Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Final - Mr. Nice Guy vs Redzerdrog

• 03-08-2019 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

The Final. To be crowned king of the forums and have selection suggestions carry that extra bit of weight

Mr.Nice Guy and Redzerdrog

If you want to use a site to set your side out these are good:

https://this11.com/#!/editor/

https://www.buildlineup.com/

Each poster can go as in detail as you wish in your write-ups including set up for your own side. Once the two posters have set out their teams they are allowed one post each to explain their game-plan against their opposition (exposing the other team's weakness or to draw attention to a player they think doesn't work in the other team etc).

If one team does not set put their side/tactics inside a 24hr period they will automatically forfeit the tie.

Anyone can vote, but try to give at least one reason why you picked one side.

Do not cast a vote until both posters have submitted their teams.

Voting will close after midnight Monday evening.

Good luck to both posters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

0Ott02T.png

First of all I attempted to create a well balanced team on the players peak ability. My picks were always based upon how they fit into the system i had identified and very happy with the outcome in the end.

Goalkeeper
    Jens Lehmann Premier League Winner and part of the invincible's team. For me he is rock solid but also brings great leadership skills and I have always viewed him as a big game player

Defense
    I will start with my Centre Back pairing of Kompany and Radebe. They are two iconic defenders that offer exactly what I want in a partnership. String defenders who are excellent on the ball, both having started their careers as CM's.
    Peak Kompany was the best CB on the planet. Even beyond his peak he lead his team to an incredible league victory stepping up to the plate when his team needed him the most. He is a leader and warrior on top of being an excellent defender. Radebe is leader in his own right but as well as his ball playing ability he was a superb reader of the game and was lightning quick for a centre back which I am sure will come in handy.

My Full Back pairing of Dixon and Robertson are two of the strongest in the draft i would feel. Dixon was a rock solid defender (purposely selected to cover Ronaldo) but also the first full back that I remember to be comfortable on the ball and offer an attacking threat. He will help provide width on the right.
    I would feel that Robertson has been one of the best left backs in the world over the past 18 month. His pace and energy both defending and attacking will be invaluable to my team. We have seen the quality of his delivery over the past few years and it is mouth watering to think that Ronaldo and Yaya will be arriving at the back post attacking these. I think they will have a fieldday against any side from this area.

Center Midfield
    I feel that my Centre midfield is well balanced to defend, create, attack and dominate in possession and work well without possession.
    David Batty is a two time premier league winner and 3 times in the toty. A brilliant holding midfielder who was brilliant at covering ground, tenacious in the tackle and could ping a pass too. It is rare to get a holding midfielder who was a comfortable on the ball as Batty. He will win the ball back, spread it wide to the full backs, lay it off to yaya and quickly launch counter attacks through Ronaldo and Mane.
    Yaya Toure and Ramsey can both do it all, Defend, Attack, Create and Score goals. I think they will both operate as Box to Box/Attacking midfielders fluently throughout the game. Yaya was a phenomenal player who could do absolutely everything you could want from a midfielder. He will help down the right and I see him linking up with Ronaldo very well. Ramsey will do a similar job in the inside left channel. He has probably been Arsenals best player over the last 7 or 8 years and at his peak and operating in this set up I think he would flourish. Both players have the Luxury of David Batty behind them but how I see it working is one will get themselves into the box while the other will arrive late to the edge of the box. Both players have the game intelligence to thrive in this set up.
    We are dealing with guys with unbelievable numbers from Midfield Yaya had 79 goals and 50 Assists in his time at city which for a CM is fantastic, in 13/14 he scored 20 Goals and 9 assists in the premier league from CM :eek:
    Ramsey also has put up serious number and has 65 Goals and 65 Assists for Arsenal.

Attack
    Where to start only with the best player to ever play in the premier league and second best player of all time Ronaldo. Ballon Dor winner and was absolutely phenomenal in his time in the league. With him on one side and Mane on the other they will absolutely terrorise defenders with Pace, power, dribbling ability, guile, technique and most of all clinical finishing. I think I also have the perfect CF in Bobby Firmino to get the best out of these two and he was picked for this reason. He is a quality player in his own right but his in game intelligence and ability to create space and chance for others is extraordinary, he is selfless in his work. Firmino will help with the press and similar to what he does for Salah he will do the same for Ronaldo.

