Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Tour De Burren (with Wiggins!)

Options
  • 28-03-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

“The Burren Cycling Club, organisers of the Tour de Burren, are honoured and excited that Sir Wiggins has chosen the Tour de Burren as his inaugural Irish event to cycle,” the club said in a statement.

I haven't done this one before, so I might give it a go! go on go on go on.
    From last year's Strava it looks lumpy !
    Anyone else signing up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

Thanks for reminding me.
    This was my first ever event in 2014 (and first ever cycle over 80km) so it’s a 5 year anniversary for me.
    Just reg now. Starts and finished outside my wife’s uncle’s pub and it’s on a Saturday.
    I’ll offer Sir Brad a pint.....if he admits to what was in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭patoh

what were the organizers thinking off inviting this guy over ? Really!!!
    This guy and Team sky still have many questions to answer.

Event is fine tough dead roads but Wiggins I cant believe it of all the Pro's they could find.

patoh wrote: »
    what were the organizers thinking off inviting this guy over ? Really!!!
    This guy and Team sky still have many questions to answer.

Event is fine tough dead roads but Wiggins I cant believe it of all the Pro's they could find.

As distasteful it might seem to a close observer, He’s still and always will be Olympic champ and Tour de France champ. That’s what he is to most casual sports fans. Plenty of proven or confessed dopers have major sportives , Brad only has allegations.
    Sportive scene was slowing down a bit so this might give it a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I wonder is he having to pay the registration or is he getting to do it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s a great event, very well organised and run, so I’ll be doing it!

Wiggins?? Meh! I’ve had chats and charged down the Ballyalban section trying to keep the wheel of King Kelly over the years here and always enjoyed it. Can’t think I’d have any interest in chatting/ getting pics with Wiggo, his attendance wouldn’t influence my decision to take part either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Let’s hope he doesn’t get heckled on the day by some fool.
    He hasn’t been found guilty of anything yet and has as many questions to answer as Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche I’d say anyway.
    You might not like him but he’s not as big an asshole as Conor McGregror and the Irish lap him up.
    If Wiggins was Irish he’d be a hero over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

He might not like him but he’s not as big an asshole as Conor McGregror

You are setting the bar pretty low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

You are setting the bar pretty low

Is some people eyes yes.
    Others droll over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

He was a guest at the maratona in 2017 and behaved like a spoilt, self important twat (which is no surprise given that's what he is) when interviewed at the start and during the cycle apparently.
    Let's see if he continues in that vain. I wouldn't go to a an event he was at if I was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Wiggins , the man who claims that he just wants to be a normal guy . Hates the spotlight , repeatedly asks to be left alone .....

Then agrees to be the star attraction at a Sportive??! Anybody think it's €10k well spent ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Wiggins , the man who claims that he just wants to be a normal guy . Hates the spotlight , repeatedly asks to be left alone .....

Then agrees to be the star attraction at a Sportive??! Anybody think it's €10k well spent ?

He's a complete and utter phoney, if he was chocolate he'd eat himself. Normal guy my arse, he's a fraud in every sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

terrydel wrote: »
    He's a complete and utter phoney, if he was chocolate he'd eat himself. Normal guy my arse, he's a fraud in every sense of the word.

Can't recall what show it was... but he went back to his old childhood cycling club. He claimed he didn't want to be noticed... so for the first while he stood around outside, and when nobody noticed him he went inside and made a big deal out of showing up to lap up the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes, the Friday cynicism is turned up to eleven!

I say fair play to the Burren Cycling Club for the promotional coup in securing a bona fide cycling household name (& there aren't many of those). I hope it draws crowds for them. Personally I must say I'd be more inclined to go for the sole purpose of seeing the man himself in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Unfortunately going to be working on Saturday (had it booked off but needs must) so I have a spare entry if anyone wants it.
    I presume you can transfer entries.

If they have a charity collection throw a few euros towards it in lieu of payment to me : )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Doc07 wrote: »
    I’ll offer Sir Brad a pint.....if he admits to what was in the bag!

hayfever meds, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Greytop

Hi Marvin

I would be interested in having the entry and will gladly;) make a contribution to a local Clare charity as I am living in the area

marvin80 wrote: »
    Unfortunately going to be working on Saturday (had it booked off but needs must) so I have a spare entry if anyone wants it.
    I presume you can transfer entries.

If they have a charity collection throw a few euros towards it in lieu of payment to me : )

Hi Marvin

I would like to avail of your generous offer as I live in the area and will gladly make an contribution to a local charity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Greytop wrote: »
    Hi Marvin

I would be interested in having the entry and will gladly;) make a contribution to a local Clare charity as I am living in the area

PM sent

Hi Marvin

Email address redacted

mod note - best not to have an email address in a public forum! PMs are best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

A lot of neg heads on here regarding Wiggins, he’s up his own whatever, so what, big deal. I think he’s to be commended for coming over and taking part in the tour de burren. How often do you get an opportunity to ride an event with an ex Tour de France winner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

who_ru wrote: »
    A lot of neg heads on here regarding Wiggins, he’s up his own whatever, so what, big deal. I think he’s to be commended for coming over and taking part in the tour de burren. How often do you get an opportunity to ride an event with an ex Tour de France winner?

Same here I think it's great to be honest. We're away to ballyvaughan in the morning for the weekend - the wife can't wait to meet him (hopefully we actually do get alongside but it might be difficult I suppose)
    He was brilliant on eurosport for the Giro.,.I think we watched more of the in-studio stuff than the race itself when he was on it!

andy69 wrote: »
    Same here I think it's great to be honest. We're away to ballyvaughan in the morning for the weekend - the wife can't wait to meet him (hopefully we actually do get alongside but it might be difficult I suppose)
    He was brilliant on eurosport for the Giro.,.I think we watched more of the in-studio stuff than the race itself when he was on it!

Yes he was surprisingly good on it. There was a freshness about him... the positive side of a frank personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wiggo is a DNS!

The replacement is Sam Bennett :)

https://twitter.com/tourdeburren/status/1142067910447382528

Personally I would prefer Sam than Wiggins if I was doing the sportive (I wish I was). Although for participants who follow very, very little pro cycling, they may be more familiar with Wiggins?

Was interested to meet Wiggins but not dissappointed and half expected. I even told my wife few weeks ago I’d not be surprised if he pulled out.
    Still should be good day. Finishes outside one of best pubs in ireland and will be delighted to get a pic with Sam instead
    @#saddesperatefanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Damn, now what will I do with the'jiffy' bag ðŸ€
    And I also have to sprint past Kelly and Bennett ðŸ
    /happy out with that news actually 😎

Wiggo is a DNS!

The replacement is Sam Bennett :)

https://twitter.com/tourdeburren/status/1142067910447382528

Personally I would prefer Sam than Wiggins if I was doing the sportive (I wish I was). Although for participants who follow very, very little pro cycling, they may be more familiar with Wiggins?

If anybody cycling it is not well familiar with SB by now, I'd suggest they start familiarizing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Doc07 wrote: »
    ... Finishes outside one of best pubs in ireland...
    @#saddesperatefanboy

Just back from a few pints there - she even opened early for this weekend at 6pm! Yee ha! Great pub!
    We thought maybe Sir Wiggo might have popped in for a pint if he had be been here but seeing as Sam is a serving professional and mid season doubt he's gonna make an appearance. Ah well, we'll be on his wheel in the morning ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Both Kelly and Sam were sitting for photos at the finish, I reckon almost everyone had their photo taken with them. Nice touch I thought and not something you get at most events.

It was a nice day out overall, a bit windy coming home and uneven surfaces in places to be diplomatic about it. Nice hoody at the end and I was lucky enough to meet Sean Kelly about 30mins before the start and got a photo with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm rackled to pieces - that gravel section near the start of the 130km nearly took out people ahead of me and gave me quite a fright. Recovered from that but found alot of the rest of the course very heavy going with the road surfaces. Happy to have it done, first time doing the long distance and while Strava says I got in 1000km of climbing, I found there were no real hills today. Found the finishing 20km tough but loved the ice cream at finish and the hoodie quite a good quality one too. ROK is next - seemed like a god idea when I signed up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Anyone know what time Sam Bennett finished in yesterday? I'd love to know how my measly 27km/h stacks up against him!

Advertisement