Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rare Cattle breeds

• 26-07-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has rare traditional irish breeds. If so whats the market for them etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gerryirl wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone has rare traditional irish breeds. If so whats the market for them etc.

Never saw any of them selling which, I suppose, says it all really,
    A neighbour is feeding Wagyu crossbreds, only a short while at it yet so haven't heard anything about it, they look like Jerseys in the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

ya im wondering what they do with the steers. the likes of a dexter for example. Just enquiring as a side project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,162 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Woman in Tipp has Dexter beef for sale, think she has about 10 neighbouring farms involved now as well.

Export.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think with all rare breeds and especially niche types such as Dexter's you need to be able to market the end product from farm to fork. Unless your able to both produce the raw product and market the finished one then it's not viable imo. The likes of Drumanilra farm locally is a prime example of what it takes to make rare breeds a financial success. You need to cover all the stages from breeding to finishing to marketing the end product and everything in between. Rare breeds are rare for a reason and thinking that you can just produce unusual weanlings or stores and land them into the local mart is a sure route to disappointment imo.

thanks for the replies folks.

Ya there not the sort of stock you would ever see at a mart. just interesting to know the market for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Drumshanbo would have an organic mart, once a month. Worth checking out, if you're any way near. As Albert said Drumanilra do farm to fork and are interested in organising a group of farmer suppliers. BTW that's organic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Duhallow organics, are doing dexter as well, Niall'd be a straight guy to chat to, in terms of contacts Ect..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The monthly sales in Drumshanbo are an ongoing success and attract buyers and sellers from all over the country. In my experience the best time to sell organic stock live is from April through to August, these are the peak months for grass growth and always see the dearest sales. The autumn and winter months usually see the price premium over conventional cattle reduce considerably especially for weanlings and lighter stores. Having said that the demand for forward stores usually outstrips the supply all year round.

Rare breeds aren't that uncommon at the monthly sales and can often sell as well as an equivalent AA or similar provided there of reasonable size and potential. Irish moiled or long legged Kerry cattle for example command similar prices to average type cattle of more common breeds. Dexter's however are a different story and are definitely a niche product. It's very hard to achieve any sort of half decent money through the sales for them and imo a market needs to be secured long before they come ready for sale otherwise disappointment will ensue.

Thanks Mark, hadn't heard of them. Will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Definitely a market for Dexters.

Not so sure about the likes of Kerrys or Irish Moiled to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The Moiled are a truly beautiful cow.

_Brian wrote: »

The Moiled are a truly beautiful cow.

I believe the moiled have a place in Irish beef production especially with an renewed interest in low input systems. They were the traditional cow type in the West and northern regions of the country and could well be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I believe the moiled have a place in Irish beef production especially with an renewed interest in low input systems. They were the traditional cow type in the West and northern regions of the country and could well be again.

A sin to kill them.

Coolshannagh never knew you were practised Hinduism.

Water John wrote: »

Ah now I do have an odd pang of regret when I load them.

A sin to kill them.

To a point perhaps but for any farmed animal to reach sustainable numbers they need to be killed and eaten with gusto. There's a massive disconnection currently between animals and food production imo and it's only getting worse. It's a much used trope that many urban dwellers believe food comes from the shop but it's becoming a stark reality for many. If anything the majority of marketing campaigns in recent years feed this misconception, I think it was a recent Bord Bia advert for lamb that really brought home this phenomenon to me. It showcased everything positive about the Irish countryside and agriculture, in fact the only thing missing from a perfect lamb advert was in fact the sheep. God forbid that the poor consumer might be racked with guilt about scoffing poor Shaun the sheep and his pals. Without animals there'd be no farming and with agriculture there'd be no domesticated farm animals.

Ah now I do have an odd pang of regret when I load them.

I used to find that the promise of a cheque helped soften the blow but in recent years the real sadness only begins when I view the statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

To a point perhaps but for any farmed animal to reach sustainable numbers they need to be killed and eaten with gusto. There's a massive disconnection currently between animals and food production imo and it's only getting worse. It's a much used trope that many urban dwellers believe food comes from the shop but it's becoming a stark reality for many. If anything the majority of marketing campaigns in recent years feed this misconception, I think it was a recent Bord Bia advert for lamb that really brought home this phenomenon to me. It showcased everything positive about the Irish countryside and agriculture, in fact the only thing missing from a perfect lamb advert was in fact the sheep. God forbid that the poor consumer might be racked with guilt about scoffing poor Shaun the sheep and his pals. Without animals there'd be no farming and with agriculture there'd be no domesticated farm animals.
    There’s allot who won’t eat lamb because they had a connection with a baby lamb
    One thing that saddens me is when out for a meal and not seeing lamb on the menu, it’s a delicious food

There’s allot who won’t eat lamb because they had a connection with a baby lamb
    One thing that saddens me is when out for a meal and not seeing lamb on the menu, it’s a delicious food
    Our favourite place to dine (The Glenview Lounge) unfortunately only offers meals on Friday to Sunday evening. OH always orders a steak (either a 9oz, Ribeye or T bone) and sometimes I defer from the steaks and order the slow cooked lamb shank - it's normally on the menu.

I regularly bring a lamb shank pre packed dinner to my sister in NCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    Our favourite place to dine in unfortunately only opens on Friday evening to Sunday evening. OH always orders a steak (either a 9oz or Ribeye) and sometimes I defer from the steaks and order the slow cooked lamb shank - it's normally on the menu.

I regularly bring a (cold) lamb shank pre packed dinner to my sister in NCD.

OH would generally order Steak while 7/10 I’d go for lamb
    If the NCD folk like lamb, you should arrange a full NCL lamb for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Any word on the progress of this?
    Unfortunately OP hasn't posted any updates since.
    It's a pity considering they are such a important native breed. I've haven't heard any mention of them on any of the farming forums recently.

Base price wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think so as the OP hasn't posted any updates since.
    It's a pity considering they are such a important native breed. I've haven't heard any mention of them on the main farming forums recently.

Same as, I’ve heard nothing. I must pm the op and see.

It's an awful pity that DAFM don't publish stats/figures for Irish rare breeds :mad:

are they a bit like having a MF 20 . they were all the go to have a few years ago. grand to look at but fook all use

are they a bit like having a MF 20 . they were all the go to have a few years ago. grand to look at but fook all use

I personally see the importance of having and maintaining what I’ll call heirloom breeds. Seed savers in scariff do it with plants and veg, why not with livestock? Some of our greats mythological stories are around animals.

When there is no financial need from our farm, I plan on trying a breed or two.

They may not be as efficient as charolais but who’s to know if everything including input and effect in the land was included.

Part of our global problem is there isn’t enough looking into the past to see effective practices. It’s plough on and off with you.

I slaughtered Dexter steers a month ago that made more than commercials well over 100 kg heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I personally see the importance of having and maintaining what I’ll call heirloom breeds. Seed savers in scariff do it with plants and veg, why not with livestock? Some of our greats mythological stories are around animals.

They may not be as efficient as charolais but who’s to know if everything including input and effect in the land was included.

Part of our global problem is there isn’t enough looking into the past to see effective practices. It’s plough on and off with you.

Not to mention the dangerous genetic bottleneck with many modern commercial breeds of everything from cattle to tillage crops. Its vitally important that as much genetic material is maintained in the system from the past to meet future needs and challanges for all types of farming

• Advertisement

I slaughtered Dexter steers a month ago that made more than commercials well over 100 kg heavier.

is there a special premium on them. What weight do the dexters kill out at

Dexter are smaller, easy maintenance, easy calving. Any premium is direct sale, not into the commodity market, niche product.
    Not sure of price but around €4.50/Kg I think.
    Also easier on land that would not carry heavy cattle.

Run of the prices is €5 to €5.50 a kilo , ABP run a scheme and some independents also , kill out at 200 kg roughly .

Thanks Cool, didn't know the price was that high.

Thanks Cool, didn't know the price was that high.

There is demand so prices creeping up all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it true that Dexters are stone mad and would go through you rather than around you??

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Is it true that Dexters are stone mad and would go through you rather than around you??

Like any other breed they vary but in a group or a tight environment they can be spooked but not really big enough to be dangerous .

Run of the prices is €5 to €5.50 a kilo , ABP run a scheme and some independents also , kill out at 200 kg roughly .