The interchanging and movement of this front 3 while being supplied by Yaya, Ramsey, robertson et all is gona to tough for any team to stop. When looking at the stats I was suprised by how many assists Ronaldo had for utd he contributed an unbelievable 118 Goals and 68 Assists in 6 seasons for Utd. In his peak season of 07/08 he contributed a total of 42 Goals :eek:
    Mane has 84 goals and 36 assists for liverpool and southampton breaking double figures in every season he has spent in the premier league and peaking last season when he contributed 22 premier league goals.
    Although Firmino contributes so much more than goals and assists he is also no slouch and has contributed 66 Goals and 47 Assists since joining Liverpool again breaking double figures league goals each season. In the 2017/18 season was probably his peak where he contributed 27 goals and 17 assists.

I dont think any team can keep this side scoreless looking at those numbers.

General play
    I think this team is adaptable, quick and pacey on the counter attack but also deadly while in possession. I have already spoke about Robertson delivery and Ronoldo and yaya attacking at the back post. Firmino attacking the front and Ramsey lurking outside the box but this is only one example. Yaya and Ramsey have teh ability to switch the play, play through balls in behind and also utilize Firmino to help link up play.

In possession this team creates 3 on 2s all over the park. If you look closely you will see triangles everywhere (Dixon, Yaya, ronaldo) (Yaya, Ronaldo, Firmino) (Ramsey, Mane, Firmino) even (Batty, Kompany, Radebe) in possession they will help keep the ball moving and get it to the forward line as efficiently as possible. However these triangles will also help my defensive set up, hunting in packs and closing down the space and options. The only player not natural in doing this is Ronaldo and that is why i have set up with players like Firmino, Yaya and Dixon who will do his work for him and allow him to just score and create tons of goals.

I think I am biased but i feel that this team has a strong spine, even stronger down the wings and is well balanced in both attack and defence.

Hopefully I have got what I was thinking and planning across well enough. Its been enjoyable to be involved in one of these again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Apologies for the typo in the title redzer.

Iv been called worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fixed.

I always thought it was dog :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My team:

abRZOINakX.png

My thought process...

I decided early on when I made my first pick of Frank Lampard that I wanted my team to be very much in the mould of Mourinho's 4-3-3 Chelsea side from his first run there. With that being the case I sought a team with a strong spine, coupled with exciting wide men, and a clinical finisher, not to mention a stubborn defence, and so I hope that's the impression my XI provides.

Given that it was the centre of the park that caught my eye for my first pick, I will begin explaning my thoughts there:

Midfield

The pick of Frank Lampard was a key component of my team. It was mentioned that longevity and peak performance would be taken into account, and if so then Frank Lampard surely becomes one of the game's most valuable assets. He has scored more goals than any midfielder in the league, notching up double figures in ten straight seasons, and is also the fourth all-time assist provider. That is incredible consistency I think it's fair to say.

As mentioned, I wanted my midfield to resemble what Lampard played with at club level. He would tend to be paired with a box-to-box type (Essien for example) and usually would have a holding midfielder to protect (e.g. Makelele). For my box-to-box role I chose Darren Fletcher, a player who, while admittedly not the most glamorous of options, at his peak in the late 2000s had become one of Ferguson's most trusted lieutenants, someone Ferguson has described as a "big game player", and making the PFA Team of the Season in 09-10. With his energy, workrate and desire to play the ball forward, he fulfils what I need in this position. And behind the pair of them adding an extra layer of protection in the holding role is Didi Hamann, a sitting player adept at tidying up, as well as capable of pinging some lovely passes to the forward channels for my attackers to utilise.

I wanted my midfield to have a healthy balance and I think this trio of a forward-thinking player, a midfield dynamo, and a deep-lying player gives me that.

Attack

It is up top where I think I have my team's USP: the Arjen Robben and Damien Duff partnership, so devastating in Mourinho's first spell. These two love to be direct and run at the opposition, and had a habit of combining well together that was rare for wingers. Both are also flexible enough to alternate on either wing should that be so desired.

