polite, be nice to your manager, do your best even if it takes longer, over time you'll fall into an area where you've accumulated enough competence and experience... you'll end up with a nice little career without the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Don't be afraid to ask for a one to one for advice, feedback or any additional support you require. A good manager would recognize that you are willing to improve with a little investment from them. It looks good for them for helping you improve and its good for you as you can learn and grow.

Win-win for both parties and shows your commitment. A poor manager would look down on your request or seek to remove you from company if you asked this, if that happens then the place is not worth being in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Comparing yourself to others is seldom helpful, especially when your self-esteem is as low as yours appears to be. It's something you need to start working on. Counselling might be helpful in that respect to help you to figure out why your self-esteem is so low and how to turn your negative thinking, about yourself, around.

In relation to your current job, as has been said by pp, you need to have clarity, goals in place, measures and support if necessary. If all that your manager can tell you is that you're not good at your job, that's really no help and they are not fulfilling their responsibilities towards you, as your manager, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm in the same boat, but I'm in a full time paid position, I started just over 2 weeks ago, and I'm struggling to perform simple tasks. When I interviewed for the job I made it clear I had just finished exams in this field and I had zero experience, I was taken on with the understanding that I would be given training, but my training has been very brief and on the go, I should have picked things up quicker but it's not happening and I'm constantly making mistakes. I'm thinking of quitting already, I'm just not making the cut and I don't want to waste my employers time, as I'm making more work than I'm contributing to at this point.

I suck at my job and I don't know why. And yes it has been said to me that I am bad at said job by my manager. And I completely understand where they're coming from. As part of my internship I rotated between 2 areas, and I sucked in my last area as well. I don't know exactly what I'm doing wrong or how I can improve: it takes me forever to finish a task

It's no good for your manager to say you are bad at your job if they don't offer tips to improve, imo.

You are starting out in your career, of course you are bad, you have a load to learn, and learning takes time. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, everyone has different experiences and abilities etc.

Imo, you need to work out what you are being asked to do. Make a checklist of things you need to do to complete the task and stick to it. Do not multi-task (basically no one can multi-task) and get 8 hours sleep (again, everyone's abilities collapse with a lack of sleep). Group like work with like (ie, don't hop between very different tasks).

Also, be kinder to yourself. Everyone starts out making mistakes, the people who persevere learn from them and don't let them bog them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It takes time to get good at something.

You are interning or only out of that. You are a beginner.

Everyone works at their own pace.

Who can carry 6 plates at a time? How many arms is that? Why do people need to carry 6 plates at a time? Can two people not wait 40 seconds for you to make another trip? Where are they going? These people have nowhere to be op. I mean if you moved faster they would probably just sit there longer at the end of the meal. If someone has the time to worry about the 40 secs you took ...then they have no where to be and a lot of time on their hands so don't worry they can wait.

I have zero knowledge about the biomedical industry but i would say its hard.

You have got to be one of the most conscientious employees ever. You care about how well you do your job a lot. That IS a good employee.

You are a good employee. By my definition anyway. You just need some time and some nurturing.

Advertisement