Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staying Alive - An AED Map for Ireland

• 03-04-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭

We are very fortunate here in Ireland that we have many community groups, businesses and other organisations that have automatic external defibrillators available should a member of the public need them. The unfortunate thing is, that, while everyone might know of the location of one or two, say at work or the local football pitch, AEDs can be hard to find, especially when you're in a new locality. There was a project a few years ago to map the locations of AEDs in Ireland a few but that seems to have died unfortunately. That was a real shame because these devices do save lives every day and could save even more if the people that need them can access them in time. The chances of successful defibrillation decrease at a rate of between 7 to 10% for each minute that passes and without CPR the chance of successful defibrillation is practically zero after 10mins. There probably isn't a person in the country who doesn't not of know someone whose died from a heart attack.

Thankfully aedmap.org (who I'm not affiliated with in any way btw) have released an app that maps these lifesaving devices, but the map is crowdsourced. This is where people here come in: if everyone that reads this thread added just one AED that they knew of, we would have a comprehensive map of the country.

Go on, download the app, it's called Staying Alive
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilehealth.cardiac

Add a device, and keep the app. It might save you or someone you love someday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Great idea. Should i the one that’s in my workplace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

And make sure you know C.P.R. No point standing there waiting for someone to come with the A.E.D. while the patient is quickly dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

great idea, but reviews dont look too great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Great idea. Should i the one that’s in my workplace?
    Yes you can. The app let's you add office hours too.
    Edgware wrote: »
    And make sure you know C.P.R. No point standing there waiting for someone to come with the A.E.D. while the patient is quickly dying

Very good point. Someone should perform CPR while another person gets the AED. If CPR is performed there is a20% chance of successful defribrillation after 10mins, which isn't great but is better than zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Cmon, I'm the only one that immediately thought of this tune. ..

Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother
    You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
    Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'
    And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive
    Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
    Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

Great idea.
    Added a few locally. My sister runs the local heart save group so will talk to her about the rest, there a a good few more in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cmon, I'm the only one that immediately thought of this tune. ..

A good few new AEDs have appeared on the map today, id like to think it's due to the contribution of posters here.

If anyone doesn't want to download the app but knows of the location of a device they can post it here.

A good few new AEDs have appeared on the map today, id like to think it's due to the contribution of posters here.

If anyone doesn't want to download the app but knows of the location of a device they can post it here.

It's been heartening (pardon the pun) to see that coverage across the country has increased greatly in the past month although there are still lots of areas without coverage, like Galway city and cavan county.

Well done to all boardsies that have contributed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Cool idea can we share this on social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

App is showing up as malware.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    App is showing up as malware.

It's verified by Google play protect, and it's created by a charity so I dont think it's malware.

Cool idea can we share this on social media?
    Yes, of course you can share :D The more people that contribute, the better and more useful the map will be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's verified by Google play protect, and it's created by a charity so I dont think it's malware.

Yes, of course you can share :D The more people that contribute, the better and more useful the map will be :)

YAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Every workplace with over 20 people working in it should have to have this by law, would save loads of people for minimum cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

There's 2 in Gort town that I know of. One outside the Credit Union and the other outside Paddy Powers bookmaker.

Advertisement