Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSB St Patrick's Festival 5k

• 17-03-2019 7:34pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Monday 18 March 12:00pm Dublin city centre

My first time doing this but looks like a fast route.
    Event was cancelled last year due to snow so could be a high attendance

http://www.msbac.ie/
    Route Map

Not clear if there's a bag drop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭digiman

I've just signed up, do you just pick up your bib on the day near the start line?

I got an email to say that I have paid but nothing else so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

digiman wrote: »
    I've just signed up, do you just pick up your bib on the day near the start line?

I got an email to say that I have paid but nothing else so far

Start is the other side of Stephens green from the registration hall etc, so make sure you got 5/10mins to make it across. All the info up on msbac.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Does anyone know if there’s usually a bag drop? Few questions asked about it on their FB page but no answer that I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

A friend of mine just texted to say there is a bag drop and that it all looks very well organised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

That was a great race. I entered on the day, no queue. Great organisation.

Nice course.

Bit windy in places today. Felt like wind was always against us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That was a superbly organised race! Fair play to all involved. It ran like clockwork. Honestly it felt like DCM levels of organisation at a club race. The Mansion House was an amazing race HQ and the on course marshaling was excellent. No sambos!!

Very well run race today, Mansion House was a cool reg area to have for it as well. Also managed my fastest 5km in about 4 years which I was delighted with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Really enjoyed the run (despite the wind!), fair play to all involved in the organising, it was really great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I really love this race - a nice, flat, city centre course, and really inclusive - there's always a fast field up the front, loads of club runners do it, but it's also a fun run, with loads of joggers, and tourists and people in St Patric's Day costumes. So there's something for everyone. And it's made for Raheny Shamrocks, outfit wise :)!
    I was worried before the race as I've had a hamstring niggle and hadn't run since last Tuesday, but I just thought I'd try my best, run it as hard as I could, and slow down if I had too much pain. And I felt great! My hamstring is a bit tight now, I'll admit, but during the race it felt great.
    I just loved the whole race. There were a lot of runners I knew running; that's something I always find helps me a lot in races. My friend Other H from Another Club & I started beside each other and we were more or less neck and neck, or taking turns to pull away for the first few k. I could also see a Donore lady I know up ahead and was trying to reel her in (which I managed temporarily, but she reeled me in again and flew past me to the finish).
    Once we got to the canal MrDrak eased past me and said a few words. I tried to tuck in behind him into the wind (sorry MrD!), but he got away from me. But having him ahead of me helped pull me along, and I passed a few other women here.
    I'm pretty happy with how I ran. 20.43, 29th F, and we came second of the women's teams. I'd like to have been faster, but I gave it my all, and hopefully faster times will come when the summer comes and the weather gets less breezy!
    It was great to catch up with so many club mates afterwards at race HQ and in Buswells. Met some boards people too (MarthaStew & others)
    Thanks MSB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great race by MSB, well organised, marshalled and supported as always.

Great to see both the seasoned as well as fun runners partake.

Nice to finished in the City Centre, with the option of a pint after :D

Happy with the performance yesterday, although I had run St Annes Parkrun as a hard effort on Saturday and an LSR on the Sunday, so anything sub 21 would be a good result considering. Very happy with the 20:26 considering the above. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - seems to be quite positive anyway! Not on the organising committee, but I was marshalling, and it was great to see so many familiar faces giving their all, in what seems to have been a deceptively tough 5k! Hopefully more of the same next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

First time for me running this one, having volunteered with aquinn a couple of years ago.

Really well organised race with good support on the course. Thanks to all the volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Usual top class race as always, with a great standard in it. The only minor thing, a hell of alot of garmins seem to be suggesting the course is roughly 100m long.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Usual top class race as always, with a great standard in it. The only minor thing, a hell of alot of garmins seem to be suggesting the course is roughly 100m long.

Mines came in at 5.12km and I also think the timing mat didn't like up with the start or finish line. So my official time was about 5s less than what I had on my watch which I won't complain about!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Is it a AAI approved race? If so, it's accurate. GPS watches will be a bit off especially with 90° bends it can gain/loose distance. Also the measurements are taking from the centre of the route so it you are cutting in at corners you will lose some distance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mine was 100m long but I started my watch as I went through the gantry rather than at the timing mat. I assume the gantry was the finish rather than the start, so it was my own error.

Really nice race. It was great to run through Dublin city centre. Top-notch organisation. Well done, MSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Also the measurements are taking from the centre of the route

Measurements wouldn't be taken from the centre of the route, they'd be on the shortest possible route - running the tangents, 1m out from each corner.

But yeah, more accurate than the garmin, especially on a route like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is it a AAI approved race? If so, it's accurate.

There have been a few AAI-approved races that were the wrong distance (including this one, I think, a few years ago). It means the race organisers have made a real effort to get the distance right, but sometimes turnaround points and gantries are put in the wrong places, or the route gets changed at the last minute... mistakes are made.

Just checked and the 2020 race is cancelled.

Kind of expected at this stage, pity as i always loved doing this one.

I think the 2018 race was also cancelled due to the snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yip, correct D. I can understand why.

2018 was cancelled due to snow, and hence 2018 entrants were offered either a refund or entry to 2019. At the time of writing, I do not know what will be happening in relation to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Poor old MSB. It's a great race, and I'm sure they'd put a lot of work into organising it.
    Hope they have better luck in 2021.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hope they have better luck in 2021.

2021, the year of the Zombie Apocalypse ? :D

Advertisement