As noted, I wanted my team to have that type of '05/'06 Chelsea vibe to it, and felt I needed someone who could play the lone striker which Didier Drogba did so well. In Ruud Van Nistelrooy I have a top tier striker that can fulfil this role for me. Van Nistelrooy is comfortable working up top on his own, and of course has historically worked well with Robben.

With these two wingers bombing forward, dribbling inside, they will stretch opposition FBs, allowing my own FBs the option to overlap and exploit the space. Should my wingers beat their man, opposition CBs will face the dilemma of whether to go and close the space, knowing by doing so they will then give one of the all-time great fox-in-the-box strikers in Van Nistelrooy the chance to move into a shooting positon, not to mention Lampard's late runs into the box as a further headache. There should be enough chances created over 90 minutes for my team to get on the scoresheet.

Defence

I wanted a big strong character at the heart of defence and in Jaap Stam I have one of the most physically dominant CBs the league has ever seen. I sought someone alongside him that could be mobile and aggressive in winning the ball, and considered the likes of Otamendi - who ended up unpicked - but I though Stephane Henchoz was an ideal partner because I had the famous Hyypia and Henchoz combo in my mind. I feel Stam and Henchoz would work similarly well as a partnership, with attributes that complement one another well. Those two will not be bullied.

In Steve Finnan and Danny Rose as my full-backs I have two dependable players that have each made the PFA Team of the Year (back-to-back in Rose's case), and who are both competent going forward, as well as winning back possession.

Finally, with Brad Friedel, one of the Premier League's longest and most respected servants in goal, who had a habit of being an absolute wall when at his peak, I don't see this team giving away too many opportunities. Again this fits the Mourinho style model I was looking for: solid at the back, dangerous when springing forward.

Final Thoughts

There were many fine teams in this draft, Redzerdrog's side certainly one of the best, yet I believe my team is very well suited for finding match-winning moments in such tight contests as these. The midfield three has a nice balance that I think would combine well, and all with a mentality that would not be found wanting. The defence is combative and stubborn, with a highly reliable number one between the posts. And my front three has the skill to create space and exploit it.

It is for these reasons I hope my team gets your vote. Thanks for reading.

• Advertisement

First things first good luck to my fellow finalist redzerdrog. May the best team win.

I will begin my opening remarks by making a bold assertion: many will look at my opponent's front three and conclude it is enough for the win. It’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw: his front three are a significant threat, and a favourites tag would be fair. But I believe it’s a flawed conclusion to make.

Football as we know is not so simple a game that the team with the most formidable attack always wins. If it were, the likes of Mourinho, Conte and Simeone would not have had careers. Football, I'd argue, is generally won by the team that is the best sum of its parts, rather than by its individual components.

And it is here I believe my team holds the key to win. I feel the sum of my team’s parts adds up to a more well-rounded side than that of my opponent, as impressive as it is.

I see my team having two key advantages over redzerdrog’s side which ultimately holds the key to victory: firstly, a better midfield balance; and secondly, greater tactical flexibility. I’ll touch on these issues below.

The midfield balance

I’ll be blunt here. I was a fan of redzerdrog’s picks for most of the Draft but I think near the end he made two poor picks for a team with aspirations to win a Draft. I’ll touch on the second pick I mean further below the page; the first one I refer to is David Batty.

Batty for me was never an elite level DM. A good player in his day granted, but never at the level of other rivals in his position from the period. He was never a top tier talent. When making his pick, redzerdrog described him as “a 2 time premier league winner” though he only won it once. (I assume redzerdrog is referring to Leeds’ title win which was just before the PL era). As regards the Blackburn PL title win, Batty actually refused a title medal feeling he didn’t deserve one as he only featured in 5 games in the 94-95 season.

Redzerdrog described him as “A key member of the Leeds team that won the league.” Transfermarkt states he played 23 games (keep in mind there were 42 games total due to it being a 22 team league back then) but more to the point, it was before the PL era. If we’re judging players on accomplishments before that then we might as well have picked Bryan Robson for being a beast in the 80s.

I think redzerdrog was being a bit economical with the truth when he added “His best season with Blackburn was the year after they win won the league.” (Not hard really when he had only 5 games in ’95!) And that Batty was:

“A key member of the Newcastle team which challenged for the league twice getting into the toty while there.” (That is the Newcastle team that bottled an historic 12 point lead.)

I get the sense redzerdrog has concerns about this pick.

“Fletcher is the first player picked that I hadn't considered” is what redzerdrog remarked in the picks thread right after I had picked him. That comment stayed with me because Fletcher for me is exactly the kind of player redzerdrog could have done with to provide better balance to his own team.

Redzerdrog says in his opening post above that Toure and Ramsey will “both operate as Box to Box/Attacking midfielders fluently throughout the game”.

I don’t like this approach and don’t see that tactic working against my midfield. With Lampard dangerous with his runs forward, surely redzerdrog would put Toure on largely defensive watch to deal with him? (I can’t imagine Ramsey doing that). And meanwhile I’m going to have Fletcher getting right up on Ramsey to nullify him, as he’s done many times in his excellent record against Arsenal. As far as dictating play from deep goes, who then has the edge? My Hamann or his Batty? I think Hamann would be much more effective setting up attacks and dictating the tempo. I’ll touch on those transitions from midfield to attack next…

Tactical flexibility

I mentioned early on in the game that I wanted my team to resemble Mourinho’s 4-3-3 side from the mid 2000s. And I think it is this kind of contest that sees that approach pay dividends. My team, while operating 4-3-3 in attack (as shown in my opening post), can easily revert to a 4-5-1 in defence. Here it is in its defensive state:

abR3T1Nakp.png

His forward line is indeed impressive. But I query its effectiveness against my team in its deep block formation. In order to unlock such an organised set-up, you’d need a player who can pick a pass and break down defence. Toure usually had that role performed by the likes of a David Silva or Kevin De Bruyne. Ramsey by a Fabregas, Cazorla type. Who is doing it in this team for redzerdrog if his other midfielders are doing a box-to-box role? David Batty?

I can’t see how his team is going to have the nous to find a way through.

This is where I think his decision to go with two attack-minded box-to-box types was a mistake. It will work well to a point against certain sides, but against one that’s quite happy for a cagey contest like mine, it will be found out imo.

I’m not going to play into his hands by allowing much space in behind, and it actually plays into my hands not to do so, as my team is far better suited to springing counter-attacks in that Mourinho style.

This is why I ask voters not to just simply look at his front three and say “Well Ronaldo vs Rose settles it for redzerdrog”. I would understand that if my gameplan was to leave Rose exposed in one-v-ones – that’s not the case. Also Rose has a PL tackle success rate of 73%. To put it into a LB perspective, Baines is at 74% and Ashley Cole is at 75%. I just need him to hold his own on the tackle front, and I’m confident this back-to-back Team of the Year contender and CL finalist will not let the side down.

The same goes for Finnan against Mane. I’ll look to congest the areas and clog the field, depriving them of the space they crave. Firmino in particular I think will struggle without the space to launch into. He will scrap well sure but his attacking attributes are best served when he has room to exploit. I think Stam and Henchoz will work well together and give away very little. At the other end of the field meanwhile I think redzerdrog’s defence contains a weakness I can exploit.

I touched earlier on there being a second pick made by my opponent that I didn’t like and I’m referring to Lucas Radebe. I think Radebe was a good player in his day but one who could be erratic. It’s fair to point out he played a part in Leeds reaching a CL semi-final one year, but it’s equally fair to remind people he was also part of the Leeds side that were subsequently involved in relegation scraps - and eventually relegated in 03-04. Kompany is a great CB of course, but I think he could do with being given a better partner. At this level, at such fine margins, I think it matters. Especially when they’re going up against Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

I’d query the effectiveness of Robertson too. I’m a big fan of his but he has a very defined pressing role under Klopp, aided by the likes of Henderson, Wijnaldum etc in midfield. Is Ramsey going to be able to fulfil this role to help him? Robben would be quite happy to cut inside and test out how well those two are able to work together. I don’t like redzerdrog’s chances here.

Equally, I think peak Damien Duff has the beating of Lee Dixon. I like Dixon but I'm convinced Duff’s pace and trickery carves out plenty of opportunities for Van Nistelrooy to make his runs in the box. With Didi Hamann dropping passes over the top I think my wingers can make their move.

And to return to the Lampard factor, I’m not convinced Batty is good enough to stop one of the PL’s best goalscoring midfielders, and would be confident Lampard has enough attacking nous to exploit the attack-minded nature of Toure and Ramsey.

Summary

In conclusion, while it’s a very strong front line by redzerdrog admittedly, I'd ask voters not to be dazzled by it alone. Look past it to the other areas of the field and ask yourselves whether the balance and cohesiveness is there to get the most of them. I do not believe so and I think my team can exploit my opponent’s weaknesses in clinical fashion.

My team has been forged for contests such as these, and has the mentality to see the game through. It will be a tight affair, and perhaps not one for the purists, but I believe my players edge the result, akin to a 1-0 or 2-1 in my favour.

It is for these reasons, for the overall balance I achieved from my 11 picks in the game, that I believe I merit your vote to be crowned PL Draft Champion. Thank you.

Apologies the Leeds win was in fact before the premier league started I just had it in my head that the premiership started in 92 and Leeds won it in 92. Still doesn't take away from the fact that Batty was a class act and I would have him ahead of both Fletcher and hamman. Who combined haven't the amount of toty appearances.

There is a serious amount of fiction written above and I will respond more in depth when I get the chance.

For now I think I win this game easily as I have a better goalkeeper, better full backs, better centre backs, better midfield and better attack.

How I see this game won.

There is significant weaknesses in MNG back line. In particular Rose how shouldn't be anywhere near an all time premier league draft. He just isn't good enough. He is going up against the best player in the draft in Ronaldo. There is only going to be one winner here.

I like stam as a cb but he will have his work cut out covering rose on one side and henchoz on the other. Firmino will lead these on a merry dance. As I have said previously the reason henchoz is remembered for his last ditch tackles is he was out of position so often.

On the other side there isn't a hope that Finnan will be able to contain Mane. Finnan was a good solid defender but manes pace will be too much. I think this front 3 will score multiple goals against this defence.

On the opposite end my defence matches up quite well the MNG attack. My full backs are a level above MNGs yet his wingers are a level below my wingers. RVN is a danger but Kompany/Radene should be able to contain him well enough. Also I think MNG will struggle to get the ball to his attack as hamman and Fletcher offer little creativity.

Midfield Lampard will be a danger and Batty will have his work cut out to contain him. However yaya just murders the rest of the midfield and himself and ramsey beat hamman and Fletcher all ends up. With the exception of Lampard I hate MMG midfield and just don't think it works having hamman and Fletcher together. Someone like arteta would have been a good fit.

I say play this match 10 times and my team comes out on top 9 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I'm going with MNG. If Slick says he hates MNG's midfield I have similar feelings about his.

Toure is the only player to pick a pass in that midfield and him having to drop deep to do that weakens his ability to get forward and score goals which is what he was best at for City. I think Lampard causes havoc running from deep in this match with Batty the only player willing to diligently track back and follow runs from midfield. Lampard is also far more willing to track back and follow runs than Toure or Ramsey ever was. With Fletcher and Hamann also there that will make for a packed tight midfield and possibly a scrappy game which will suit MNG far more.

Duff will also be left one on one with Dixon throughout the match and he beats him at least a few times. If he can then get a ball in the box you have two great goalscorers in Van Nistelrooy and Lampard to get on the end of them. I can see Robertson getting caught up the field seeing as he's used to playing with a disciplined midfield at Liverpool and if Robben gets in behind it will be hard to stop him.

Firmino isn't going to suit this match either and normally performs better in matches played fast and full of action. He has often had very little impact when a team has sat deep such as when Mourinho's United played Liverpool. His tendency to drop deep also suits MNG with Hamann and Fletcher packing the midfield. Although him dropping deep could leave space for Ronaldo who I think will score. Duff will trackback though to help out.

Ultimately I'm going 2-1 to MNG with Lampard and Robben scoring for MNG and Ronaldo getting one for Slick.

To say Ramsey can't pick a pass is idiotic. He has 65 assists for Arsenal. Over twice the amount of Fletcher and Hamman have combined

Batty was also an excellent passer of the ball

• Advertisement

My vote goes to MNG.

Good final, both teams quality.

Redzer has rose beaten and the other wing is even on redzer attack for me. It's final man and midfield field though that I see deciding this, I feel with Yaya and ramsey playing box to box batty will be left open when the ball gets turned over. Didi and Fletcher have enough about them defensively to hold off Yaya and ramsey coming through Imo and the out ball to Ronaldo on the right would lead to Stam covering that in some cases. That block of 4 is very solid for mng and I don't think the two cms tasked with breaking it have enough to do it, too similar for me. Out balls to wings would be needed in most cases or turned over. Joy from the wings though. Ronaldo to skin rose with Stam not covering for a goal at some point.

On the other side lampard with 2 players we know he works with I'd feel would get a lot of joy with diff and robben playing in and out as needed. Van nistelroey is one of if not the best finisher in pl history imo, I'd have shearer over him but I'd seem them as similar past Shearer's very early days as we didn't see ruud in his youth. Didi and Fletcher are two top notch mf tidying men. Defending and turning over then simple safe play for the main. Both able to pass and shoot very well when need but safe hands and nothing needlessly risky. Intelligent players too able to see where danger is repeating and cut it off if able. Lampard also would have the beating of batty imo and I'd fancy him to get past batty with and in that situation his options really open up due to his distance shot causing the defence needing to close him.

Ronaldo breaks right with through ball less times than lampard gets past batty is the key metric for me as they are the positions these teams will score against each other. Lampard has better options and shooting position, Ronaldo has to come in across Stam to open his shot or gas him which tightens the shot.

MNG to win 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

redzerdrog wrote: »
    To say Ramsey can't pick a pass is idiotic. He has 65 assists for Arsenal. Over twice the amount of Fletcher and Hamman have combined

Batty was also an excellent passer of the ball

You’re welcome to your opinion and I won’t go saying anyone’s is idiotic. I just don’t think in a tight midfield battle Ramsey has the guile or vision to pick a pass to open up the defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Rezerdog for me. Can't get past that frontline. It would run anything ragged. Toure in the middle backed up by Batty is very solid, there's some mediocrity in the team but even the mediocrity is very good.
    His only problem is half them would be injured but full strength it looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Id prefer redzers team just feel there is more goals in his team. I think both Batty and Hamman would struggle to deal with Lampard and Yaya, redzer has the added threat of ramsey making forward runs here.. Duff 81 games 14 goals and Robben 67 games 15 goals at Chelsea were not much of a goalscoring threat. Neither player ever scored more than 7 PL goals while at Chelsea. Ronaldo scored more goals in one season at Utd than duff and robben combined over their 3 seasons at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Redzer for me.

Best front line in the game. And while I hear the stuff about midfield, some of the comments are OTT. There's enough there, and Toure is sensational.

Also, people are underestimating Redzer's defence. The respect for MNG's Stam in this draft has been off the scale, especially compared with someone like Kompany, who doesn't seem to get the same recognition.

MNG's team is extremely solid, but Ronaldo, Mane and Toure have to mean something. Both Ronaldo and Mane have had better seasons in the PL than Robben or Duff ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

I'd have to go for redzer too. I think his team is just stronger in almost every area.

Whilst I would rate rvn a lot higher than Bobby firmino, I think firming is an ideal foil for the rest of the set up and i don't see the mobility of mng's centre backs or centre mids being up to scratch to cope with the fast movement of that front 3 with Ramsey joining late.

I'd see Robben as Mng's major hope here and could certainly see him causing Robertson a lot of problems.

2-1 redzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Redzer for me too. Danny Rose shouldn’t be near this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Mr Nice for me,
    RVN was probably one of the best to get you goal on anyday, backed up with an in form Robben to run rings and Lampard who was absolutely one of the greatest goal scoring machines from midfield to play the game.

Red's front 3 wouldnt get as many goals for me in comparisons to Mr Nice's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This one isn’t as close as previous matches for me, redzer takes this as as I believe his team matches up very well against MNG’s.

I disagree with most of MNG’s opinions of redzer’s midfield. His team is clearly set up to play on the front foot and there aren’t many better than Ramsey and Toure to keep the pressure on. Batty is definitely a questionable pick, but for me he’s not a weakness up against MNG’s midfield which has more of an emphasis on solidity than attack. Lampard as always will be a threat, but I can’t see MNG having a lot of possession in this one so apart from late runs into the box on the counter attack, his best qualities will be neutralised.

Both sides have impressive attacks, but when matched up against the opposition defenders, the winner is clear. While MNG has put together a good defence, I’d favour four out of five of the defensive line and goalkeeper for redzer, with Stam being the exception. Redzer has two wingers who I’d fancy up against nearly all fullbacks in the draft, and MNG’s are no exception. While Robben would have a lot of success up against an attack-minded left back in Robertson, the huge mismatch here is of course Ronaldo vs. Rose, and it might be one of the greatest mismatches so far in the draft I think.

The main thing going in MNG’s favour here, once again, are his tactics and he’s shown a very good understanding of the game in this competition. A lot of the time, that’d be enough to determine a close battle, but the quality simply doesn’t match up to that of redzer’s team and I’d expect Mane and Ronaldo to run amok on MNG’s defence.

A 3-1 win for redzerdrog is how I feel this one would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would go Redzer here as I believe there's a few players in MNG's team that (by the standards of this draft) are a bit on the mediocre side - I'm not sure I'd say the same about Redzer's except for maybe Ramsey.

The front line has good balance and would work well together but I do think Redzer blows it out of the water in terms of quality - Duff is overrated on here a bit I think.

The midfield is interesting - MNG has better balance for me - a sitter, a presser, a creator/goalscorer. But Hamman was probably just shy of world class and Fletcher is no more than a work horse for me. I might give MNG a very small edge here even if I'm not mad about Fletcher and I could see a peak Yaya dominating physically. But probably about even.

As for the back 5, there's not a whole load in it player-for-player but I think Robertson is a superb full-back who is better than Rose (Rose not a bad player by any means though). Dixon probably better than Finnan too. I think strong fullbacks are important for stopping MNG here, as RVN thrives on delivery into the box and I see Dixon and Robertson being competitive against Robben and Duff. So overall better fullbacks for Redzer and a small edge here.

That's my rationale for a Redzer win - I've said it throughout MNG has a really well balanced team, but I think Redzer runs him close for balance and has too much quality in the XI for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Currently 7-3 to red

We call this one at 9pm so still time if anyone wants to vote

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's MNG for me. Worthy finalists. They have the important parts of the devastating early 21st century teams in van Nistelrooy, Robben, Duff, Lampard and even Hamann-Henchoz-Finnan and Stam. You know they will work. They have the palyers to sit back and absorb pressure without full backs getting caught upfield and the weapons to punish on the break.

I don't see Dixon getting forward, Radebe and Lehmann are not reliable for me at the back and even Kompany had his moments.

2-0 or 3-0 MNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tbh for all the talk of midfield, there isn't much between them IMO but I think Redzers is very strong. The Batty pick might not be to everyones taste but he's good foil to Yaya and Ramsey. The back lines Redzers weakest area but I think his front line causes more damage to MNGs back line than the other way around. I can see both sides scoring. I just see Redzers scoring more.

Redzer FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭This is it

Redzer for me. Only have time for a quick look. While Lampard is absolute quality I think the attacking team of Redzer, including the best player to play in the PL, would be too much for MNGs defense

3-1 to Redzers team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Boards.ie 2019 draft winner - Redzerdrog

Congratulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Havent really been on so didnt get a chance to vote but a worthy winner

Congrats redzer, serious team

Congrats and well played, redzer. I knew I'd be up against it in this one against a formidable side.

I gave it my best shot so I've no regrets.

Thanks for running this, IncognitoMan. Really enjoyed it. Whets the appetite for the new season ahead too.

Advertisement