Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Units in Longford

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

I heard reports on the radio say that it was a feud between 5 families? Are they all against each other or are there 2 sides with different families working together on each ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

These lads have been let run unfettered for over 20 years now, and garda have pretty much turned a blind eye. One of the principles of one of the families concerned has been a major wholesale distribution of drugs for many, many years. Apparently the families are having a bit of a falling out of late, possibly due to the main man getting older and losing his grip of the young guns.

These lads have been living it large in big houses and lavish lifestyles for many years. Only the CAB can hurt them now, but it could have been nipped in the bud back in the 1990s when they were building their power base.

Shame political will and inaction, along with an underresoursed police force not doing their job for many years, has allowed the town to be controlled by scumbags and gangsters. Many decent people with families, that could afford to move to other areas, have left the town altogether and left it to be taken over by low rent housing, and helped create ghettos for migrants, which is storing up more social problems for years to come.
    This PR posturing for the cameras ON RTE isn't going to solve anything either, bring in CAB and hit the assets of these gangsters.

TBF, given the chance, most migrants want to better themselves, get a steady job, educate their kids and pay their way unlike those in the cultural community.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

TBF, given the chance, most migrants want to better themselves, get a steady job, educate their kids and pay their way unlike those in the cultural community.

I don't disagree.

However, areas of Longford Town have been abandoned, property is owned by absentee landlords, estates are let run down and become derelict or semi derilict, and they are not being policed. It's a perfect environment for crime and antisocial behaviors to thrive.

The migrants if anything are victims in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

These lads have been let run unfettered for over 20 years now, and garda have pretty much turned a blind eye. One of the principles of one of the families concerned has been a major wholesale distribution of drugs for many, many years. Apparently the families are having a bit of a falling out of late, possibly due to the main man getting older and losing his grip of the young guns.

These lads have been living it large in big houses and lavish lifestyles for many years. Only the CAB can hurt them now, but it could have been nipped in the bud back in the 1990s when they were building their power base.

Shame political will and inaction, along with an underresoursed police force not doing their job for many years, has allowed the town to be controlled by scumbags and gangsters. Many decent people with families, that could afford to move to other areas, have left the town altogether and left it to be taken over by low rent housing, and helped create ghettos for migrants, which is storing up more social problems for years to come.
    This PR posturing for the cameras ON RTE isn't going to solve anything either, bring in CAB and hit the assets of these gangsters.

The likes of CAB may not want negative press from the likes of kitty Holland, colette ( no evidence of african gangs in North Dublin) browne or RTE prime time, the racist card can be easily played now since ethnic status was attained

Travellers have a degree of immunity from investigation and of course this further emboldens them, liberals have us where we are today re_ the traveller menace

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think CAB would care.

They seem to be very good at investigating, and I am sure they will be able to confiscate cars, money, jewellery etc around Longford and have enough evidence without having to worry about being accused of racism.

Then after Longford they could maybe start on a lot of the halting sites around the country with their 191 top of the range SUVs owned by welfare claimants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Whoa daily armed patrols is no joke, have any other towns been put on lockdown like this in recent times ?

You have to fight units with units; armed with absolute. Hopefully in the future we will have big robots to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Joking aside i just saw one of them make a comment on RTE news

Was the comment about the 99% giving the 1% a bad name?

hehe. Funny you should say that as I distinctly recall a woman from Ballynacargy telling me years ago, with a big sneering Westmeath laugh, that "Ballymahon is full of knackers; it's like Navan, Drogheda and Darndale all in one."

She'd know all about knickers being from Ballynacargy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What are we talking here... water cannon and battering rams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Will foreign tourists make the same distinction? Especially when the name is CenterParcs Longford.

Battlefield tourism is very popular. Think of the thousands that visit Normandy and Flanders every year.
    I think there should be great scope for the development of tourism.
    Mock drive by shootings, tiger kidnappings etc. The kids will love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Edgware wrote:
    Battlefield tourism is very popular. Think of the thousands that visit Normandy and Flanders every year. I think there should be great scope for the development of tourism. Mock drive by shootings, tiger kidnappings etc. The kids will love it

Big difference between a historical battlefield and a very active 'battlefield' . I suppose a glimpse of the culture of our ethnic minoritie's may be interesting once the eye of a combatant is not caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Gerry G wrote: »
    She'd know all about knickers being from Ballynacargy

Played football many times against Ball, had a player known only as “Hairy Arse”, kinda says it all about the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

OOnegative wrote: »
    Played football many times against Ball, had a player known only as “Hairy Arse”, kinda says it all about the village.

Was that the women’s team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

So-called pc RTE calling it as it is, without euphimisms.

No they are too cute to say it themselves.

They are quoting a Garda Superintendent. The gardai are known for being not quite as PC as everyone else. They often called a spade a spade, rather than a manual soil moving implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Has big ears Barrett and his national party gowls come out and blamed the migrant population in Longford yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think CAB would care.

Rathkeale says you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Has big ears Barrett and his national party gowls come out and blamed the migrant population in Longford yet?

Gemma was trying to frame it that way.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1141436377252450304

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

May or may not be related to this feud but sounds like a house in the town has been fire bombed. Breaking glass and a small explosion were heard and the entire house has gone up in flames apparently.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/425547/breaking-emergency-services-at-scene-of-longford-house-fire.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Where is Martin Collins Pavee Point Dr Sindy Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pentecost wrote: »
    May or may not be related to this feud but sounds like a house in the town has been fire bombed. Breaking glass and a small explosion were heard and the entire house has gone up in flames apparently.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/425547/breaking-emergency-services-at-scene-of-longford-house-fire.html

No suggestion locally that this is linked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

This country has become an absolute nonsense & political policing & pussyfoot policing an absokute joke. Do what they do on Portmarnock beach with the city scangera and bus in the riot police,round them up into the paddywaggons and lock them up and prosecute them. And I mean jail time,not probation or suspended sentencing. We are the laughing stock of crime scum and uts about time the laws were changed to stop granting unlimted bail and free legal aid to criminal families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Pentecost wrote: »

Don't think it is. I'm not aware of any travellers living in Teffia. Pauric Culum Heights, just off it, maybe...but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Armed Units in Longford.

Bring back Lugs Branigan.

policarp wrote: »
    Armed Units in Longford.

Bring back Lugs Branigan.

He wouldn't be very effective, sure he's about 110 years old at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mr.Maroon wrote: »

Oh yes, has filmed a "walk around" with the failed Presidential candidate after she posted a Class photo of St.Johns National school.
    Half the children were a few shades too brown for her liking, so she decided that "Longford is lost".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

bigpink wrote: »
    Where is Martin Collins Pavee Point Dr Sindy Joyce

PP have called for mediation. Nearly p*ssed myself laughing at that one.

Such a shame the traveller thread was closed on AH, whole thing could have been discussed on there, very fitting title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

PP have called for mediation. Nearly p*ssed myself laughing at that one.

Such a shame the traveller thread was closed on AH, whole thing could have been discussed on there, very fitting title.

Mediation was offered in Longford but they declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The families involved should be rounded up and shipped off to one of the deserted islands off the west coast. Have a hunger games style event and sell the broadcast rights. Two good outcomes the feuding combatants will be decimated and finally they will contribute something back to society by way of broadcast royalties.

Advertisement