Have they to be pure bred to quality for that scheme? I've seen cross bred Dexter's and they were much the same as an average AA imo. My biggest concern with pure bred Dexter's is that there very hard sold outside of these niche markets where as cross breds could be sold through the conventional market if needed.

tanko wrote: »

I don't think that "stone mad" is a fair description but there definitely​ independently minded. As with all stock how there handled makes a massive difference to there temperament. Having said this I've found that most I've encountered​ have been on the flightier side although this may be due to them coming from low input systems with little intervention. Overall I'd rate them as good forager's who are well able to fend for themselves if a little highly spirited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They haven't been on in nearly 10 months but maybe a PM will send an email to remind them of the thread?

Have they to be pure bred to quality for that scheme? I've seen cross bred Dexter's and they were much the same as an average AA imo. My biggest concern with pure bred Dexter's is that there very hard sold outside of these niche markets where as cross breds could be sold through the conventional market if needed.

Yes the schemes require pure bred stock , I suppose why would you try to sell through conventional markets if you can gain the premium , it may require more planning cash flow wise but is worth it in the longer term.

• Advertisement

Yes the schemes require pure bred stock , I suppose why would you try to sell through conventional markets if you can gain the premium , it may require more planning cash flow wise but is worth it in the longer term.

I wouldn't plan to sell through the commercial market but it would still be an option. Perhaps I'm overly skeptical but unless there was a contract involved I'd be afraid of the processor moving the goal posts at the last moment and leaving the producer with a load of hard marketed stock. If you could cross a pure bred Dexter bull onto AAx or SHx type cows it would mean a slightly​ larger finished animal that had the positive aspects of the Dexter while still being suited to the conventional market if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

They haven't been on in nearly 10 months but maybe a PM will send an email to remind them of the thread?

I remember that thread and would love an update.
    Hope the lack of news doesn't mean that things didn't go well.
    Very important to have a bit of diversity in the gene pool,and lovely to hear of someone putting passion before profit and trying to keep such a lovely breed in existance.

I wouldn't plan to sell through the commercial market but it would still be an option. Perhaps I'm overly skeptical but unless there was a contract involved I'd be afraid of the processor moving the goal posts at the last moment and leaving the producer with a load of hard marketed stock. If you could cross a pure bred Dexter bull onto AAx or SHx type cows it would mean a slightly​ larger finished animal that had the positive aspects of the Dexter while still being suited to the conventional market if needed.

I can see your point , I would say they are a rare breed maybe 2000 in Ireland and the meat gets great publicity and is in demand both here and abroad so less risk of getting caught out .

I can see your point , I would say they are a rare breed maybe 2000 in Ireland and the meat gets great publicity and is in demand both here and abroad so less risk of getting caught out .

I understand the potential of Dexter beef (I see it with Drumanilra locally) and there's room for expansion imo. Some more well marketed advertisment campaigns promoting Dexter or other indigenous rare breed beef is badly needed at the moment to help what is a struggling beef industry. Indeed I think that diverting funding to such an endeavor would be far more beneficial to the sector than calling for pickets outside the factories or giving a token payment to farmers for having calved cow's last year.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that we need to look within as opposed to outside the sector for salvation. The market is there for niche products of all kinds​ with a back story and tag line, if the south American's or other's want to produce bargain basement type product then good luck to them. We've been there and done that (still are doing it really) and the majority of us have little to show for our efforts. We can't keep on going down the present route and it amazes me that anyone who attempts to break ranks is castigated by the majority. Perhaps everyone can't produce Dexter beef but there's other options available rather than producing "prime" beef at loss just because it's the done thing.

Well it probably would be a game for a minority and that's fine. If a % of beef went into niche production it would mean less cattle finishing in mainstream. We all know scarcity improves price.
    If the next Glas Scheme is tailored to dovetail with Organic Scheme, where a farmer wants to, it would be a great help.

I understand the potential of Dexter beef (I see it with Drumanilra locally) and there's room for expansion imo. Some more well marketed advertisment campaigns promoting Dexter or other indigenous rare breed beef is badly needed at the moment to help what is a struggling beef industry.

Do you not think such an effort will have to be farmer led and managed, ie farmers will have to do it for themselves. There's plenty of leader funding available, the means is there.
    The last thing to do is ask the government to give us another quango with responsibility to set up whatever the new idea is.....the performance of the HSE (and lots more public services) should tell us not to let them near it
    Time for farmers to do it for themselves.
    A lot of organic lambs are handled by our lamb group but for years the majority were going conventional and getting no bonus, I think the percentage is improving now

wrangler wrote: »
    I understand the potential of Dexter beef (I see it with Drumanilra locally) and there's room for expansion imo. Some more well marketed advertisment campaigns promoting Dexter or other indigenous rare breed beef is badly needed at the moment to help what is a struggling beef industry.

Do you not think such an effort will have to be farmer led and managed, ie farmers will have to do it for themselves. There's plenty of leader funding available, the means is there.
    The last thing to do is ask the government to give us another quango with responsibility to set up whatever the new idea is.....the performance of the HSE (and lots more public services) should tell us not to let them near it
    Time for farmers to do it for themselves.
    A lot of organic lambs are handled by our lamb group but for years the majority were going conventional and getting no bonus, I think the percentage is improving now

Of course it's going to have to be farmer led, I don't see anyone else prepared to do it for us. The only ones that seem unhappy with the current situation are farmers so it's up to us to make the change. I'm not anyway familiar with the funding available so I can't comment as to whether it's sufficient or otherwise. We have more than enough "advisory" services available currently although none of them seem interested in anything outside of commodity based production. I see no great reason why any other organization would have a different view point so anything we do will have to be led by farmers for farmers. This is probably the major stumbling block of any such setup, it would be easier to put a camel through the eye of a needle than get a group of farmers to agree to and commit to such a project imo.

Of course it's going to have to be farmer led, I don't see anyone else prepared to do it for us. The only ones that seem unhappy with the current situation are farmers so it's up to us to make the change. I'm not anyway familiar with the funding available so I can't comment as to whether it's sufficient or otherwise. We have more than enough "advisory" services available currently although none of them seem interested in anything outside of commodity based production. I see no great reason why any other organization would have a different view point so anything we do will have to be led by farmers for farmers. This is probably the major stumbling block of anyt such setup, it would be easier to put a camel through the eye of a needle than get a group of farmers to agree to and commit to such a project imo.

What I was trying to say it's a bit stupid to expect the government to get us out of this mess. A billion wasted on the childrens hospital seem to have the country broke, I can't even expect another fiver in my pension next year :D
    Farmers did let a couple of farmer owned factories go to the wall years ago.
    No more than any other sector, farmers will hang back and let others do the work, do the cute hoor etc

wrangler wrote: »
    What I was trying to say it's a bit stupid to expect the government to get us out of this mess. A billion wasted on the childrens hospital seem to have the country broke, I can't even expect another fiver in my pension next year :D
    Farmers did let a couple of farmer owned factories go to the wall years ago.
    No more than any other sector, farmers will hang back and let others do the work, do the cute hoor etc

I'm not suggesting that the government have any hand, act or part in any possible solution. As for the farmer led factories that was before my time although it could quite possibly happen again. It's never going to be a one size fits all solution and therefore will be dependent on a group of like minded individuals who are interested in making it work.

I often wonder if I was lucky enough to have either a substantial off farm income, large basic payment or a "laying hen" would I be so bother about the state of my chosen beef sector. Obviously nobody wants to lose money on stock but if the means justified the end then perhaps it wouldn't be all in vain. The majority of lads at beef in my locality have one or more of the above means of supporting themselves financially. If i was sure of enough money coming in every week to maintain everything then I'd hardly bother with more than an occasional out burst from the sidelines when it wasn't all going to plan. Perhaps it's only cretins such as myself who are dependent on the livestock trade for both my on and off farm income that are actually that worried about the state of the sector. To paraphrase my first love interest "Albert it's not me it's you".

Any word on the progress of this?

I came across this Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/477103142793995/
    If the link doesn't work search Bo Riabhach Breeders Group.
    Another link for those interested in our heritage breeds - https://www.nationalruralnetwork.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Rare-Breeds-ASPaul21-Send-for-New-WEBSITE.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement