Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-07-2019, 14:04   #1
Ectoplasm

ECTO's Walrus

What is Walrus ?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why am I doing this ?

I want to hear more music. I love music and I love discovering other people's music. I was that nerdy teen who went through other people's CD collections (and possibly secretly judged them as only a teenager can). The most important thing to note though is that Rikand started this so he gets some credit if it goes well and all the blame if it doesn't.

What kind of music am I into ?

All sorts. Genuinely all sorts. I like indie, rock, metal, dance, hip hop, country and classical. If there's a genre I probably have listened to it. That said, that doesn't mean I like everything; I'm contrary that way. As you'll see from my categories, I'm a sucker for decent lyrics. I also love a good instrumental. Mostly I love discovering new music and I love finding out why people like it too, so a lot of my categories are based around that.

So....submit songs that you love. I'm mostly doing this to find new music so songs/bands that I'm not familiar with will probably do well. I will judge - but not too harshly

Categories are:

1: Tell me a story: I love a good narrative in songs, songs that capture a moment or movement or just a person. Submit a song that tells a story.

2: Give me one moment in time: For me, music can transport me back to specific moments in time. Submit a song that evokes a memory for you and feel free to share what it is too if you like

3: In my hometown: I love a lot of Irish songwriters work and I think smaller artists with local fanbases can be amazing. Submit something from your hometown/country.

4: Where da Cheese At? : While I love lots of great music, there are also a few absolute choons that I realise are terribad and love them anyway. They can be silly/sad/sentimental. Doesn't matter. Submit your favourite fromage.

5: Just Like in the Movies: One of my favourite ways to discover new music is through movies. I've found some great bands through soundtracks. Submit a song from a soundtrack.

That's it for the categories. Please submit links to the songs - Spotify/YouTube etc. so that I can listen to them easily.
The deadline for submissions is 20th July. My plan is to listen to them over the following week with the reveal taking place between from the 28th on, with a plan to do one category per night across that week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walrus.jpg (7.1 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by Baggly; 09-08-2019 at 10:07.
Advertisement
05-07-2019, 15:01   #2
Necro

Definitely entering this but will have to wait until next week as I'm not sure if the songs will link from mobile.

I will endeavour to try though
Thanks from:
05-07-2019, 15:32   #3
Ectoplasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Definitely entering this but will have to wait until next week as I'm not sure if the songs will link from mobile.

I will endeavour to try though
No rush at all Necro. As long as they're in by closing date it's all good.
Thanks from:
05-07-2019, 15:37   #4
BuileBeag

Yay another walrus!! I'm definitely entering. Already have one song in mind after a quick read through the topics.
Thanks from:
05-07-2019, 15:43   #5
Necro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectoplasm
No rush at all Necro. As long as they're in by closing date it's all good.

I actually tried to submit an entry there but the links to the songs wouldn't work so yeah itll have to wait

My initial planned entries will probably change between now and then though
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2019, 23:57   #6
MicksJaguar

I'll be in at some stage, I'm considering submitting my answers in single pms per category, its a head scratching one.

Most of the songs I like could be cheasy
Thanks from:
06-07-2019, 01:27   #7
MicksJaguar

in minus 1 until i work it out
06-07-2019, 02:08   #8
Rikand

3 songs in mind for 3 of the cats. Other two very much undecided
Thanks from:
06-07-2019, 02:34   #9
osh

Entry in
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-07-2019, 10:57   #10
Ectoplasm

Quiet Sunday? Time on your hands? Why not dig through the old record collection and pick a few tunes...
Thanks from:
08-07-2019, 11:58   #11
Pretzill

I'm in thanks Ectoplasm
Thanks from:
09-07-2019, 12:15   #12
Baggly
Of house Pter

Im in!
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 09:24   #13
Green&Red

In, although I'm not overly happy with my movie song, I'll have to think on that one some more

The story question along with a spam email this morning reminded me that of a guy who will write a song for you. Great present, I got it for the OH one christmas, sent him off about 10 details and he came up with the song, brilliant
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 09:58   #14
tusk

YES!
10-07-2019, 10:22   #15
Mollyb60

I'm definitely submitting for this but it'll have to wait till I'm back from my holiday. I'll have a think over the weekend.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion