Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer - boost switch - how to ?

Options
  • 01-07-2019 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone advise here please.
    The local 'handyman' couldn't figure out how to wire this timer switch in to control our immersion.

He says that because the existing immersion control switch has both bath and sink options that there are four wires coming out of it and the timer I was sold has only three, so he can't fit it ?

Existing switch is the fairly common one that has on/off and sink/bath switches on it.

ios.jpg

The timer is this Sangamo one:

Sangamo-PSS-Power-Saver-Select-Immersion-Timer-3680-W.jpg

I didn't want him to replace the existing control switch..
    I thought you would just put the timer inline with the existing switch (before it like) and just leave the existing control switch to the On position and leave either bath or sink selected...

But he didn't like the sound of that at all...

I'm just trying to have the tank warm in summer so I can have a shower without having to have the heating coming on...

Is it dangerous to put this timer inline with the existing switch or is yer man wrong?

The box says its a 16A switch like...

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First off your “handyman” is clearly out of his depth. It is inadvisable to use someone that doesn’t know what they are doing when working with a potentially lethal voltage.

To answer your question, the timer should be rated to switch at least the same current as the MCB protecting it is rated for. So if the immersion MCB is rated for 16A then using a timer rated for 16A is permitted. As you say the timer can be installed upstream of the immersion switch.

For your own peace of mind you would be better off using a qualified electrician to do this work. Handymen have been know to do some crazy sh!t :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Should be fine to put it before the immersion switch , then just switch it to sink or bath as you please. There's also timers out the that have a sink/bath option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kramer1 wrote: »
    Should be fine to put it before the immersion switch , then just switch it to sink or bath as you please. There's also timers out the that have a sink/bath option.

Any that I found (they're called '2 channel') were subject to the Economy 7 system in the UK. Whereby the Bath element could only be heated during off-peak periods.

For example, on the Sangamo website, there is only one 2 channel timer and the user manual says the following....

This product differs from a simple time switch as it has programs built in that match with Economy 7, Economy 10 and Eco 20:20 electricity tariffs.

This ensures your tank operates during off peak times avoiding expensive peak use. As such this controller is not freely programmable

https://www.sangamo.co.uk/collections/economy-7-controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have the timer in the photo. It's a little bulky but apart from that it's a good timer. Using the boost button will pay for the timer overtime.

If your handyman didn't know that he should install the timer before the sink/bath switch & not after it then I wouldn't trust him to do any wiring in the house. He might be good at most handyman jobs but electrical isn't his forte

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Oh that handyman has had the run put on him.
    He was part of a crew that were brought in to revamp my bathroom and to a man they were goons.
    I fell for the swanky website etc..
    I've run the lot of them and they are not getting paid the remainder either.

I will definitely look for a qualified electrician but they seem to be hard to find for small jobs like this...

Anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

At least he had the sense not to try the install when he was unsure, so be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

vidapura wrote: »
    they are not getting paid the remainder either.

That may not be a legally correct position to adopt.

Advertisement