Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Post & Rail

Options
  • 23-04-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I’m looking for some recommendations here folks

I have about 250 meters of a boundary to put up and was thinking Post & Rail

Options
    2k timber
    3.5k cresoted
    7.5k PVC

I would like to go with PVC but the price is a fright
    Anyone have any experience with importing PVC fencing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's a crowd in castlebar you could try for pvc, i got stuff off them before, not too bad pricewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

enricoh wrote: »
    There's a crowd in castlebar you could try for pvc, i got stuff off them before, not too bad pricewise.

Is that the recycled plastic products or another supplier doing pvc?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

A company in Cork who manufacture PVC fences and gates. I have no connection.

.snip.

Two rails rather than three would be cheaper. There could be an iron upright in the posts, make sure to include it in the price.

I know where there is a short length of off off pvc fence. It is over twenty years old and still perfect. Needs to be washed about twice a year, but is under trees.

No post and rail is stockproof and needs an electric fence to stop horses or cattle from breaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know this is subjective, but they look really horrible to me. Like a life-size dolls house accessory.

It's difficult to get a sense of it from a photo, but the dark recycled plastic fencing blends in much more naturally, and is probably more environmentally sustainable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Comments / recommendation on specific companies by PM thanks

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I know this is subjective, but they look really horrible to me. Like a life-size dolls house accessory.

It's difficult to get a sense of it from a photo, but the dark recycled plastic fencing blends in much more naturally, and is probably more environmentally sustainable.

That’s quite the damning review 😀

I would agree they don’t look as good as the authentic timber version but I don’t want to have to do it a few times in my lifetime, I’ve seen too many timber fences on the ground after wind in the last few years

Thanks for the recycled plastic recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Post and rail shouldn't get blown over since there's hardly any surface exposed to the wind. It'll eventually fall over when the posts rot in the ground.

I think recycled plastic fencing is great for Irish weather conditions, since the alternative is treated timber which cannot be recycled as far as I know, or burned domestically. But it is shockingly expensive.

An alternative approach is timber post and rail and then a cheap bareroot hedge or hedgerow planted 1m inside. By the time the fence fails (at least 10 years, but could be much longer) you'll have a lovely mature hedge and won't need the fence. I'm doing this on a couple of my boundary lines.

Hedges have the major advantage of unlimited height compared to a fence which cannot be taller than 2m without planning, and if you pick right they can be a great habitat for wildlife, food source, security, or several of these things (pyracantha).

Lumen wrote: »
    Post and rail shouldn't get blown over since there's hardly any surface exposed to the wind. It'll eventually fall over when the posts rot in the ground.

I think recycled plastic fencing is great for Irish weather conditions, since the alternative is treated timber which cannot be recycled as far as I know, or burned domestically. But it is shockingly expensive.

An alternative approach is timber post and rail and then a cheap bareroot hedge or hedgerow planted 1m inside. By the time the fence fails (at least 10 years, but could be much longer) you'll have a lovely mature hedge and won't need the fence. I'm doing this on a couple of my boundary lines.

Hedges have the major advantage of unlimited height compared to a fence which cannot be taller than 2m without planning, and if you pick right they can be a great habitat for wildlife, food source, security, or several of these things (pyracantha).

They shouldn’t blow over but eventually they do unfortunately

I have priced the recycled plastic option and simply can’t afford it. It’s between Cresoted timber and PVC now for me I think

Thanks for the hedge suggestion but I think there would be too much hedge to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

The Pvc fences are horrible looking and extremely brittle after a couple of years. They fade badly and when a piece does break you won’t be able to match it easily as profiles will usually change and they will have faded. Timber will last just as long if maintained properly, plenty of creosote around the ground level every year or two and worse case scenario you might have to put a new post in, and it won’t stand out like a sore thumb.

Who2 wrote: »
    The Pvc fences are horrible looking and extremely brittle after a couple of years. They fade badly and when a piece does break you won’t be able to match it easily as profiles will usually change and they will have faded. Timber will last just as long if maintained properly, plenty of creosote around the ground level every year or two and worse case scenario you might have to put a new post in, and it won’t stand out like a sore thumb.

Are they really that horrible looking?

I have not seen many but I didn’t think they were too bad, granted I have seen very few as they don’t appear that popular

• Advertisement
Advertisement